• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lifetime licenses? Why keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day when the closing was announced I thought back to watching on a traditional player. Forced to watch things I didn't want to, taking forever to start up, You're a criminal displays I again had to watch, etc.

If lifetime licenses are offered I'll buy another. If not, and it goes to yearly or biyearly, I'll buy that. Either way, I'll be glad. The alternative is too horrible to fathom.

The other day when the closing was announced I thought back to watching on a traditional player. Forced to watch things I didn't want to, taking forever to start up, You're a criminal displays I again had to watch, etc.

If lifetime licenses are offered I'll buy another. If not, and it goes to yearly or biyearly, I'll buy that. Either way, I'll be glad. The alternative is too horrible to fathom.

Amen. I don't want to be at the mercy of the MPAA/Hollywood mafia.

I have to say that I saw nothing wrong with the old business model re licences.

We all have our opinions and of course it is NOT our decision anyway, the only way I can give an opinion is to pretend it was my business.

If it were, then I would say that Lifetime Licences under 6 months old would be honoured (with a voluntary donation up to the full cost) and Licences over 6 months re new at cost.

This is after all, legally a new Company (with ex employees being owed money), so this would not be a greedy scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I saw nothing wrong with the old business model re licences.

We all have our opinions and of course it is NOT our decision anyway, the only way I can give an opinion is to pretend it was my business.

If it were, then I would say that Lifetime Licences under 6 months old would be honoured (with a voluntary donation up to the full cost) and Licences over 6 months re new at cost.

This is after all, legally a new Company (with ex employees being owed money), so this would not be a greedy scenario.
I imagine for the sake of conversation and reference one can say this is a new company, however, I doubt this new endeavor will lead to any incorporation or llc being formed. This would put them square in the sights of the regulators as it did with Slysoft and paint a huge target on their backs. Better to be a group of developers spread around the globe (which they have already stated they do not know each other in any personal scense. This makes the most difficult to be discovered.

Yes, this is not a Company in the sense we normally understand, but from a payment view, it is morally and legally new, morally in payment due.

My main comment was just about the Licence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine for the sake of conversation and reference one can say this is a new company, however, I doubt this new endeavor will lead to any incorporation or llc being formed. This would put them square in the sights of the regulators as it did with Slysoft and paint a huge target on their backs. Better to be a group of developers spread around the globe (which they have already stated they do not know each other in any personal scense. This makes the most difficult to be discovered.

Surely not forming a company, llc or whatever would put the individuals evolved directly in the MPAA etc's line of fire. That doesn't sound like fun to me.

--
Brian G. (In the UK)

Love the lifetime license, it makes life easier but I am willing to do a re-buy of the license to help out. Maybe like a "Grandfathered" re-purchase. Limited time or something, either that or a donation system might benefit people better.

Last edited:
Love the lifetime license, it makes life easier but I am willing to do a re-buy of the license to help out. Maybe like a "Grandfathered" re-purchase. Limited time or something, either that or a donation system might benefit people better.
All this talk about LTL holders having to do more when others should also shoulder the burden is somewhat the AACS wants to hear about. As another previous poster said they have other pressing financial situation was the reason why they made the big LTL purchase but no one listened to that reason. If one factors or guess the cost of getting all LTL for the software: Anydvd HD, CloneDVD, CloneBD, CloneCD, CloneDVDMobile that is roughly ~400US or so that isn't something you just pull out where the sun doesn't shine so those not knowing this should take some food for thought. And if you pay close to that amount everything time this isn't anything close to logical mindset in discussion. This is why I take issue with those whom have no idea what LTL true cost are.

Missed you on the first pass but I wanted to press you on this. Are you in the camp that believes that this change is nothing more than a cosmetic change and change of figurehead? That the old is the new and there's no difference between the two? I can understand the ethical argument in that case. I can't understand how you can hold the new management accountable for the old if the old management dropped you like a hot potato without so much as a whisper. These people seem to me to be picking up the pieces. If I'm wrong about that then maybe you're right but I don't think I'm wrong. Make your case.

I don't think the issue is as strait forward as you present it. Again, as I mentioned before, personally I would probably pay for the new license... so no I'm not in any camp ;-)
Let me ask you a question: Let's suppose SlySoft's products were legal and SlySoft was not shutdown but rather being sold to another company who paid lots of money for the client base and products. Should the new owner honor the existing customers' agreement or should they can them all and make them re-purchase new licenses? IMHO there isn't only one answer to this. Some may argue the new owner doesn't owe anything to the existing customers.... and others may argue that the new owner should honor the existing agreements. And this is where the ethical aspect kicks in - because from pure business perspective the new owner doesn't really have to honor existing agreements but it would be the right thing to do.

Being a business owner for over 25 years, I faced similar situation where doing the right thing caused us losses and was not always the right business decision but I did it anyway to make the customer happy and honor my agreement with the customer. And guess what? In most cases it turned out to be a good business decision because these incidents turned out to be a golden egg as we received much more work from these customers and their referrals.

Back to our case.... no I do not expect the new management to honor the LTL because they don't have to. But it would be the right thing to do. Ethically.

