• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Frame Skipping with PowerDVD Ultra

Not sure why my post took at turn about subtitles or words about slang but can we come back to the threads topic please.

i did post my pc spec on the 1st page.

ive also tried on my normal pc which has a 2.4Ghz core 2 duo. 4gb ram and a GTS320mb.

I rip to a folder and play from there.

Any sugestions please.

Not sure why my post took at turn about subtitles or words about slang but can we come back to the threads topic please.

i did post my pc spec on the 1st page.

ive also tried on my normal pc which has a 2.4Ghz core 2 duo. 4gb ram and a GTS320mb.

I rip to a folder and play from there.

Any sugestions please.

Which MB are you using?

If it is F-I90HD, you need:

- dual channel RAM (two sticks, 2x512, or 2x1GB) - imperative.

- CPU overclocked to at least 2.4Ghz.

Yes im using Fatal1ty F-I90HD
Im not currently overclocking and not seen cpu above about 40%, you think there may be spikes?
cpu is Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB Cache
Memory is 2x Crucial 512MB 240-Pin DIMM Unbuffered DDR2 PC 4200 533MHz CL4
Im going to get a seperate audio card the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 when it comes out as I have a very decent audio system and want to get best audio I can.

Yes im using Fatal1ty F-I90HD
Im not currently overclocking and not seen cpu above about 40%, you think there may be spikes?
cpu is Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz Socket 775 FSB800 2MB Cache
Memory is 2x Crucial 512MB 240-Pin DIMM Unbuffered DDR2 PC 4200 533MHz CL4
Im going to get a seperate audio card the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 when it comes out as I have a very decent audio system and want to get best audio I can.

Your CPU is underpowered for the smooth HD DVD playback. According to my tests Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz is a minimum.

Your RAM is not fast enough. You need DDR 667 RAM to get full benefits of your system.

If you are going to use S/PDIF, getting a separate sound card does not make much sense. However, if your receiver supports HD Audio uncompressed and you intend to use analog outputs, then it makes sense.

Thanks for your input.
I cant test anything at the moment as my projector is having a firmware upgrade.
Im happy that other people arnt getting the skipping of frames so at least I know i will eventually get smooth playback.

My other pc is a 2.4 and mem is 1066 sli, I'll give that a go again when i get my screen back.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks for your input.
I cant test anything at the moment as my projector is having a firmware upgrade.
Im happy that other people arnt getting the skipping of frames so at least I know i will eventually get smooth playback.

My other pc is a 2.4 and mem is 1066 sli, I'll give that a go again when i get my screen back.

Just to let you know, I have 3 HTPCs based on F-I90HD and all 3 of them have absolutely no problems w/HD DVDs.

I use non-OEM HSFs (Zalman 7700 ALCu) to keep overclocked E4300 quiet and cool and I don't install SouthBridge drivers during Catalyst Control Center installation.

Quite a few hours of tweaking, but now those are perfect playback machines for a very reasonable cost.

Good luck.

I can re-create skipping using the PowerDVD codecs on Media Player Classic and Windows Media player. Basically, I think the video decoders from PowerDVD need an absolutely clean install of windows to work correctly.

I don't have ANY problems ripping HDDVD's and playing them back but did try to attepmt to playback the EVOB's and M2TS's files on other softare to do some testing and could never quite get them to play correctly. I did find out that the PowerDVD decoders aren't 100% on other software and use the same decoding schemes as other players when not playing HDDVD mode or playing file mode. Basically, I cannot get PowerDVD to play the EVOB files without massive artifacts happening. It does play the ripped image impeccibly but not the single EVOB as it defaults to system configuration.

My set up, Vista Ultimate, 2.13gHz duo core with 2 gigs of ram, Nvidia 7600GT, w/ 256MB's PureVideo HD. Not a wimpy system at all but using the incorrect codec to do the job raises the CPU level to 80 and 90% ++.

I'd recomend you do a clean install with as little video software installed as possible. Play only the full rips and not the EVOB's or M2TS files. It should fix up any problems you're having.

Note, I've noticed the best CPU usage with the microsoft video mpeg decoder as it seems to talk directly to the graphic card. On Eragon my CPU usage playing back in file mode is a mere 10% and using PowerDVD stays a steady 30 to 40%.
Thanks for your input.

Back