• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

dvdfab as a temporary solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub0ptimal

Now that the fox is sleeping, I'm looking for an alternative until such time as the fox wakes up again. I will buy another license from RedFox when and if the software is resurrected.

All I require is the fox's "Rip to Hard Disk..." function. I have some homebrew software that I've written to take it from there. I don't burn discs and don't need the Cinavia fix. I do not want any transcoding, my software takes care of that. Most of the discs that I process are new, US retail discs.

Is Passkey from dvdfab sufficient? Or do I need DVD/BD Copy, or both? The web site is unclear. Does Passkey fix the structural protection on DVDs?

I know dvdfab is a product from another company, but I'm hoping to share in the knowledge from the other smart folks here.

Any opinion on whether MakeMKV is better or worse than DVDfab's products? There's been some chatter here that both take advantage of the work done by the fox.

MakeMKV is certainly easy to use, and I have nothing against it. Just based on the posts here, I wonder how robust their solution is if they have been lifting tech from the fox up until now.

This is a subject I have become interested in the past few days. From my limited web research, AnyDVD, DVDFab and MakeMKV are the only programs worth bothering with. I will give some of my experience. The bluray, Maze Runner The Scorch Trials region B, DVDFab could not copy it, it gives a message in a pop up window about 'BD+ .... for now', which at first looked as much as a policy problem as much as a technical error. I found MakeMKV which could back up this disc, but the created files would not work in a bluray player, and I used DVDFab to copy those to a new structure which did work. Now for Bridge of Spies region B. Neither DVDFab or MakeMKV could copy it. Without AnyDVD, I would try to have both these programs going, maybe with the free beta version of MakeMKV combined with the free version of DVDFab to fix the backups made by MakeMKV. I hope I'm joking.
But you should go to the thread with instructions on how to get the AnyDVD online database connected again. AnyDVD now had no trouble backing up Bridge of Spies region B.
And I also had tried a program called Ideal Media Solution which is best described as garbage. It happily backed up Scorch Trials, but the video files had no content. I think because of price, DVDFab Passkey would seem a reasonable alternative.
And I have a question about DVDs. Are there really new DVD copy protection methods? I thought it was almost all covered a while ago.

Not to start a whole religious debate here, but, the suspicion is that the monkey has been making use of Slysoft technology. It's not as likely that MakeMKV has been. If they had, as an example, they would have handle screen pass protections by now. We have no way of knowing if they handle BD+ protections without using Slysoft tech, but, it's likely that they do. In any case, MakeMKV is free to use while in beta, so trying it out costs you nothing but time.

MakeMKV has a process to submit the BD+ discs to Mike to be handled. Is that something you did for the titles in question that had issues?

Any opinion on whether MakeMKV is better or worse than DVDfab's products? There's been some chatter here that both take advantage of the work done by the fox.

I'm pretty sure MakeMKV solution is independent from the fox (I don't think Slysoft developers ever mentioned MakeMKV)
As SamuriHL said, MakeMKV main disadvantage is it doesn't handle Screen Pass titles properly yet (though support looks to be coming in the next release)

I'd still wait a bit if you can, there are probably (hopefully) only going to be a very small amount of discs that the fox won't handle over the next few weeks.

Why wait? Install MakeMKV and use it. I have it installed anyway as I use it for surprise surprise, making mkv's. lol

Why wait? Install MakeMKV and use it. I have it installed anyway as I use it for surprise surprise, making mkv's. lol

I don't see the point of using MakeMKV for full disc rips, when even a sleeping fox is just as good currently (probably still handles more discs correctly)
For creating MKV's, absolutely, I use it for that too :)

Now that the fox is sleeping, I'm looking for an alternative until such time as the fox wakes up again. I will buy another license from RedFox when and if the software is resurrected.

All I require is the fox's "Rip to Hard Disk..." function. I have some homebrew software that I've written to take it from there. I don't burn discs and don't need the Cinavia fix. I do not want any transcoding, my software takes care of that. Most of the discs that I process are new, US retail discs.

Is Passkey from dvdfab sufficient? Or do I need DVD/BD Copy, or both? The web site is unclear. Does Passkey fix the structural protection on DVDs?

I know dvdfab is a product from another company, but I'm hoping to share in the knowledge from the other smart folks here.

Warum nicht den kostenlosen "DVDFab HD Decrypter" benutzen?
Im Gegensatz zu "CloneDVD" und "CloneBD" arbeitet er standalone.
Er erlaubt, BDs und DVDs komplett bzw. nur den Hauptfilm zu kopieren und zu komprimieren.
Auf meinem Rechner benötigt er zum Komprimieren noch nicht einmal die Hälfte der Zeit wie "CloneBD".

I don't see the point of using MakeMKV for full disc rips, when even a sleeping fox is just as good currently (probably still handles more discs correctly)
For creating MKV's, absolutely, I use it for that too :)

I'm one of those people who would rather have too many solutions than not enough. ;)

Besides, would you be sad if makemkv just disappeared and you DIDN'T have it installed? Just sayin'...not like that could ever happen. :rolleyes:

Lots of tools create MKVs from disk images. mkvtoolnix is the authoritative one. If you want to transcode at the same time, then libav/ffmpeg/handbrake/etc will do it. The trick is defeating the encryption, which, if I understand correctly from reading all the posts here, is an ongoing effort by James and possibly others from the fox.

Cost is not an issue. I back up a lot of discs. I don't mind paying for all three if it gets the job done.

I'm going to ask a dumb question...I have downloaded makemkv...how do I burn a copy then?? Clonedvd does not read the results

Exactly. However, AnyDVD is BACK! Nonetheless, always having a spare key is never a bad thing. ;)
The key files for all my licenses are stored on multiple media, so if one "fails" to allow for retrieval I have other locations.

When RedFox starts selling new licenses I'll back those up the same way.

Someone can NEVER have too many backups of license keys, as long as no one other than the owner has access. ;)

Even before SlySoft ran into trouble, I had already purchased a license to MakeMKV.

I have yet to have MakeMKV not process a disc. Perhaps this is due to underhanded collaboration (reverse engineering) with SlySoft, perhaps not. I have heard the rumors but have no proof either way.

Since my end goal is MP4 through Handbrake, MakeMKV fills the role of "process discs that have audio and other tracks that Handbrake cannot handle." For example, Handbrake cannot handle Dolby Atmos (many errors followed by giving up). MakeMKV can take a Blu-ray that has Atmos and produce an MKV with a single track with exactly the data Handbrake needs to compress to H.264/MP4 (AC3 audio, I wish it supported TrueHD, but AC3 is good enough when watching on the couch with beer in hand).

That being said, MakeMKV and Handbrake deal better with ISOs which AnyDVD is more than willing to provide with minimal effort or trouble. Regardless of whatever other software I use, the critical piece is AnyDVD and I will continue to pay for it when the option presents itself.

Since anydvd is back I'm going to close this thread now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back