All that being said, the wisdom is all in the numbers. How many total licenses sold? How many LTL licenses are out there? How many new licenses being sold every months? etc etc.... all these numbers would affect the decision about whether to honor the existing LTL or not. If current sales has been flattened then probably there is no room for LTL.... if current (predicted) sales are beefy enough... then there are ways to offset the existing LTL...etc etc... But since I don't know the actual numbers this entire conversation is speculative at best.

I hope this clarifies my point of view ;-)

Instead of terminating the Slysoft LTL How about offering a limited one time offer to the users that now have a LTL to upgrade to a REDFOX LTL for say $25.00. I am sure it would help the new company and most users I do not think would mind. JMO

Marty

I expect RedFox have already made their mind up by now so I don't know why people keep offering their suggestions.

As I've previously indicated earlier this thread has now run its course and should be closed.

Everybody, just sit still and be patient and wait for the announcement, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end...

All this talk about LTL holders having to do more when others should also shoulder the burden is somewhat the AACS wants to hear about. As another previous poster said they have other pressing financial situation was the reason why they made the big LTL purchase but no one listened to that reason. If one factors or guess the cost of getting all LTL for the software: Anydvd HD, CloneDVD, CloneBD, CloneCD, CloneDVDMobile that is roughly ~400US or so that isn't something you just pull out where the sun doesn't shine so those not knowing this should take some food for thought. And if you pay close to that amount everything time this isn't anything close to logical mindset in discussion. This is why I take issue with those whom have no idea what LTL true cost are.
just to reinforce the points made by Recycle I have noticed that with the exception of AnyDVD HD the other slysoft family products barely require updating and so Slysoft gets a better deal with these LTLS

just to reinforce the points made by Recycle I have noticed that with the exception of AnyDVD HD the other slysoft family products barely require updating and so Slysoft gets a better deal with these LTLS

I have been barking up that tree many times. Plus CloneDVD should not be included because it is an Elby product not Slysoft. And if Im not mistaken even the developers have commented about Elby owning CloneDVD. Another thing, I contacted Elby to inquire what there position was concerning this about CloneDVD licenses and their reply was they could not check any of their data right now to know if I had a lifetime license or not. I do not know whose data they were referring to. The thing that bothers me is no one knows who is involved behind the scenes. You would think they would have to have some kind of backing other than promised support since it was stated Slysoft closed up owing them money. You just never know, as been stated, just have to wait and see.

That nobody knows how many people and who is all involved is a good thing. That'll make it that much harder to get shut down. We do know however that most of the slysoft people now make up the redfox team :)

As an LTL holder for AnyDVD HD, I can say I would NOT spend another $140 on software I only used for 2 years while the same developers work on it/make more money from it.

I hear the devs are owed a lot of money, but this is not my fault as a user/customer. I do respect the developers for continuing their work though and do wish them the best as they are world class coders.

The fact is a lot has changed since I bought my LTL. Been using my makemkv lifetime license lately and it's been working great. Think it was $49.

No doubt AnyDVD is better as it backs up the entire disk, but all I care about is being able to rewatch my movies and I suspect most users are in the same position.

A lot has changed with WMC going away, many no longer use ISO files for bluray rips and mkv files are the norm now as menu support isn't as good as it could be with software such as KODI and other non-licensed bluray players (that do not detect cinavia).

We've even seen licensed bluray players go to the waste side in the last year or two. I see no reason to rebuy software I previously paid for that rips to ISO files when I don't care about bonus features and players that play these ISO files are fewer and fewer...

I own LTLs of all the Slysoft products except for DVD mobile. On the other hand some years ago, when Slysoft said they'd stop selling LTLs, I got myself a second one for AnyDVD HD, so in the future I could install one on the PC of my parents once they bought a BluRay drive. Shortly after that it was stated that the LTLs wouldn't be discontinued at all. Btw: My parents haven't bought a BluRay drive yet, so this key hasn't even been used yet :LOL:

Furthermore I decided buying the LTLs not because I'm copying dozens of discs each month, but because I knew I'd use the software not very often and quite unregularly. However, I like the feeling that I have the software available when I need it without having to take care of expiration dates and without renewing my payment although not even being sure that I'd use the software within the next few months. So a 1- or 2-year license wouldn't have made sense for my usage pattern.

Of course the devs need to earn money, but I'd certainly plead for honoring the existing Lifetime Licenses. Some members here seem to think that there's only a fixed and limited userbase, and that not a single dollar will be earned anymore once everybody has got a Lifetime License. However there are always new users growing up, buying new Laptops or Home Cinema Systems and thus noticing the need for a tool like AnyDVD. Demand will never reach zero. So there will always be new people buying licenses. And even if the LTLs would cease to exist, I think it would be a nice move to honor the existing ones, which most of the time were bought from users to support the Slysoft guys in early stages of development and company history. It's got nothing to do with me wanting to save a few bucks.

Another question I'm wondering about is what will happen to the software and the licenses if the same thing keeps happening again? Imagine owning a Lifetime License and buying a new one because the company or the software is suddenly called differently. I really wish the best to all the devs and Slysoft / Redfox guys. But what if the new site is shut down in a few months for legal or other reasons, and then there's a new one called "BlueFox" or something like that, stating that the software life cycle has come to an end and a new license has to be bought since now it's another product or another company again ?

Just a few thoughts on the topic with all due respect to Slysoft, RedFox and all the devoted long-time users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back