• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

No fox, no job, no future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't logged on in quite a while! Took several attempts to remember my user/pass but visit this site religiously! :oops:
I'd gladly "donate" again, so naturally, I'M IN!!!!! (y)

Have not been active in the forums much in a good while but always kept up. AnyDVD has always been a great product and I wish all the devs great fortune in their future endeavors. Hopefully one of those endeavors is a new AnyDVD.

I doubt i'll be speaking for myself either, but i can pretty much guarantee you'll have the backing of the entire user community! We all thought it would happen one day, but with a little bit more of a headsup before the shutdown that's all. Though there's not a doubt in my mind we all want you to continue, i think the couple dozen posts of us users where every single one of them (in one way or another) states we'd hate to have to resort to the blue monkey to be able to do what we want / need to do!

On a personal level, if the decision is actually made to continue you can damn sure count on my continued services for updating NL translations, forum moderation if needed and anything else that's in my capabilities and you'd need me to do!

I would love to see Any DVD HD or it's reincarnation continue. I have loved that little red fox for over a decade. You can count on my support.
This shut down has hurt me deeply (I feel like I have lost a close friend). I am also furious with those parties responsible for this! We can rip CD's to MP3's for portability or to create our own playlists so why can't we make a backup of a DVD or Blu Ray for our own personal use or conversion to MKV or MP4 for tablets and such. I really hope this shortsighted and greedy move will blow up in their faces (the greedy bastards)!

Now when you buy a movie or show on Amazon you can't even download it to your computer and there are endless restrictions, again, unlike buying MP3's albums or singles. Hollywood Studios and their cronies are slowly but surely taking away all our rights! They need to protect their property but they always overreach!
They seem to want total control over every aspect of your movie viewing.

Has anyone else seen this article? Is it accurate? It's old but could it explain the current shutdown?
https://torrentfreak.com/slysoft-dvd-ripper-owner-found-guilty-in-criminal-action-140403/
Long live the Red Fox!
M Calcagno

That article is old but accurate yes, it's a well known thing to some of us who followed the news back to when those things started to happen. I guess it could be seen as part of the beginning of the end. But let's not look back on that too much. It's time to have hope, and with some luck many more years to come in the form of RedFox (HD) :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

The core problem here is that AnyDVD is in violation of the DMCA, which is the law in the country where AACS is located, the USA. As long as AnyDVD exists, AACS will come after its authors.

Being incorporated in any country is a risk:
  • Small countries such as Antigua are more likely to cave to US pressure regardless of their diplomatic status. It is difficult for a country to survive if the US threatens embargo because of lax IP laws. Or your nation's leader may suffer an "accident" and be replaced with a puppet dictator. There is tremendous historical precedent for this.
  • Large countries (especially Western democracies) are more likely to have their own anti-circumvention laws, or kowtow to the US because because they are friendly (e.g. Canada, all of Europe).
I believe the best approach is to form a decentralized coalition of developers that operate without being incorporated as a business entity, similar to the various hacking groups. The US government and AACS would have no legal entity to which to apply pressure. The most they could do is take down a web site, but as The Pirate Bay taught us, that is a game of whack-a-mole that the copyright cartels cannot win.

As a software developer and advocate for sensible copyright law (i.e. the opposite of TPP and what the US currently has), I give you the following tidbits of advice which are worth precisely what you paid for them:
  • Do not incorporate. Treat this sort of like open-source, but among your group.
  • Use a cryptocurrency for payments.
  • Make AnyDVD entirely self-contained with no remote connections that can be severed. Yes, this will create delays when new discs are released, but it is safer.
  • Keep multiple copies of all intellectual property (e.g. a Visual Studio project that actually builds) in escrow somewhere. Make a zip file, encrypt it, and store it in many locations. Provide it as a torrent so the whole world can mirror it. With a sufficiently strong key there is no measurable risk.
  • Set up a dead-man's switch as your "nuclear" option. If AACS or the US government somehow silences the team, after a period of time, the key to decrypt everything leaks. While the team has stated the true open-source is not a model they want to use going forward, I hope we can agree that it is better than not having any updates at all.
  • If you opt not to continue development, please release the source code so the project does not die.

