• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PS3 rips?

Rusty257

I am debating on whether or not to get a blu-ray drive. But for the price a PS3 would be the cheapest plus i could then use it for gaming. My question is it sounds like from what i have read here or there you can rip the disc to the PS3, then copy it to a PC? is that correct? If it is theres my first question. How do you do that, step by step or link to forum/instructions?

Second once i am at that point with the movie backup up is there a way to get that to play on another TV that has a XBOX 360 and vice versa, ripped HD DVD movies from 360 drive to play on PS3? Thats where I would use the dandy sly products correct?

My overall master plan is to have a movie file server in which I can have either my 360 or PS3 (if i get one) play movies from the server. I do not have a 1080p tv so conversion to 720p for both formats would be ideal. I know you genius's at sly are working on that conversion.

Last edited:
Second once i am at that point with the movie backup up is there a way to get that to play on another TV that has a XBOX 360 and vice versa, ripped HD DVD movies from 360 drive to play on PS3? Thats where I would use the dandy sly products correct?

My overall master plan is to have a movie file server in which I can have either my 360 or PS3 (if i get one) play movies from the server. I do not have a 1080p tv so conversion to 720p for both formats would be ideal. I know you genius's at sly are working on that conversion.

You sort of picked the wrong area for your question. CloneDVD mobile is for converting DVDs to mobile video formats.
So I moved your question to the AnyDVD HD area.

Anyway: yes you can copy Blu-Ray movies to an HDD from the PS3, though you need some extra tools for that.
And then: no, neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 will play those movies, for they are a) still encrypted and b) both players will only play directly from disc. So you'll still have to play them from a PC. And before that you'll have to mount the ripped images and run AnyDVD so the data gets decrypted while viewing.

So if you want to play HD and/or BD movies from a file server, get yourself an HTPC with loads of CPU power and HDD space and add a BD and/or HD-DVD drive.
With AnyDVD and PowerDVD Ultra installed you're good to go. It may cost a little more, but its a hell of a lot less trouble to handle, believe me.

No way of doing it with the game consoles at the time, sorry.

Last edited:
I agree with Peer with one caveat. *IF* Linux ever gets decent HD DVD and BluRay playback software support, the PS3 could be extremely useful in that regard. Assuming there's playback capability(and I think we're a long way away from that point), you could make a fixed ISO(i.e. decrypted with AnyDVD HD) and put it on an external drive. You could then mount it in Linux on the PS3 and play it back. This is NOT possible right now and may not be for a very long time. So, like Peer said, if you want a universal HD playback machine, build yourself a sweet multimedia PC. There are LOTS of added benefits to doing that. I plan on upgrading my video machines next year when the price of BD and HD DVD combo drives come down a bit. My plan is to buy a cheap Dell from the Dell outlet site, drop in a very fast video card and a combo HD DVD/BD drive, and I'll be golden at that point.

I understand I would need to use AnyDVD, to decrypt the BR after its ripped to the PS3. So i will have to look into the ripping and transferring to a PC elsewhere. Unless someone here could direct me on what tools.........linux i've heard, but how...........
So after it is on my PC I would obviously use the best software out there and decrypt it with AnyDVD HD. From there i would like to convert it to 720p. Thats why i put it in the mobile section. I know mobile just released a version to encovde to wmv but i am guessing not for decrypted HD content from either HDDVD or BR correct?
If all that is correct then all i need to do is get my juiced up server ready. Locate the info on how to do the linux thing or use whatever tools to get a PS3 to rip then transfer the files to a PC. Then wait for mobile or Clone to come out with a product to encode to 720p in wmv format from that decrypted HD content.
That sound right?

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=124841

Your idea of "converting it to 720" shows you don't fully understand what it is you're asking for. You're not going to convert it to 720p. In fact, you're not going to convert it to anything period. People seem to have this idea that because DVDs can be so easily transcoded that the same must be true of HD content. Unfortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth. To transcode HD content, you first need to understand what HD content IS. *IF* the codec used is MPEG2 and you have a standard AC3 track, it's possible to rip it into a transport stream that's then possible to transcode into something else. If the codec used is VC1 or AVC, then it becomes extremely problematic. You need to understand that the best hardware available today would probably take a day or two to do the conversion. That's assuming that the tools and codecs required to do so even existed. That, unfortunately is not the case.

