• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pioneer DVR-112D

DetroitBaseball

My Pioneer DVR-112D is starting to puke on me. It wont read CDs properly. I just bought this in early 2007 and have not used it a whole lot. Does anyone know why it might be doing this? Or if it is dieing, what would be a good replacement?

My Pioneer DVR-112D is starting to puke on me. It wont read CDs properly. I just bought this in early 2007 and have not used it a whole lot. Does anyone know why it might be doing this? Or if it is dieing, what would be a good replacement?

Unfortunately, the price of $30-$50 drives seem to leave little headroom for good quality control. As you can see at cdfreaks, many people believe your burner is one of the best: http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD__RW/

Other than looking for an updated firmware for your burner or cleaning your discs, you may want to send your burner in for repair/replacement (contact Pioneer or the place you bought the drive from) as it is likely still under warranty.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the price of $30-$50 drives seem to leave little headroom for good quality control. As you can see at cdfreaks, many people believe your burner is one of the best: http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/DVD__RW/

Other than looking for an updated firmware for your burner or cleaning your discs, you may want to send your burner in for repair/replacement (contact Pioneer or the place you bought the drive from) as it is likely still under warranty.
I got the latest firmware and it still plays and writes DVDs so I am puzzled as to why it won't read CDs.

I got the latest firmware and it still plays and writes DVDs so I am puzzled as to why it won't read CDs.

While I haven't looked into this for awhile, I was once told by a tech that two different lasers are used: one for cds and another for dvds. Having never opened a burner, I'll take the tech's word for it.

While I haven't looked into this for awhile, I was once told by a tech that two different lasers are used: one for cds and another for dvds. Having never opened a burner, I'll take the tech's word for it.
I barely ever used it for CDs. Will Pioneer fix it for free?

I barely ever used it for CDs. Will Pioneer fix it for free?

If the drive is under warranty (and I think it is a 1 year warranty), they have to fix it or offer your a replacement burner, I'm pretty sure. Generally speaking, you pay for shipping one way, and they pay the return shipping. That's generally how things work. You will likely need to contact Pioneer and receive an RMA number.

Did you test your burner's capacity to read cds when you bought it? Perhaps it was DOA?

If the drive is under warranty (and I think it is a 1 year warranty), they have to fix it or offer your a replacement burner, I'm pretty sure. Generally speaking, you pay for shipping one way, and they pay the return shipping. That's generally how things work. You will likely need to contact Pioneer and receive an RMA number.

Did you test your burner's capacity to read cds when you bought it? Perhaps it was DOA?
I am pretty sure I used a CD in it before with no problems. I am trying to find how to send it on the Pioneer website right now.

I am pretty sure I used a CD in it before with no problems. I am trying to find how to send it on the Pioneer website right now.

First contact the place where you bought the drive from. If they won't help you, then contact Pioneer USA, and request an RMA number first (before sending anything as an RMA number is generally required before you send back defective items to companies).

First contact the place where you bought the drive from. If they won't help you, then contact Pioneer USA, and request an RMA number first (before sending anything as an RMA number is generally required before you send back defective items to companies).
I bought it off Newegg. I went on the Pioneer website but cannot find anything useful. I'm never buying any Pioneer products again.

I bought it off Newegg. I went on the Pioneer website but cannot find anything useful. I'm never buying any Pioneer products again.

All companies sell burners that fail. It's just a part of life (then again, these burners may suffer from quality control issues; it's too soon to tell).

Contact Newegg (tell them the burner is still under warranty), and while you're doing that I'll look up the Pioneer contact information for you.

Last edited:
For Service & Support Please Contact Us At:

Support Icon Small 1925 E. Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
Call (800) 421-1404

Hours of operation:
24 hours a day for most services. Hours for product service, product operation and parts inquires:
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Eastern (all product inquiries).
Sat. - Sun. 11:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Eastern (plasma, DVD recorder, navigation inquiries only).

Or you can email them: click http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/contact/us/0,,2076_310069585,00.html

I contacted Newegg. Unfortunately all I have is the burner, I do not have anything else to send back with it. Is that ok?

For Service & Support Please Contact Us At:

Support Icon Small 1925 E. Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
Call (800) 421-1404

Hours of operation:
24 hours a day for most services. Hours for product service, product operation and parts inquires:
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Eastern (all product inquiries).
Sat. - Sun. 11:00 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. Eastern (plasma, DVD recorder, navigation inquiries only).

Or you can email them: click http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/contact/us/0,,2076_310069585,00.html
Thanks, I e-mailed Pioneer.

I contacted Newegg. Unfortunately all I have is the burner, I do not have anything else to send back with it. Is that ok?

I don't know, but I suspect that's normal if you bought an oem drive (non-retail box product). You'd need to ask Newegg. You also need an RMA number from Newegg. I'm not in the U.S., and I've never shopped at Newegg. I'd give them a call. You will likely need your receipt or something to indicate proof of purchase.

Phone Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm PST

Toll Free: (800) 390-1119
Local: (909) 395-9046
Fax: (909) 395-8907

If Newegg gives you a hard time, then try calling Pioneer.

I don't know, but I suspect that's normal if you bought an oem drive (non-retail box product). You'd need to ask Newegg. You also need an RMA number from Newegg. I'm not in the U.S., and I've never shopped at Newegg. I'd give them a call. You will likely need your receipt or something to indicate proof of purchase.

Phone Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm PST

Toll Free: (800) 390-1119
Local: (909) 395-9046
Fax: (909) 395-8907

If Newegg gives you a hard time, then try calling Pioneer.
I don't have any proof of purchase but maybe Newegg could verify it with online records or something. I'm gonna wait to see what Newegg and Pioneer have to say though.

I don't have any proof of purchase but maybe Newegg could verify it with online records or something. I'm gonna wait to see what Newegg and Pioneer have to say though.

Those 1-800 numbers should be toll free (shouldn't cost anything), by the way. I hate waiting for places to respond to my emails, so I usually call (but it's up to you, of course).

Those 1-800 numbers should be toll free (shouldn't cost anything), by the way. I hate waiting for places to respond to my emails, so I usually call (but it's up to you, of course).
I'm kinda flattered to know I got the #1 burner rated by CD Freaks. I think when I was looking for a new drive you actually told me not get the 112D because it was unproven. It has worked great until now though. I am tempted to open the tower and reconnect the cables to see if somehow something got loose or something, lol.

I have been searching the pioneer sites for the last 15 min. and I can not find anything referring to RMA. :confused: I would suggest contact newegg and ask them for some info. They have always been more than helpful to me if I have any problems contacting a manufacturer.

I have been searching the pioneer sites for the last 15 min. and I can not find anything referring to RMA. :confused: I would suggest contact newegg and ask them for some info. They have always been more than helpful to me if I have any problems contacting a manufacturer.
I did contact newegg. Thanks joe. I had the same problem though, I couldn't find anything on the pioneer website.

Back