• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD Labels

ChebSedrick

For those of you who want to make DVD labels there is a kit made by Memorex which has a CD disk with software which really does a nice job of making labels. You can then buy the refill packages as needed. If I have the DVD, I can scan it and save it for printing or there is an excellent web site which I've found which has about every DVD label for every movie ever made. It is "www.cdcovers.cc/covers". They have the DVD disk pictures as well as the plastic box covers if you want them. It's a free site. Try it... you'll like it.

Keep in mind that DVD Labels are problematic. If the glue is strong, it'll very likely to disolve or ruin the material that's holding the data. If the glue is weak, you'll have the labels peeling over time, and warped with heat. Get inkjet printable medias and an inkjet printer with a CD caddy. Then you can print perfect labels right on the media itself. Inkjet inks do not disolve anything, so you're safe there. The only thing is that the ink will run with exposure to water. Some people have used plastic finishing sprays to clear coat it.

Never use paper labels on dvds. They work better on cds.
I've proven to several people, how labels are a very big problem. Even with the applicator thingy, you probably won't get it exactly centered (it may look centered, but it's not), which means the disc will wobble when it spins. When it wobbles, it has read problems with the drive. The picture will pixellate and freeze, and the sound will hang and stutter.

I used to use labels, before I learned better. Friends have come over, and we'll watch a movie. Several times there was playback problems, like I mentioned above. I took the disc out, and saw it had a paper label. I peeled off the label, got the sticky glue off, put the movie back in, and it played flawlessly. This has happened with EVERY disc that had a paper label! EVERY disc! A friend has done the same, and it played perfect for him, after removing the label. Paper labels are a problem........ I also used the Memorex labels, mainly because I liked the templates in their software.

Do yourself a favor and use a "Sharpie" marker, or get a printer that prints on the disc. I promise you'll save yourself a lot of headaches! :)
The words of experience here...........

DVD Covers tip...

I (too) use the free DVD covers site www.cdcovers.cd/dvd_0.php ...I resize them with Irfan to 4.75" x 4.60" then print'em & put'em in jewel cases (rather than DVD boxes)....saves lots of storage space when you have over 250 DVD movie titles to store.

I worked in CD and DVD manufacturing for several years and paper labels are to be avoided mainly for the reasons stated above. In addition, if the label lifts up over time if will imbalance the disc during rotation. If the label isn't set centered perfectly there will be problems. You are adding weight to the disc by applying a label.I do have an option on my printer to print on disc but all I use is an indelible marker (a laundry marker).

Labels

I totally agree with the above responses which recommend not using labels.
Not every time... Yet more and more often I have issues with paper labels.
I admit that they do look much better, but once the disc is in the player it really doesn't matter if it has a label or not. Just watch and enjoy!!!:clap:

I too attempted to use paper labels several years ago. They sometimes worked on Music Cd's but most all DVD's would freeze-up and have all sorts of problems. I'll end up using a DVD printer as soon as they improve the editing software. I've wondered if spraying a plastic coating would stop ink from running if water gets to it so I'm glad to see others have tried it. For the time being I'm just using a Sharpie.

dvd covers

Hi all,
I have recently purchased a HP-Lightscribe dvd/cd burner for $49.00 at Tigerdirect.com and it's a dream to use! It burns an image pic/etc: onto the dvd/cd with it's laser... Only prob. the tecno hasn't come up to color just greyscale...but you can purchase various colored cd/dvd's...... I honestly can't see myself going back to the ol stick-on labels any more. jmho :>
Cheers.
Dashhappy...........................:agree:

I do have an option on my printer to print on disc but all I use is an indelible marker (a laundry marker).

Personally I use either printable discs or my old "TDK CD-R Pen" fibre tipped pens I bought years ago.

I wouldn't stick anything (paper or otherwise) on a CD/DVD - seems to me (at least) to be an invitation to screw up the player ...

Labels FTL!

I had a label come off a CD while it was in use and it destroyed the drive it was in (good thing it was a plain CDROM, and not a DVD burner).

I like inkjet printable discs and my printer was purchased BECAUSE it allowed printing to CD/DVDs.

Lightscribe is okay I guess... but the time it spends "burning" the label would be better spent, ripping another disc. And the fact that it can't do color... I find Lightscribe labeled discs hard to read.

Will the owners of lightscribe drives be willing to swap their color printers (inkjet/laser) for an old 9 pin B&W dot matrix printer I have sitting in my garage??? :p

I have used an Epson Stylus Photo R300 for a couple of years in conjunction with undercoverxp prog. and cdcovers.com. Epson supply prog. for disc printing to import or make-up a cover, while undercoverxp is great for one click printing of box covers of most sizes, normal,slim doubles etc.

I too attempted to use paper labels several years ago. They sometimes worked on Music Cd's but most all DVD's would freeze-up and have all sorts of problems. I'll end up using a DVD printer as soon as they improve the editing software. I've wondered if spraying a plastic coating would stop ink from running if water gets to it so I'm glad to see others have tried it. For the time being I'm just using a Sharpie.

When using a Sharpie, make sure it's non-toxic, made especially for CDs & DVDs., Memorex also has DVD markers and they can be found at most office supply stores :)

When using a Sharpie, make sure it's non-toxic, made especially for CDs & DVDs., Memorex also has DVD markers and they can be found at most office supply stores :)

I have been using the regular Sharpies on all my DVD back ups and have had zero problems. I use the actual Sharpie brand, not sure if that is the difference.

Paper labels simply suck big time. The easiest solution is to use a sharpie. This method may not be the most professional, but it gets the job done:D

Keep in mind that DVD Labels are problematic. If the glue is strong, it'll very likely to disolve or ruin the material that's holding the data. If the glue is weak, you'll have the labels peeling over time, and warped with heat. Get inkjet printable medias and an inkjet printer with a CD caddy. Then you can print perfect labels right on the media itself. Inkjet inks do not disolve anything, so you're safe there. The only thing is that the ink will run with exposure to water. Some people have used plastic finishing sprays to clear coat it.

Since I discovered White Inkjet Hub Printable 16X DVD+R's and White Inkjet Printable 2.4X - 8X Dual Layer DVD+R's and an Epson R340 printer, I haven't looked back.

The Epson Software for creating the picture that you print on the DVD's is excellent. HP also makes a cheap machine that will print directly to DVD's and CD's however; the software is a pain and it doesn't give you all the options that you need to create a good looking DVD or CD picture.

Eric

I (too) use the free DVD covers site www.cdcovers.cd/dvd_0.php ...I resize them with Irfan to 4.75" x 4.60" then print'em & put'em in jewel cases (rather than DVD boxes)....saves lots of storage space when you have over 250 DVD movie titles to store.

Thanks folks, the Irfan with the cdcover website works great! I can get 2 on a single page and cut them to fit. Looks great, but now I have about 300 covers to make...:eek:

Back