• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Discussion: 4K Blu-ray Backup

Just saw this article on Torrentfreak:

https://torrentfreak.com/warner-bros-and-intel-sue-4k-content-protection-ripper-160104/

The article concludes with the following:

'For Warner Bros. it is essential that 4K copy protection remains strong. The company just announced that it will release several dozen 4K Blu-ray movies this year and would like to keep these out of the hands of pirates.'

The questions I have are these:

1. Anyone any idea what protection is incorporated on these discs?
2. Does Slysoft plan a product similar to Anydvd to allow consumer backup?
3. Given that LegendSky are being sued for the bypass they use on the HDFury product (HDCP) does Slysoft anticipate a similar suit over any product which facilitates a backup of a disc?

Notice how the story leads with the word 'ripper', not 'stripper', which is not the usual applied to theses products. Anyone any thoughts on this?

1. Anyone any idea what protection is incorporated on these discs?

Standard Blu-ray makes use of AACS v1.0 which Slysoft has handled. UHD 4k Blu-ray will make use of AACS v2.0.

2. Does Slysoft plan a product similar to Anydvd to allow consumer backup?

We'll have to wait and see what AACS v2.0 is like and what other annoyances come with the new format spect in terms of protections.

3. Given that LegendSky are being sued for the bypass they use on the HDFury product (HDCP) does Slysoft anticipate a similar suit over any product which facilitates a backup of a disc?

Slysoft has already had legal battles related to copying Blu-rays in the past.

This HDFury product sounds very interesting. I should order one before they are banned.

Cost is, er...prohibitive. Pointless anyway, as I don't possess any 4k equipment.
My policy is not to invest in a format until the means exists to backup my investment.
That being the case, I'll wait 'til Slysoft make an announcement later in the year.

This HDFury product sounds very interesting. I should order one before they are banned.
Yes, it is interesting. I wonder if they've seen a spike in sales with the news. :)

This is the link to the specific HDFury device that is the subject of the aforementioned lawsuit :
https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitters/integral-4k60-444-600mhz/

Anyone considering buying this, it's out of China and I recommend the Paypal option as it offers more buyer protection against problems with delivery than using a credit card or a direct bank transfer.

Last edited:
First 4K disc is The Martian, on Amazon USA with a pre-release date of March 1, 2016, @ $29.99. It also comes with a Blu-Ray disc (but not a Blu-Ray 3D disc?).

Martian_4K.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-4.../ref=tmm_frk_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

The disc is called "4K Ultra HD", or "Ultra HD" which is printed on the spine.

Wonder how the AACS 2.0 protection scheme is going to differ from AACS versions seen so far. Not sure what type of disc will actually be used.

I don't think there are any standalone players yet, except a Panasonic model in Japan which is not widely available (yet).

Back