• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No fox, no job, no future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to add my name to the long list of users who have appreciated the development team's work, and to wish you all well with whatever happens next.

If 'next' turns out to be the release of a product which offers the same functionality as AnyDVD HD, then I will certainly be interested in it.

An equivalent product for a RaspberryPi might also be of interest.

James did open the door when he brought up the Rapsberry Pi and FireTV, etc, but let's please not turn this into a technical discussion thread.

You can have said discussions but create another thread for it? :)

:oops:You are right, DrinkLyeAndDie!
Opened a new thread for Raspberries and similar devices.

Last edited:
Still getting caught up on the thread but I know of two license that would support the fox coming back.

I do have some IT knowledge and I would like to say if this software does come back do not have one location. Split it among two or more servers in different area's of the world.

Very interesting...and does point to a management decision to stop and Antigua's willingness to seemingly harass the owner. He seems to have just thrown up his arms and left, leaving employees in the lurch. Given what is apparently owed to everyone, this could be a blessing of sorts...the intellectual property and assets seem to be up for grabs, assuming there are no outstanding debtors. Under a proper winding down of a company, the IP and other assets would be properly accounted for (I'm assuming Slysoft was not incorporated). To date, it seems more like a hit and run with everything left on the table. Again given the previous decentralization of Slysoft, this is likely not a surprise; nobody knows where anybody is, unless there is a money trail.

Great read..thanks for the link!

I would also pay annually, monthly, or whatever it takes to continue the projects started by SlySoft. I've been very happy over many years with SlySoft products and with their support. Go, team, go!

--michael

Been a fan of what you guys have accomplished with AnyDVD HD from day one and whatever you might cook up being it software or some crazy Rasberry build I'll be in the que to buy it.

I've seen a lot of references to doing this but to me this is the one thing they should never do. Making the source code available to people who want to stop it would make it immensely easier to create protections that target weaknesses in the software. Weakness that would otherwise not be known, at least not obviously. I think James pointed this out in a post, maybe in a different thread, awhile back.

This is the old "closed source is more secure because the code is hidden" argument that doesn't hold water.

We can assume that AACS's technical crew already decompiles AnyDVD and other similar software, analyzes what it does, and creates countermeasures. The proof is the evolution of Blu-ray copy protection over the years.

I only advocate releasing the source if the developers decide not to proceed. AACS will continue adding new countermeasures to their Blu-rays regardless. If development stops, then revealing the source will allow many developers to view it and learn about it.

What is better: a dead, closed-source program, or an out of date open-source program that can inspire thousands of developers to fight back against AACS? We make progress by standing on the shoulders of giants, not by reinventing the wheel.

This is the old "closed source is more secure because the code is hidden" argument that doesn't hold water.

We can assume that AACS's technical crew already decompiles AnyDVD and other similar software, analyzes what it does, and creates countermeasures. The proof is the evolution of Blu-ray copy protection over the years.

I only advocate releasing the source if the developers decide not to proceed. AACS will continue adding new countermeasures to their Blu-rays regardless. If development stops, then revealing the source will allow many developers to view it and learn about it.

What is better: a dead, closed-source program, or an out of date open-source program that can inspire thousands of developers to fight back against AACS? We make progress by standing on the shoulders of giants, not by reinventing the wheel.

I'd say worry about that when the time comes. With respect to the closed source argument, many will agree with you while many will not. Your opinion is your opinion. Regardless, that's definitely not an argument we really need to have and most definitely not here. At the end of the day I believe the developers and all the other important people who worked for Slysoft will do what they feel is best and whatever they decide should be supported.

We can assume that AACS's technical crew already decompiles AnyDVD
and other similar software, analyzes what it does, and creates countermeasures. The proof is the evolution of Blu-ray copy protection over the years.

I wouldn't assume anything.

They can reverse engineer AnyDVD, however that's only the client. They don't know how the server side decrypter works though.
Just noticed: redfox.bz. Nice :)

Last edited:
If AnyDVD is to be renamed, then the obvious choice should be AnyDisc, since it supports more than DVD for quite some time now.

If there would be a Linux version, just don't limit it to the Raspberry pi then. I'd hate it when I have to use a mobile USB drive with it. I have much more faith in the reliability of a regular 5.25" drive.

Maybe redfox.gov?
While I like the irony in it, I don't think that would be a realistic choice. Why use a generic top level domain anyway? They all belong to some company which easily could shut it down. A country code top level domain, as we apparently now have, is the way to go.

Although I am a longtime lifetime user, I would gladly repurchase to support James and the ex-Slysoft employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back