• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

M-Discs

MCharlie

Anyone know about these Blu-Ray discs (Millennial Disc)? They are touted as the best. I *think* they require special burners, that are available from LG, ASUS, and Lite-On.

I am thinking about upgrading my writers as they seem to have a major issue with doing a 50GB clone and it is important (to me) that any clone I make, I want it to be every bit as good as the original.

(Hopefully, I haven't posted this in the wrong topic..I picked this one as there have been a number of 'discussions' about recording media.

MC

You think right. They do require compatible burners. M-discs are backwards compatible to where they can be read by a standard drive but burning requires an 'm-disc drive'. They supposedly have a lifetime of 1000 years due to the stone nature. My bh16 drive supports them but i haven't burned any yet and haven't seen any in retail or online stores either. The topic is in the wrong section though, you're in CloneBD section. M-discs are not a CloneBD issue. A better choice would have been the hardware drives section or blank media section.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

You think right. They do require compatible burners. M-discs are backwards compatible to where they can be read by a standard drive but burning requires an 'm-disc drive'. They supposedly have a lifetime of 1000 years due to the stone nature. My bh16 drive supports them but i haven't burned any yet and haven't seen any in retail or online stores either. The topic is in the wrong section though, you're in CloneBD section. M-discs are not a CloneBD issue. A better choice would have been the hardware drives section or blank media section.

Can you move the post? If not, I will do a cut and paste and try and delete here.

Thanks!

Nope, not a moderator just a translator. Don't worry about it, a mod will move it :)

Nope, not a moderator just a translator. Don't worry about it, a mod will move it :)

They oughta make you a mod..you have been the most helpful (or try to be) for many users here...I know you showed me the way out of the woods, for which, I am very grateful!

I'll await the move by a moderator and the admonishment for posting in the wrong forum!

<<GRIN>>

You are welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know about these Blu-Ray discs (Millennial Disc)? They are touted as the best. I *think* they require special burners, that are available from LG, ASUS, and Lite-On.

I am thinking about upgrading my writers as they seem to have a major issue with doing a 50GB clone and it is important (to me) that any clone I make, I want it to be every bit as good as the original.

(Hopefully, I haven't posted this in the wrong topic..I picked this one as there have been a number of 'discussions' about recording media.

MC
I have used M-discs for the purpose of backing up my Blu-Ray disks and files. I am using Verbatium M-disc (Amazon.com). As a lower cost alternative, I am considering archival quality Blu-Ray blanks from Digistor (25 and 50GB). For now I backup on hard drives since they are $190 for a WD 6TB hard drive (Costco). I see it as a cost trade-off whether you want 1000 (M-disc) or 20 (archival) year lifespan. The digistor disks are manufactured by Panasonic.

comply as far as I am aware blu ray mdisks the blu ray dvd standard and m disks the standard to korigieren please whom it should not be incorrect so it can also be read in other forums

go play in a normal dvd drive Solte not burn without a specially suitable dvd burner

The M-Disc Blu Ray versions work in virtually all Blu Ray writers. The M-Disc DVD's however area different story. The DVD writers for DVD M-Discs need to be M-Disc certified. The M-Disc requires higher laser burning power and, as per the M-Disc specifications creators, virtually all Blu Ray burners do but most DVD burners do not. I did a lot of research into the M-Discs before I bought the media. If burning a Blu Ray M-Disc no special software is needed because Blu Rays are already created at the higher laser power. However, when burning a DVD M-Disc, burning software that specifically states that it is M-Disc certified is required. The M-Disc website has recommendations for the burning software that supports M-Disc. They used to be under the name Milleniata but that site now points to mdisc.com. I guess they thought Milleniata was too confusing.

Last edited:
Here's a link to Verbatim's compatibility chart (pdf) which shows what burners will burn what M-disc format. So far, M-discs are only available in single layer in either DVD or BD discs so if anyone is interested in an M-disc 50GB clone, that will have to wait.

M-discs aren't necessarily any "better" when used to "make" a clone, they are just better at preserving the information that is cloned.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0ahUKEwjZsdTD5evLAhVBVGMKHRz-AW8QFghcMAo&url=http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/binarydata_m-disc-compatibility-chart-pdf_18547.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFwO7MQ9hhPOzhnezjJia_lrD9FaQ&cad=rja

Last edited:
Here's a link to Verbatim's compatibility chart (pdf) which shows what burners will burn what M-disc format. So far, M-discs are only available in single layer in either DVD or BD discs so if anyone is interested in an M-disc 50GB clone, that will have to wait.

M-discs aren't necessarily any "better" when used to "make" a clone, they are just better at preserving the information that is cloned.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0ahUKEwjZsdTD5evLAhVBVGMKHRz-AW8QFghcMAo&url=http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/binarydata_m-disc-compatibility-chart-pdf_18547.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFwO7MQ9hhPOzhnezjJia_lrD9FaQ&cad=rja

Thanks very much. That should help many people who are trying to determine what media writers to buy when they want to archive their data with the M-Disc.

I "engraved" my first M-Disc today and did a BD movie backup on a 25GB M-Disc. The disc worked on my standalone BD player without a problem. So now I will be able to watch my favorit movies also in 1.000 years ;-)

going to have to live that long first though :D and remember where you kept it :p

Just an update - Verbatim is now offering m-disc media in DVD and 25GB & 100GB BD formats. It seems that while the DVD media (still only single layer) is true m-disc technology, the BD media is a special lot of regular BD media chosen for its longevity, hence it may not have quite the same longevity of the DVD media. I, personally, don't have any plans to start using m-disc media to back up my BDs, however I have several applications which would benefit from the keeping qualities of m-discs. Many new decks now have the capability to burn both DVD and BD m-disc media (which can be read by most any disc player).

And CH3VRON, I am taking my vitamin pills so I can live long enough to appreciate their advertised life (and keep my memory intact - now where did I put the keys to my disc vault????).

http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en/cat/m-disc-archival-media/

I "engraved" my first M-Disc today and did a BD movie backup on a 25GB M-Disc. The disc worked on my standalone BD player without a problem. So now I will be able to watch my favorit movies also in 1.000 years ;-)
Dont forget to post how it played in 1,000 years from now.:LOL:

Back