• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Lifetime licenses? Why keep them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabertooth

Greetings!

I felt this would be a good time to examine the realities of lifetime licenses. I see a lot of people asking whether the old licenses will be honored or whether there will be new lifetime licenses made available. Short answer, you're old license is no longer valid (That's NOT officially the case right now, it's MY OPINION). This is a discussion about the future direction of licensing.

For the record, James has stated elsewhere that those who recently purchased a license will receive some kind of consideration. I feel for you if you purchased a lifetime license less than a year ago and I understand why you're upset at the turn of events but that's not the fault of the people who are trying to resurrect this program so please direct any venting at the old management and don't un-reasonably hold these guys accountable.

Myself, like many others who proclaim willingness to donate or re-up their license, I've used Anydvd HD for many years (since 2007?) and, at that time, I bought everything that was offered which kicked in an additional discount on the individual prices. So, yes, I feel I got my monies worth especially considering the amount of effort required to keep this software working with new releases. I didn't and probably never will use any of the other software I bought from them and I still think I got a good deal.

This software is what you call development intensive not like say a word processor where a developer is tweaking or adding a few new features every year. I think this translates in to more work hours and more staffing needs required (relative to the word processor) and therefore the people involved deserve reasonable compensation in line with their time and effort.

Lifetime licenses are great for the consumer (like me) but let's consider what a lifetime license means to the developer. Fact is the developer can't spend the lifetime license receipts or at least not more than a small amount of it. Lifetime licenses are pyramidal, meaning when the RedFox version releases, they will sell a lot of licenses but as time progresses and the market is saturated they sell fewer and fewer. Because they never receive another dime from the customer, they need to take a significant part of that money received now and invest it to generate income to continue the operations of the business in to the future. (So they may need to hire a professional financial manager to be sustainable and they'll definitely need an attorney to be retained is a certainty.)

How do they keep the income flowing? What some companies do is release a new program every so often and reset the customer database. The old version is no longer developed and end of life, EOL. For example and this is pure speculation, under Slysoft, they could have done a reset with the release of AnyDVD HD from AnyDVD. All AnyDVD lifetime licenses still work with AnyDVD but it's just no longer developed, EOL. You want the current generation, you have to re-up for the new HD software. Similarly when Ultra HD is introduced they could perform such a reset. Under that scenario, your lifetime license might be valid for 5 years or so. Still that's probably not too bad for $100 up front or $20/yr. so who would complain really?

In conclusion, although I love my lifetime license as a consumer, I suggest ditching lifetime licenses and going to an extended term discounted license say 5 years. Lifetime licenses are a difficult business model to sustain and don't make sense for development intensive software like this.

I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks

Sabertooth

Last edited:
What about the following idea: lifetime will be kept as contribute to those who bought one. Nothing new so far. But here is a thought I couldn't find anywhere in these forums until now: Couldn't it be possible, at least for lifetime licensees, to contribute to the developers in a fee per each backed up disc? Let's say about 1$ or 1€ per each new disc that one is going to handle? Wouldn't that be a way that would piss off neither the licensees nor the developers?

Everyone wants to keep their lifetime licence. This is not a question that is necessary for a poll to be taken. Thank you for your time Sabertooth but if you read the rules, polls are not allowed in the English forums. Yes I know they should be disabled but that's more of an issue. However the thread is fine. Usually you can get a good idea of what you want to know by peoples answers to your question.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/slysoft-forum-rules.4/#post-194503

Everyone want to keep their lifetime licence. This is not a question that is necessary for a poll to be taken.

First, sorry about my indiscretion regarding the forum rules, as you mentioned it was enabled. Thank you for making the necessary adjustments to the thread. Second, while I won't argue that those who want lifetime licenses will out-number those who don't (as consumers we all want that, even me), that wasn't the point. I think you might find more acceptance of/support for an extended licensing than you might think. I was thinking the result might lend support for that. I found it interesting, in particular, that while there were more votes for lifetime licenses, there was not a single defense within the thread of the business model as viable for Redfox. Redfox management has a lot to consider.

to contribute to the developers in a fee per each backed up disc?

