• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lifetime licenses? Why keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I already mentioned in a different thread, we just have to have some faith in the RedFox team and wait to see what they offer. I too can understand the concerns of LTL holders, especially those that purchased them recently. If you have held an LTL for many years, you may feel that you have had good value out of the license. However, if you purchased only a few months ago, you would most likely feel aggrieved with being out-of-pocket. One idea would be to offer, for example, a 5 year license to the existing LTL holders, with the expiry set to 5 years from when they originally purchased the LTL. For those that have held the LTL longer than 5 years, they could get a discount on a new 5 year license. Regardless of what method they choose, I'm certain that RedFox would take sensible steps to retain the loyalty of their existing customer base.

but lots of software (other than shareware) that used to be a one time purchase (antivirus, MS Office, etc.) has been moving to a annual subscription model.

Even most of those were never truly lifetime. The license didn't expire, but generally you had to pay an upgrade fee when a subsequent major version was released (e.g. Office '95 to '97 to 2000, Norton 2005 to 2006, etc.). That's still how most of them work, though MS Office has also adopted a subscription model alongside their old perpetual license system.

Slysoft was rare in offering truly unlimited lifetime updates. They only company I know of that did and actually maintained steady development.

Slysoft was rare in offering truly unlimited lifetime updates. They only company I know of that did and actually maintained steady development.
No, not at all. For instance, other well-known programs are (alI of them, I use myself):

FlashFXP
Process Lasso
DAEMON Tools Ultra
Alcohol 120%
MOBackup
CCleaner Professional (Plus)
Sandboxie
Elaborate Bytes ;)

I wouldn't have bought them if there hadn't been LTLs available. I generally never buy software based on an abo model.

And many many more...

Last edited:
No, not at all. For instance, other well-known programs are (alI of them, I use myself):

FlashFXP
Process Lasso
DAEMON Tools Ultra
Alcohol 120%
MOBackup
CCleaner Professional (Plus)
Sandboxie
Elaborate Bytes ;)

I wouldn't have bought them if there hadn't been LTLs available. I generally never buy software based on an abo model.

And many many more...

Granted, there are some others. However, I'd still argue that regardless of how useful most of those other pieces of software are, none of them has quite the same level of development as AnyDVD. Compared to the hundreds of updates AnyDVD has received since its inception in 2003 (those updates coming more frequently and in greater numbers in more recent years, as the complexity of home video formats grew), most of those others receive just a few updates a year. And unlike AnyDVD, the developers have more time to add new features at their leisure, and releasing them at a relaxed pace. AnyDVD sometimes has to adapt to new releases on a weekly basis.

none of them has quite the same level of development as AnyDVD.
This is true.
Also, the AnyDVD community/users helps by providing logfiles.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think providing logfiles means that (many) DVDs/Blu-rays no longer need to be purchased - by the dev's - for protections to be removed(?).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think providing logfiles means that (many) DVDs/Blu-rays no longer need to be purchased - by the dev's - for protections to be removed(?).

In a lot of cases, I think that's true, yes. There have been times when an update (or beta) is forthcoming very quickly after logfiles are provided.

As of late there has been quite a bit of leniency with regard to forum rules due to what has occurred but that does not mean it's okay to ignore the rules especially when it comes to being insulting and rude towards others. Debating and disagreeing are one thing. Insulting people is not acceptable.

This is pure scam.
I see there are naive people who believe Slisoft closed, employees laid off, etc. The old fairy tale.
The question is - my money back 109 euros for a lifetime license or not?
Something tells me that no one, do not return anything.

Last edited:
This is pure scam.
I see there are naive people who believe Slisoft closed, employees laid off, etc. The old fairy tale.
The question is - my money back 109 euros for a lifetime license or not?
Something tells me that no one, I do not return anything.
Not. LOL.

Not. LOL.
You will never convince the trolls and conspiracy theorists, no matter what. ;)

Even without any money coming in from licenses the RedFox team has created 4(!) interim beta AnyDVD versions. That speaks of commitment to a company's customer base that deserves being compensated.

I said it earlier, I'll say it again:

I am sad to see AnyDVD no longer being a LTL subscriber model, yet I've received IMO more than a fair payback for the money I spent getting multiple Slysoft licenses, though only one license was ever used. A RedFox license, seeing who the owners of the company are, will give fair value for a purchased license as far as I'm concerned.

Others may disagree, but that is not my problem.

Last edited:
I am not a rich man, but I can afford to lose 109 euros.
It's not the money but the principle. I was not pleased that the renegades have kept me for an idiot.
They had thousands of ways to solve the problem, but they chose a scam.
If you chose a scam - it means scam and deserve.

There's a typo in the license agreement. :oops:

The license to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCE ends, if you pass your personal registration key to another individual or organization.

I am not a rich man, but I can afford to lose 109 euros.
It's not the money but the principle. I was not pleased that the renegades have kept me for an idiot.
They had thousands of ways to solve the problem, but they chose a scam.
If you chose a scam - it means scam and deserve.

You are entirely free to your opinion regardless of it being simply inaccurate.

Once upon a time people believed the world was flat. Some still do and cannot be convinced otherwise.

Inaccurate?
Well, I could conceive that I am wrong.
Time will tell.
But for now, that it all looks like an outright scam.
With regard to the flat earth .. can someone believe in it.
And who believe in the 48 worlds of don Juan, and even in 8 of them, that are organic.
Faith is fun, but it does not change the fact, but the bottom line is that it looks like a scam. Why? Because everything had won, except for those who have purchased a license.
Changed the name, logo, icon, respectively responsible. The classical scheme. We are not guilty, pay again, and life will go on.
And then you tell me that this is not like a scam?

I have some skin in the game. 2 lifetime licenses..... Got my $$$ worth. 4 years and a wonderful htpc setup thks to Slysoft. And now to carry the torch RedFox. I admit it. I've been sent here to spy on the Fox:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back