If you are looking at starting again - Count me in - Willing to Pay - My subs all over again

If the company is indeed legally defunct internationally the use of the intellectual property does have some "gray areas."

Not that the entire idea of AnyDVD wasn't a "gray area" to begin with, it did violate some rather restrictive diktats from a few countries. Especially the US.

Maybe because of domain? as you see 'forum.slysoft.com' so why not new domain like .me, .cn, or whatever so is that why US gov't pressure slysoft because of .com?

The fate of these forums (and the cookies that come with it) is one of the things they are discussion. Have patience :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

What unhappy news to hear about this software. I have had it since 2003 or maybe 2004. After xcopy. I have had very little problems backing up with anydvd over the years and don't post much but always come in and try to keep up. I struggle using forums sometimes. I have clonedvd, clonecd, a lifetime license of anydvd, and later on bought anydvd HD although I do not backup blue rays. I surely hope something can be done to keep this going. I will buy new licenses and updates if it can be saved. Thank you for all your good work.

I'm an owner of AnyDVD Lifetime for several years now (and it helped me much), and I'm willing to pay again in a heartbeat as well. So, if there is any possibility, don't hesitate to start on a new.

I purchase a long time ago a lifetime license for anydvdhd. This software make my htpc to work (I don't rip, I use anydvd and reclock only to view discs). And I'm ready to purchase again.

That article is old but accurate yes, it's a well known thing to some of us who followed the news back to when those things started to happen. I guess it could be seen as part of the beginning of the end. But let's not look back on that too much.
It was only a question of time until Slysoft shuts down (nothing indicates they were shut down).
Only then the horse ...er fox has escaped, they -hopefully- close the barn for the new fox.
I have yet to read the first word of self-criticism by the staff, or some expression of regret for new customers.
Or did i miss something ?

AnyDVD's magic mostly happens in the anydvd.sys kernel mode driver, and you really want this to be signed. Otherwise Windows will refuse to load it. Windows 10 even requires, that you send the driver to Microsoft, and they will sign the driver for you - self signing is no longer allowed.
I really hate Microsoft for this.

FWIW, sending the driver to Microsoft is only required if you need SecureBoot compatability. Otherwise the conventional way of signing still works just fine. And even for SecureBoot compatability, I've heard that it currently still works with conventionally signed drivers, too. But Microsoft information is sort of contradicting itself there, and I got no real 100% reliable and clear answers on that front. Originally it was also said that we need EV certificates, but that doesn't seem to be the case atm, either. FWIW, I had renewed my old SHA1 certificate at the end of 2015 for 3 years, in the hope that I might be safe for 3 years then. Not sure if that will work out, but I'm hopeful...

I like the little black eye mask on the red fox, that is a nice touch.

(y) Me too. The fox seems to be more tenacious than its hunters may have thought.
Also renaming the forum to RedFox.Forum is a good idea as SlySoft is history.
Unfortunately the domain redfox.com is already assigned to some sort of Bed&Breakfast :(

We all were shocked when message came on Monday to shut down SlySoft website. Staff has still no complete information about what really happened and what's going on in Antigua, as nobody of the SlySoft team is physically based in Antigua. We don't even know each other.

The current situation is kind of frustrating for all of us, customers and staff. We were all proud to work for a company like SlySoft. We enjoyed each single positive feedback we got from the community (the blames we tried to ignore). I speak not only for myself - SlySoft team members love their job. We love the feeling to be part of something good. Even movie industry should love us, as many of SlySoft customers said: "If not for the possibility of making private copies of my movies, I would never have bought that many". Without possibility of private copy and format shift, UHD Blu-ray will not get popular.

We (developers and admins) had a few chat conferences this week and we came to the conclusion that if we have the backup of the community, we might consider to continue the development on our own.

Any (on topic) feedback is greatly appreciated.

A question to all the ex employees, isn't the architectures program a open source?, if so to get round the law, all subscribers of AnyDVD should get a email download instead of going to website. Would that not be a better solution for all involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back