Thank you for contributing. This is an interesting idea. Have you considered the logistics involved? Keeping track per user of each disk by some ID, maintaining billing records and credit card account information. I think these issues make something like you suggest difficult to administer. Their legal situation may also be a factor in such a scheme. I don't see a way around some of those obstacles.

I don't see lifetime licenses that bad at all. In 2004 I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD. In 2009 I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD. In 2016 I hope to buy a lifetime license for 4K. Again sometime after I will pay for 8K. So you see the sales may look like a pyramid but every time a new version hits the market the pyramid starts over. Initially there is a great amount in sales for a new format and yes they do taper off but then you will see a new format come out and the cycle starts over.

The programmers of AnyDVD have done a great job developing and supporting their product. If they cannot live on the prior model I will understand but you can see we all will eventually reinvest if we plan on moving to a new format.

I purchased lifetime licenses for AnyDVD and CloneDVD (through Slysoft website) way back in 2002 or 2003. When ANYDVDHD came out, I purchased a lifetime license for it as well. When talk of doing away with lifetime licenses came around I repurchased lifetime licenses for BOTH AnyDVD and CloneDVD as a way of showing support for the developers (something in retrospect I suppose I should have thought through more thoroughly I admit (as I now have two defunct licenses)) I have just purchased lifetime license for Clone DB. My point, is this. If we purchase a lifetime license and feel the need to support the developer we still have the opportunity to purchase a lifetime license again whenever we want. Keep the money flowing and show support (nothing stopping us and we can decide when and at what time we feel we have gotten our money's worth. They deserve our support.

Last edited:
My point, is this. If we purchase a lifetime license and feel the need to support the developer we still have the opportunity to purchase a lifetime license again whenever we want.

This is, IMO, relying on the kindness of strangers and, if you're a puppy, it might work but I don't think it's something you could do long term planning with a business. I love your altruism and I think you would contribute but I also think people like you are few and far between. I wish I had confidence that everyone that bought a lifetime license was like you but I don't.

I don't see lifetime licenses that bad at all. In 2004 I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD. In 2009 I bought a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD. In 2016 I hope to buy a lifetime license for 4K. Again sometime after I will pay for 8K.

As I mentioned in my first post, this is a method to keep the income stream flowing. Perhaps it's enough? How many people have moved to 4K and 4K media and it's 7 years since the last relicensing already? Much less think about 8K. I'm still waiting for the LG OLED 4K 65" TV to reach an affordable price less than the $5-6000 before I buy my next TV. I worry that that's too long to go without having a good income stream.

Thank you for contributing. This is an interesting idea. Have you considered the logistics involved? Keeping track per user of each disk by some ID, maintaining billing records and credit card account information. I think these issues make something like you suggest difficult to administer. Their legal situation may also be a factor in such a scheme. I don't see a way around some of those obstacles.

Personally I don't like being dependant from an active internet connection. AnyDVD HD almost got useless because of the online decryption. Your proposal is way to risky especially in this delicate situation.

Personally I don't like being dependant from an active internet connection. AnyDVD HD almost got useless because of the online decryption. Your proposal is way to risky especially in this delicate situation.

I wonder just how big is the online database? Would anyone even want to download it if it's massive or required an extra fee for the privilege (can we see in-app purchasing?)? Right now the vulnerability exist that you're concerned about so I don't see how the suggestion made by Dr. Feelgood makes it worse?

What about the following idea: lifetime will be kept as contribute to those who bought one. Nothing new so far. But here is a thought I couldn't find anywhere in these forums until now: Couldn't it be possible, at least for lifetime licensees, to contribute to the developers in a fee per each backed up disc? Let's say about 1$ or 1€ per each new disc that one is going to handle? Wouldn't that be a way that would piss off neither the licensees nor the developers?
Hi Dr Feelgood, although that is a wonderful and very nice suggestion, I think, and this is just my suggestion, my personal suggestion and might not be the view of RedFox, I believe it would be a wonderful thing if people when they are ready, to buy another license, that would be appreciated in my view, and show support for the company while not putting pressure on our already valuable customer base, RedFox really appreciates all the support the members have shown and while some may afford to contribute , some may not be able too. We want everyone to know that any type of support is valued and even the thoughts of many of the forum members are taken into the deepest consideration. Thank you all for your great suggestions, keep them coming. Great thread.

at least for lifetime licensees, to contribute to the developers in a fee per each backed up disc? Let's say about 1$ or 1€ per each new disc that one is going to handle?

