• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Slysoft Closed thread - bring some definitive closure

pete702

Since the Slysoft Closed thread just got in fact closed, I'm starting this one. Hopefully it survives the mods. There was alot of valid talk in there about can anydvd continue and getting access to the current OPD. I think we'd all like just a simple reply from James or Tom whether there is hope or not. And I think that can be accomplished without breaking any non disclosure. Simply saying that the OPD is not getting released, and once the paid up hosting is done, the servers for the OPD and the forums will be shut off would sum it up. Enjoy what is available while you can so to speak.

Right now we are all clinging to hope that this totally screwed up situation will resolve. If truly that ain't gonna happen, then give some closure please. The way I read some of James's posts, there is hope, but then he skips the questions on the OPD. I'd like to think what he's poured his blood sweat and tears in to would find a way to live on, especially if he just took it and went elsewhere. As he said, his employer doesn't have a bank account anymore, so he can't really object. And as long as James protects himself anonymously, it can live on. Seems there are several folks on here who want to help keep it going.

So that's it. Can we all agree on that? Either slam the door or let us know it is possibly open.

I think they basically have said what is going to be said, officially:
SlySoft is gone. Permanently.
Nothing new will be released, in any form.
The servers just happen to still be on if you know how to get to them. This will end, possibly soon.

It might simply be best to leave it at that. There could be a very good reason for nothing else being said. One of those situations where, if you have to have an answer RIGHT NOW, then that answer is no, it's all over.

If we just quietly wait and see what happens, there might be an answer we'd like a little better sometime in the near future. :) Speculating is pointless, we simply don't have the details. We can discuss options we have control over (saving the cached database files, finding alternatives for ScreenPass discs if possible, etc...), but let the SlySoft folks do what they need to and offer information as they can.
If they had more exciting news to share, I'm sure they would share it...

The previous thread was closed because it had gone far off-topic. The thread was an official story about the closure. Closing it wasn't about people not being able to discuss things.

With respect to a release of the OPD to everyone I don't even know if it would be possible. For the same reasons that Slysoft has been forced to close its doors it likely isn't possible for them to release the OPD for download because of obvious legal reasons. I am not speaking for Slysoft but rather using simple logic.

Please read the link, pete702. Don't know if this is closure your'e speaking of??

https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/page-11

Rather abrupt on closed thread....Appeared member "the higher bid" may have had something worthwhile to contribute.

Ch3vr0n
"Sell the database of subscribers? How about the fact that that would be a massive and blatant violation of the users privacy? There's is no way to tell what they'd do with all the details. You're forgetting that it holds everything from name to address to payment details. Having that went over to some random company without my permission is UNACCEPTABLE to me. I value my privacy above all else."

You make a great point. User permission may be necessary if it ever becomes an issue. I have no problem with email but beyond that, yes. If owner is in dire financial straits as mentioned perhaps flipping the company may be a solution. Pure speculation but....

This is a valuable product that does what nothing else on the market can do!!

I don't believe we've reached the end of our right to back up movies. Time will tell, after all it's not even a week yet since this went down and in time IMO there will be somebody to pick up the pieces and carry on.

If you ask me today: No.
So you better ask me next week.

I have been down this road before with another company dvd xcopy. To tom all the staff that has suffered more than us, i will miss you my friends. Best of fortune to you guys.....

Does anyone know for sure if DVDFab relies on SlySoft to circumvent copy protection? For example. Now that SlySoft is closed, will DVDFab still be able to crack new protection on standard blu-rays. Including AACS, BD+, Java, Screenpass, etc.

I know they've stated that they won't circumvent AACS 2.0.

Also, DVDFab does have their own database right? So when SlySoft's goes down, DVDFab can still handle the newer protections?

Also, does their Blu-Ray Copy program require Passkey as well?

With DVDFab, "Passkey" is the AnyDVD equivalent in the sense that it's an "on the fly" decrypter.

Their regular program doesn't require that Passkey be installed. You could install *just* Passkey, or *just* the main program, or both.

Thanks for the info. I wish the best of luck to SlySoft and I hope you guys can push through. Who knows? Maybe one day you can make a return... as the Blue Fox.

(When I first heard that from another user, I immediately thought of Krystal from Star Fox.)

Please read the link, pete702. Don't know if this is closure your'e speaking of??

https://forum.slysoft.com/threads/slysoft-closed.68304/page-11

Rather abrupt on closed thread....Appeared member "the higher bid" may have had something worthwhile to contribute.

Ch3vr0n
"Sell the database of subscribers? How about the fact that that would be a massive and blatant violation of the users privacy? There's is no way to tell what they'd do with all the details. You're forgetting that it holds everything from name to address to payment details. Having that went over to some random company without my permission is UNACCEPTABLE to me. I value my privacy above all else."

You make a great point. User permission may be necessary if it ever becomes an issue. I have no problem with email but beyond that, yes. If owner is in dire financial straits as mentioned perhaps flipping the company may be a solution. Pure speculation but....

This is a valuable product that does what nothing else on the market can do!!

I don't believe we've reached the end of our right to back up movies. Time will tell, after all it's not even a week yet since this went down and in time IMO there will be somebody to pick up the pieces and carry on.

