• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Laptop or Desktop?

Do you own a laptop or a desktop?

• Total voters
awesome desktop : pentium d 4.1ghz, 2gb ddr2 820 ram, radeon x1600 512mb onboard, 1tb (250gbx4) hdd in raid 5, 2 partitions, xp pro sp2 and vista ultimate (primary), slysoft suite, office 07 enterprise, memorex 18x dvdrw drive, liquid cooling, 19" monitor, 7:1 surround sound (works awesome with vista upmixing to 7:1 in every movie), xbox 360 wired controller (preferred controller:bowdown:, esp in fps) startup, xp pro ~2:30, vista ~:45

crappy laptop : pentium 3 500mhz, 128mb pc 100 ram, 6 gb hdd, dvdrom drive, with xp pro sp2 and office 07 enterprise installed (no antivirus, would hit performance too much, ;) just reformat if it gets hit. makes startup relatively fast [~3min] though starting office 07 or firefox takes forever [~1-2 min] and can only have one program running to work well)

awesome desktop : pentium d 4.1ghz, 2gb ddr2 820 ram, radeon x1600 512mb onboard, 1tb (250gbx4) hdd in raid 5, 2 partitions, xp pro sp2 and vista ultimate (primary), slysoft suite, office 07 enterprise, memorex 18x dvdrw drive, liquid cooling, 19" monitor, 7:1 surround sound (works awesome with vista upmixing to 7:1 in every movie), xbox 360 wired controller (preferred controller:bowdown:, esp in fps) startup, xp pro ~2:30, vista ~:45

crappy laptop : pentium 3 500mhz, 128mb pc 100 ram, 6 gb hdd, dvdrom drive, with xp pro sp2 and office 07 enterprise installed (no antivirus, would hit performance too much, ;) just reformat if it gets hit. makes startup relatively fast [~3min] though starting office 07 or firefox takes forever [~1-2 min] and can only have one program running to work well)
4.1 GHz? Is that a typo for 3.1?

I just picked up this laptop for $480, so I got both. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tosh...85199/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It might be an typo but the Pentium D 805 is known to be quite nice when it comes to overclocking. They also note liquid cooling which, to me, means it isn't a typo. Do a quick Google search for "Pentium D" and "4.1 GHz". :)

Last edited:
My specs are posted in my sig and my laptop RAM is gonna be upgraded to 2GB as soon as the modules arrive. I got a steal for $480.

im happy to say its not :D:bowdown::D (it is indeed a pentium D 805 at 4.1 ghz, i got it up to 4.4 but it wouldnt boot, it would boot at 4.3 but wouldnt pass prime 95 until i got it down to 4.1)

i got it before the core2duo came out though, my mobo (Asus P5WD2E Premium) said it would support the next gen intel processors, but i guess the c2d needs some fancy virtualization deally that mine doesnt have. :mad: quite lame really.

i would really enjoy swapping my pD for a c2d and seeing how much of a performance improvement it is. especially if its a quad core (which i know for a fact my mobo cant support - unfortunately)

Last edited:
im happy to say its not :D:bowdown::D (it is indeed a pentium D 805 at 4.1 ghz, i got it up to 4.4 but it wouldnt boot, it would boot at 4.3 but wouldnt pass prime 95 until i got it down to 4.1)

i got it before the core2duo came out though, my mobo (Asus P5WD2E Premium) said it would support the next gen intel processors, but i guess the c2d needs some fancy virtualization deally that mine doesnt have. :mad: quite lame really.

i would really enjoy swapping my pD for a c2d and seeing how much of a performance improvement it is. especially if its a quad core (which i know for a fact my mobo cant support - unfortunately)
I haven't noticed much difference between my 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 and my Intel core-duo 1.73 GHz.

I own an aging desktop : Athlon XP 2.5, 1 GB ram, and so on.
I have to decide what to replace it with and if I'm going to turn it into a Linux box.
It does a good job for most things but I like the occasional game and Bio-Shock and Tabula Rasa are coming out this fall.

My desktop is showing its age.

I've upgraded a few parts recently to get it ready for its next use when I build or buy a new system. This system is a P4 Northwood "B" 2.8 GHz with 1 gig of PC1066 RDRAM. I need to get a more powerful PSU, a nice digital tuner, and then throw in two 500 gig EIDE drives and turn this box into a DVR on a wireless network.

My next system will likely be based on the specs of a higher-end Dell Inspiron 530. Anything less than a 2.4 GHz C2D won't cut it since I have no plans on updating for quite awhile once I get/build the new system. I also want the higher FSB (1333 MHz). In short I want a system that can easily run Vista although I don't really want to run Vista, I want to be able to handle DX10 games [if I do run Vista alongside XP Pro] nicely and I want to be able to easily handle BR/HD content via the applicable drive.

I don't want bleeding edge but I want close to that. Everytime I've gotten a new system I've usually doubled or tripled the power of the existing system I had. It's time to continue the trend. Intel 486 DX2 66 to P133 to P233 to PIII 750 MHz to P4 2.8 GHz to Intel C2D [/i]????[/i]. :D

As far as a laptop. I'd love to have one but can't justify the expense even if it was a cheaper one. It just isn't something I'd use very often.

Last edited:
My desktop is showing its age.

I've upgraded a few parts recently to get it ready for its next use when I build or buy a new system. This system is a P4 Northwood "B" 2.8 GHz with 1 gig of PC1066 RDRAM. I need to get a more powerful PSU, a nice digital tuner, and then throw in two 500 gig EIDE drives and turn this box into a DVR on a wireless network.

My next system will likely be based on the specs of a higher-end Dell Inspiron 530. Anything less than a 2.4 GHz C2D won't cut it since I have no plans on updating for quite awhile once I get/build the new system. I also want the higher FSB (1333 MHz). In short I want a system that can easily run Vista although I don't really want to run Vista, I want to be able to handle DX10 games [if I do run Vista alongside XP Pro] nicely and I want to be able to easily handle BR/HD content via the applicable drive.

I don't want bleeding edge but I was close to that. Everytime I've gotten a new system I've usually doubled or tripped the power of the existing system I had. It's time to continue the trend. :D

As far as a laptop. I'd love to have one but can't justify the expense even if it was a cheaper one. It just isn't something I'd use very often.
Vista will run smoothly on 1GB of RAM if you disable Aero and go to Windows Classic.

Oh, I know it will but I want to have the ability to fully make use of all aspects of the OS even if I don't necessarily want to. :)
There's no point in Aero. Computers were made to get things done, the theme doesn't matter so much to use a theme that takes away from system performance.

no point, but its cool!!!

i dont find that aero takes too much system resources. the way its designed the desktop all works on your video card, so the response time is usually higher than xp (at least on my comp) because there is more cpu time to devote to other things. i use aero in combo with dreamscene (cool little app) to make a purty desktop i could look at for quite some time.

for me, doing anything but hardcore gaming and the performance hit doesnt matter. (my cpu, video card, and memory arent usually even under pressure on most games, let alone when using firefox, office, burning a disc or all three at once)

Back