• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slysoft Closed thread - bring some definitive closure

It would of course continue to work fine, but once a disc is found that requires action from Slysoft developers, then we are stuck (Slysoft is gone)

Nobody likes to work for free. My only hope now is that team finds an attractive alternative on my offer and spirit goes on.

Nobody likes to work for free. My only hope now is that team finds an attractive alternative on my offer and spirit goes on.

That's not entirely true, the warez scene was built almost entirely on noncommercial cracking for reputation. I don't condone piracy, but by the same token, I'd have to own 3 different DVD drives in order to buy the DVDs that I've bought. Legitimate DVDs in languages that aren't reliably acquired in region 1. Without AnyDVD and similar software I'd have to spend a lot of money on DVD devices in order to watch what I've paid for.

I suspect that there's more than enough market for that sort of thing that if the source was accidentally "lost" to a torrent site that development by warez crackers would probably keep things going for quite a while. If for no other reason than reputation and as a middle finger to the industry that thinks it can get away with it. At that point, there's not really anything that the authorities in the US can do as source code is protected free speech.

I've only tried a couple of Screen Pass discs, from what I have seen more recent releases require the OPD to list the playlist and remove the protection to work correctly in 'full disc' playback. Without the OPD 'full disc' playback will not work.

These discs are not cached (at least not in the regular folder) so they will not work correctly when the OPD goes down.

AACS is obviously removed, so main movie playback is the only option (but you will have to find the playlist yourself)

Edit: The problem is AnyDVD thinks it has removed the BD-J protection offline (but it hasn't) so it is hard to tell which ones work offline or not.

Good to know. As long as the protection is removed I'm ok with having to find the proper playlist. There are known methods for doing that so it's not too horrible. I'm still scanning all my MGM/Fox discs at the moment so I'll check out my latest Lionsgate titles once I'm done. That sucks that they aren't cached though. My recommendation is for anyone with screen pass titles to create AnyDVD logs for those discs. That will contain the proper playlist information in the logs.

The developers may not even have access to the tools or servers required to make any changes/updates (even if they wanted to)
I'd imagine the server running costs alone is fairly substantial, not to mention the employee costs, so any potential switch/take over would be costly.

I suspect that there's more than enough market for that sort of thing that if the source was accidentally "lost" to a torrent site that development by warez crackers would probably keep things going for quite a while.

Releasing the source code is not an option in my opinion and would do more harm than good.
AnyDVD's main advantage was the 'bad guys' didn't know how the 'magic' was done. Personally, I'd rather keep it that way.

It does. Fortunately thanks to @James tips these are going to be the only BD's of mine that won't work 100% once the server disappears (so far only 2).

I'm still working on my BD+ discs. You don't even want to know how many I'm dealing with. I'm almost done with the ones I know about in my collection. Then I have to search for more MGM ones that are hiding.

I'm still working on my BD+ discs. You don't even want to know how many I'm dealing with. I'm almost done with the ones I know about in my collection. Then I have to search for more MGM ones that are hiding.

I bet the day after you finally finish @James will release something containing data for all known discs :LOL:

I bet the day after you finally finish @James will release something containing data for all known discs :LOL:

I'd have no issue with that to be honest. I just finished scanning all the BD+ discs that I could find in my collection. I now have 91 items in my cache. I'll be archiving that up momentarily to keep with my AnyDVD installer backup.

This speculation makes for good discussion, and the OPD info is great to know, I just find it impossible to believe technology this unique and valuable, along with the list of folks who already bought in to be "locked away somewhere with the key thrown away".

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist but too much seems to be at stake for that to happen. Not even a week has passed yet so many things could go down before long, good or bad. Who knows, wheels could be turning as we speak.

The link to the article in the Antiguan newspaper however spoke volumes about what happened and why. No way Slysoft will remain operational there. The locals were saying some pretty nasty things about Slysoft.

I mentioned the Demonoid saga before, gone for a year or so then re-appearing with intact database out of nowhere. For what it's worth, they are "located" in the nation of Palau. .pw is the countrycode top-level domain for Palau.

Food for thought as movies can be had from them as well. IMO quality is not same as backing them up yourself but movies are available. Similar situation. They figured it out and are nowhere near as unique as Slysoft. Possible landing spot for Slysoft or nextgen??

This speculation makes for good discussion, and the OPD info is great to know, I just find it impossible to believe technology this unique and valuable, along with the list of folks who already bought in to be "locked away somewhere with the key thrown away".

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist but too much seems to be at stake for that to happen. Not even a week has passed yet so many things could go down before long, good or bad. Who knows, wheels could be turning as we speak.

The link to the article in the Antiguan newspaper however spoke volumes about what happened and why. No way Slysoft will remain operational there. The locals were saying some pretty nasty things about Slysoft.

I mentioned the Demonoid saga before, gone for a year or so then re-appearing with intact database out of nowhere. For what it's worth, they are "located" in the nation of Palau. .pw is the countrycode top-level domain for Palau.

Food for thought as movies can be had from them as well. IMO quality is not same as backing them up yourself but movies are available. Similar situation. Possible landing spot for Slysoft or nextgen??
Plenty of options. Middle east, Taiwan, North Korea or even Isle of Man.. If there is will and cash, all rest are details and decisions.

The programmers and developers seem to hold the cards. They know how it works and how to keep it working.....what will they do with all that talent??

The technology is not locked away, and according to James' posts, Slysoft apparently still has its servers under its control. One can only assume that if the OPD is still running that only sales were affected by whatever happened. I still find it totally bizarre that the OPD is apparently still up, so total control over the intellectual property has not happened. I wonder who is running the show with the assets....intriguing.

The programmers and developers seem to hold the cards. They know how it works and how to keep it working.....what will they do with all that talent??

Hardly...whoever told them to stop selling holds the cards. If Slysoft held the cards they'd still be open.

I hope put it into use; just under another brand.

Allow me: ShySoft - same Fox, same Tricks

Hardly...whoever told them to stop selling holds the cards. If Slysoft held the cards they'd still be open.
It is a tricky one Ron. When you have hierarchy and leadership, and your leadership flees the battlefield, you are lost in the massacre.

What people need is a motivated (to fight) and able (to sustain the company) management, and continue the battle. And believe me, bad guys would follow the team even to .. Mars. So there needs to be a change in strategy and market approach too.

Programmers and the people that know how it works are not salesmen. US Gov't is who stopped Slysoft, the business, in Antigua. The people that designed and update the program aren't owned by Slysoft. Don't see why they couldn't take their knowledge elsewhere, if situation is right for them. Check the article from Antiguan newspaper out, link in this thread.

Back