It just occurred to me that this might be considered a subscription plan, where you purchase access to the OPD and the most current software. It's an interesting twist and I like it. How would it compare; a lifetime subscription plan vs long term discounted licensing? Definitely something new to think about.

It just occurred to me that this might be considered a subscription plan, where you purchase access to the OPD and the most current software. It's an interesting twist and I like it. How would it compare; a lifetime subscription plan vs long term discounted licensing? Definitely something new to think about.
My personal opinion is and as it says in my Signature, my responses are my own and might not be the view of the company, if someone wanted to show their support, save up and buy another license. We have many to choose from but looking into the future, I can see the AnyDVDHD -CloneBD combo as being the best of its kind in the world.

And what about that: (lifetime) users can buy these cache files that are currently stored on the user's computer for an affordable amount of money. As the program itself is encrypted and these cache files are also encrypted, it should not be too difficult for the developers to bind the chache-file to an existing license for preventing uncontrolled spreading of these files in the net.

I think an intial licence fee then $20 dollars per year would be a great set up but the thing with that is the payment proccessors in a fair world it would not be a problem but with the movie industry nipping at your heals it maybe very hard to set up a $20.00 per year renewal system.

We will have to wait and see what the new Redfox comes up with.

if someone wanted to show their support, save up and buy another license.

We are all going to save up to buy a new RedFox license within the next couple weeks for some and, for the less fortunate of us, when you decide to have a sale. ;-) Maybe some of us buy a license for each PC we have that uses the software. So that will happen soon but what about after that? If you sell lifetime licenses are you prepared to handle the financial realities of doing that? Maybe someone like that is already part of your team? You're not suggesting that current lifetime license holders somehow get a pass about coughing up a few more dollars for the launch of your new venture are you?

I have no idea of the financial responsibility's of RedFox, but I do know that we have some very smart people here and they have always done what right, what you suggest is taken with a big thank you, but I have to say that I am not sure how they will proceed, but I do know when they do, it will be with the customers best interest in mind. Thank you all for being so gracious.

I might be wrong, but AnyDVD seems to have done fine over the past 12+ years, with lifetime licenses and all, and the only thing that has changed is the loss of the Antiguan figurehead. The underlying workforce appears to be intact. I'm sure many customers would also be concerned about a license which expires after a fixed time period especially with the threat that the company might disappear at any moment given the AACS-LA is looming over them. The $1 per disc might sound good, to some, on the surface but what about those that aren't ripping the discs? There is a subset of folks that use it to generate BDInfo, take screenshots, eliminate region locks and forced subtitles, to name just a few. In fact, the $1 per disc might just make the AACS-LA go after the programmers that much more since they'd now be profiting on a per disc basis.

I am in no way a fan of this buying another lifetime license. I already bought one. Just set up a donation vs. license thing and I think you would get as much money either way for those that actually want to contribute to the reboot of this company. I do not think requiring another purchase of a "lifetime" license makes any sense at all. The donation over and above a new license does (you can contribute the price of a new license or licenses if you want).

Either way the key to this will be the payment method. One thing I am encouraged by, the group behind this all is a)intelligent and b)sensitive to the issues. Make the policy w/o any real back and forth on a message board. That is the way to go. The way the staff has handled this up to this point is nothing short of exactly what I would do.

I am in no way a fan of this buying another lifetime license. I already bought one. Just set up a donation vs. license thing and I think you would get as much money either way for those that actually want to contribute to the reboot of this company. I do not think requiring another purchase of a "lifetime" license makes any sense at all. The donation over and above a new license does (you can contribute the price of a new license or licenses if you want).

Either way the key to this will be the payment method. One thing I am encouraged by, the group behind this all is a)intelligent and b)sensitive to the issues. Make the policy w/o any real back and forth on a message board. That is the way to go. The way the staff has handled this up to this point is nothing short of exactly what I would do.
As of now, nothing has changed, your LTL is valid and hoping you enjoy the programs you purchased. Thank you for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back