"the higher bid"'s post was what i was referring to about it being the phoenix from the ashes. And I'll say it right here right now, and I think others who feel the same way should weigh in too. I'd gladly pay another $100 for a lifetime license if James and the same developers take it and reopen it elsewhere. Because we know it's a great product and those guys developing it will keep it rocking. So do I want to have to pay again? No. Will I? You freaking better believe it if that's what it takes to get them up and running again.

But it needs to be somewhere where the filthy corrupt US government can't touch it. There are places. Think someone said specifically brazil.

Was that Giancarlo Bettini guy the owner of SlySoft? I wonder if that is who James meant when he said "He has nothing left to own. Not even a bank account." Sounds like there was some business decision after all going on... like I said, the disc business isn't what it once was. I can't imagine SlySoft was making nearly as much money as it was years ago. Especially with lifetime licenses. Your "customer" pays you once, then uses your service until you have to close because you no longer have enough of a revenue stream. While of course I myself prefer lifetime licenses and offline installs, the reality is it just doesn't make for a viable business model.

Would it be possible to consider a donation system as well? That way after lifetime purchases, users would still be able to support the fox.

I love the offline installation/activation. One of the many things I love about SlySoft. I've never been a fan of online activation due to requiring internet and if the company ever went down. Thus why I hate DRM. (Eventually when the game is outdated, it's no longer playable due to the activation servers being shut down.)

With donations you could possibly keep the offline lifetime model. This is of course, if SlySoft makes a come back.

Was that Giancarlo Bettini guy the owner of SlySoft? I wonder if that is who James meant when he said "He has nothing left to own. Not even a bank account." Sounds like there was some business decision after all going on... like I said, the disc business isn't what it once was. I can't imagine SlySoft was making nearly as much money as it was years ago. Especially with lifetime licenses. Your "customer" pays you once, then uses your service until you have to close because you no longer have enough of a revenue stream. While of course I myself prefer lifetime licenses and offline installs, the reality is it just doesn't make for a viable business model.

He was the owner. I just found this article http://antiguaobserver.com/antiguan-firm-slysoft-ceases-operations-as-us-pressure-builds/ which makes me think that the US government put pressure on the Antiguan government to either stop Slysoft or get put on the watch list. And the filthy corrupt bully bought and paid for US govt is just no match for the Antiguan government and they didn't want to be on the watch list so they just said ok, we'll stomp him. And they did.

I don't know that I agree with the disc business dying down. I do agree though that the lifetime licensing may not be profitable enough. So again, don't want to but make it a yearly license, and I'll pay. I'm pretty sure we all will pay to keep it going. I'd even do it monthly if I had to, and I think others will too. I've been looking at DVDFab and their prices are insane. Plus their track record sucks. AnyDvd always overcomes anything new. So start it elsewhere, charge what you have to, to keep it going. I'll pay cause I trust it, who's with me?

The previous thread was closed because it had gone far off-topic. The thread was an official story about the closure. Closing it wasn't about people not being able to discuss things.

With respect to a release of the OPD to everyone I don't even know if it would be possible. For the same reasons that Slysoft has been forced to close its doors it likely isn't possible for them to release the OPD for download because of obvious legal reasons. I am not speaking for Slysoft but rather using simple logic.

I figure if there were reasons to not give it out then it would be offline now..right? The database wouldn't "just happen" to be left on. One can assume the OPD is a HUGE part of the process, so it stands to reason that it should have been shut down and removed at the same time the main page was. A forced closure by some outside entity would have known this as well, as they likely bought the product. If it keeps running indefinitely, then other discs could be fixed for some time could they not? So it is interesting that it remains up and can apparently be accessed...unless, as was said earlier in this thread, something will happen next week ;)

Would it be possible to consider a donation system as well? That way after lifetime purchases, users would still be able to support the fox.

I love the offline installation/activation. One of the many things I love about SlySoft. I've never been a fan of online activation due to requiring internet and if the company ever went down. Thus why I hate DRM. (Eventually when the game is outdated, it's no longer playable due to the activation servers being shut down.)

With donations you could possibly keep the offline lifetime model. This is of course, if SlySoft makes a come back.
You could have. I bought more than one license even though I was really only using it on one machine. You could buy a lifetime license every year as a "donation".

Don't be surprised if we lose the forums to.
I'll have to try passkey. All I need is access to the files and I'm good to go.

I plan on scanning all my bd+ discs over the next few days to ensure I have the necessary cache. I recommend others do the same while you can

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I plan on scanning all my bd+ discs over the next few days to ensure I have the necessary cache. I recommend others do the same while you can
Any easy way to tell which discs have BD+? Is it only Fox? I'd rather not have to feed all my discs.

its definitely every Fox disc, at least every one I tried from the last 4 years or so... Seemed to only be the feature discs (or all the discs in a TV series). Oddly the X-Files TV show wasn't BD+, but Firefly and America Horror Story where, so there doesn't seem to be any logic in it.

I'm sure a few other studios have played with BD+ I'm the past, but I don't think any have used it recently... But the only to know for sure is to try it. Start with your newest and work backward...

Back