To keep this long discussion relatively short, what you want to do is not possible. What you CAN do is what we recommended to you. You can rip it with the PS3(linux is not required. SAK is all that's needed. I posted a link to it in this forum in another thread. Search for Swiss Army Knife and you'll find it). Transfer it to the PC. Mount it with Daemon Tools or Nero's image mounting tool. (Virtual CloneDrive needs an update which is in the works from what James has said) Make a new image with whatever tool you feel comfortable with while AnyDVD HD is running(CloneCD, ImgBurn, Nero, etc) to remove the decryption. Then mount your new image in Daemon Tools or Nero's image tool. Now you can play it back with PowerDVD Ultra on the PC. Hook it up to your tv and you're good to go. That is the best solution for now. If you want to wait for a transcoding app for HD, you're going to be waiting a very long time I'm afraid. Slysoft has expressed interest in making one, but, it's ridiculously challenging and will likely be quite limited when it's first released.

Thats the most honest answer i think i have ever been given. :bowdown: thank you. i was grasping for an all in one solution that would be as easy as what we use today for DVDs like you mentioned. i was afraid using 30 different tools to get to it convert and reencode and then still only have a chance at it working correctly at all was not true. But it sounds like it is. you are correct i dont fully understand all what it takes, i will just have to wait until a program comes out that enables people like myself to do it the easy way.
thanks

You're welcome for the answer and I wish I had better news for you. This technology is still in the first baby steps. Hell, the BD format isn't even finalized yet! Like the beginnings of DVD, the tools just aren't built yet. But there are people working on it. Like DVD, things will progress, incrementally. Eventually you'll get the easy to use software that you want, but, I fear we may be a LONG way away from that goal...possibly years. To put things into perspective for you...while BD and HD DVD are very exciting, both combined just recently broke the sales records........of VHS. :) That's right, they surpassed VHS sales this past quarter. YIPPIE! Compared to DVD sales, that's a drop in the bucket barely worth mentioning. But it shows that demand is there. And the technology will improve. It's already possible to make backups of BD discs if you have a recorder. That's a step in the right direction. If the HD DVD camp would get off their @$$ and release a burner, it would be possible to back up HD DVD, as well. Small, incremental steps. That's how we'll get to your goal.

This question has been asked before. I believe it's possible if all you want to do is the video and audio tracks. The menus and special features are not likely to work as they have separate standards. However, both HD DVD and BD use the same codecs for video and audio...although I believe I read somewhere that HD DVD can have a slightly different audio format than BD which may cause problems. I'm not 100% sure on that, but, I have read that some people have successfully cross burned HD DVD movie only to BD and have had it work.

Transfer it to the PC. Mount it with Daemon Tools or Nero's image mounting tool. [...]Make a new image with whatever tool you feel comfortable with while AnyDVD HD is running

Note that this additional "re-rip" and making a new image is not necessarily required, since this will be done on the fly (on demand) when playing the mounted image.

Note that this additional "re-rip" and making a new image is not necessarily required, since this will be done on the fly (on demand) when playing the mounted image.

While that is true, I just like to be thorough. :)

I've already bought a UK PS3 for ripping discs then mounting on an HTPC to play.

Will I encounter any region issues with the small number of region-coded US discs? I'm hoping I'll be able to rip them even if I can't play them directly through the PS3.

I've already bought a UK PS3 for ripping discs then mounting on an HTPC to play.

Will I encounter any region issues with the small number of region-coded US discs? I'm hoping I'll be able to rip them even if I can't play them directly through the PS3.
AnyDVD removes region coding.

but not ntsc > pal.

you shouldnt have any problem ripping. playback might be a problem though.

On HD-dvd and Blu-ray once you remove the region coding and encryption they will just work, Pal and NTSC are not an issue as all commercial discs encode at the same framerate. On HD-dvd you can buy them from anywhere in the world as they have no region coding so they should always play on any HD-dvd player, and on Blu-ray once the region code and encryption is removed those will play on any player as well. I have Blu-ray's from USA, UK, and Japan and all play fine once I run them thru Anydvd HD and burn them back to a Blu-ray rewritable

On HD-dvd and Blu-ray once you remove the region coding and encryption they will just work, Pal and NTSC are not an issue as all commercial discs encode at the same framerate. On HD-dvd you can buy them from anywhere in the world as they have no region coding so they should always play on any HD-dvd player, and on Blu-ray once the region code and encryption is removed those will play on any player as well. I have Blu-ray's from USA, UK, and Japan and all play fine once I run them thru Anydvd HD and burn them back to a Blu-ray rewritable
So then it should work.

My worry was that, even under Linux, it somehow wouldn't let me rip a disc of the wrong region. Seems that this isn't an issue then, thanks.

Back