• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I am calling for the separate development of 3-Anydvd programs.

ireland

Slysoft developers
For
Windows 98,2000 and XP {No Anydvd HD Support} 99% are users
Windows 98,2000 and XP HD and Blue Ray Support (Anydvd HD) Est. 10% are users
Vista HD and Blue Ray Support (Anydvd HD) Est.1% are users

Give us a pick of what to use.

cheers

Slysoft developers
For

cheers

110% :confused:

Do you have otherwise no problems?

110% :confused:

Do you have otherwise no problems?

Their math makes perfect sense. Of the users of AnyDVD 99% use Windows 98/ME/2k/XP while 1% use Vista. Of course this is open for debate. Nonetheless, only 10% of the Windows 98/ME/2k/XP subset of users actually make use of AnyDVD HD with the core 90% of the Windows 98/ME/2k/XP subset of users using plain old AnyDVD Classic.

I'm against breaking it into completely different downloads for your OS. IMHO, It should be developed in parallel with one installer that does what it needs to do based on your OS at the time of installation.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to see 98/ME support dropped if it would ease the amount of work to evolve the program w/o having to worry about backward compatibility.

And, yes, I expect a lot of people to give me the middle finger and shout expletives in my direction.

I agree with DrinkLyeAndDie.

So do I, it is almost impossible for a vendor to maintain a support model that has backward compatibility on their product over the long term, it is not a viable business model.

End of support announcements are not uncommon for a vendor and allow the product to progress in line with advancements in both hardware and software. Right now support on XP is viable but is bound to end due to the Vista product. Connect the support of the product to the base market and grow with it. It is impossible to keep all OS's supported in the long run.

Backwards compatibility....

Hope support can be maintained for 98SE as gazillions of computers are still running with it. Someone just gave me an older Toshiba laptop, a Satellite 330CDS, I'm cleaning the HDD and will bring it up from ground zero with 98SE as that's a viable vintage OS for this computer. Later if available I'll obtain a RW DVD drive to replace the existing CD drive and that might make a nice supplemental computer to run CloneDVD with.

All my other computers run with XP Media edition, but the main reason this was put in was to enable big HDD drives. From what I hear around here, practically NOBODY wants anything to do with Vista. Gee whiz, guys, PLEASE don't ever force us into vista only!

For many years I've been a careful archiver of legacy software, even have DOS 1.0 with the book! And a neat original, genuine IBM AT computer, that I use out at one of the storage facilities [home away from home] and it still runs, everything works!!

K.

Hope support can be maintained for 98SE as gazillions of computers are still running with it.

I fully sympathize with people still running Windows 98/98SE and I even know people still running Windows 95. I can also understand why many people do this, as well. When it causes a developer to do far more work to maintain support for an OS that has already lost support from Microsoft and slows the evolution of a program because it is constrained to the limitations of an older obsolete OS then that is when I am unhappy. If AnyDVD doesn't have to worry about this then awesome but when it does cause a problem with the advancement of the program then I definitely will not be happy. Make sense? :)

i don't really see you guy's point - there IS a single installer that works across all platforms and both versions (normal and hd).

i agree drop 98 support, but its almost entirely pointless to split off the hd version, there's not that much difference in the code i expect, and you can buy the dvd version without paying for the hd license, so what's the problem?

Slysoft developers
For

cheers

Hi :)
Having thought about this for a while.
I can say that it appears to me to be a non starter.
If you're really suggesting this!
Look at possible consequences.
The COST!
Or do you think this should be for the love of it.
Possible versions*
AnyDVD for - Windows 98,2000 and XP
AnyDVDHD - Windows 98,2000 and XP
AnyDVD for - Vista
AnyDVDHD - Vista
I have included the split for HD as it is implied by the OP. They you should have a choice & the right to use it.
On this basis then a split would be logical.
NOT!!! :D
A do all program for various OSes & requirements is what you need & have got.
You also in the case of AnyDVD/AnyDVDHD have an 'addtional' program to upgrade too. With all the familiarity of the existing one.
For which there's a modest fee should you wish it.
Enough choice for me.
Signed
1%​
Sorry Vista Ultimate user. :p
*Each version to be subject to modest fee.

i don't really see you guy's point - there IS a single installer that works across all platforms and both versions (normal and hd).

i agree drop 98 support, but its almost entirely pointless to split off the hd version, there's not that much difference in the code i expect, and you can buy the dvd version without paying for the hd license, so what's the problem?

I'll keep 98 support as long as possible, however new features will probably not work on Windows 9x.
For example, the HD / Blu-ray option already does not work on Windows 98/ME.
New features like drive cache, subtitle repositioning, etc. won't be implemented on Windows 98/ME as well.

The reason to keep Windows 9x support in AnyDVD is very simple:
AnyDVD's main use case is (despite common belief) to *watch* DVDs on a media PC.
Windows 98SE is perfect, if you want to build a cheap DVD player with old hardware components. There were several older media center solutions on the market based on Windows 9x.

For other programs (CloneDVD, CloneDVD mobile, CloneCD, GameJackal) Windows 9x support isn't so important, only very few people use Windows 9x as the "main" operating system.
CloneDVD mobile and Gamejackal both don't support Windows 9x.

Please excuse my outspokenness but I have just read a thread of postings, 90% of which were written by people who are victims of the Microsoft Propaganda Machine.

I read "robot-maketing-repeat" baloney like:
"...XP more stable platform than 98 or ME ..."
"... viable business model ..."
"... ease the work of backward compatibility ..."
"... impossible for a vendor to maintain a support model ..."
"... I sympathize with people still running Windows 98/ME ..."
"... more work to maintain support ..."
"... slows the evolution of a program ..."
"... drop 98 support ... not that much difference in the code... "

Nobody talks like that unless they are trying to fill your minds with gump in order to sell you something ... wake up ... think for yourselves!

DUH! 98/ME and 2000 up to SP3 are the last Windows releases to not have your new friggin' friend: DRM (Digital Rights Management) to guide you through the quagmires and moral confusions of having crushed YOUR "Fair Use" copyright rights that you have inherited from a century of Legal Precedents determined by people who fought court battles for the rights that you all give away to "Corporate Amerika" by making all the statements that I read on this thread. (hows that for an angry run-on sentence!)

So don't be stupid or gullible. Go ahead and have your fancy super duper XP or Vista machine for your main work. But this a forum for backing up DVD movies. Backing up does not require a powerful machine or feature rich OS. Making backups only requires a simple machine without alot of conflicts and copying interferences. Pre Win2000SP4 OS's are extreemly valid for the domain and purpose of this entire forum. Thank you James for continuing support.

Best regards & hello to my old friend and Moderator Ireland (the OP),
Whisperer

Last edited:
Please excuse my outspokenness but I have just read a thread of postings, 90% of which were written by people who are victims of the Microsoft Propaganda Machine.

Wow, this is really a religious touch point for you. This kind of assumption can only come from someone who doesn't actually work in the industry, or if you do you are certainly not in a position to make business decisions. You would be out of business in a week with an attitude like that. This was not a reference to MS in any form, but a statement of common models used by software vendors around the world.

We are all very lucky that Slysoft chooses to support older operating systems. The comments where around it not being sustainable on going, not that it wasn't appreciated.

Nobody talks like that unless they are trying to fill your minds with gump in order to sell you something ... wake up ... think for yourselves!

Actually plenty of successful companies "talk like that" it is how people communicate in a business that doesn't involve flipping the next burger. Jeez man, you really are rather inflammatory and passionate about being anti MS. You should get involved in the IT industry and try to apply this religious rhetoric with your employer.

So don't be stupid or gullible. Go ahead and have your fancy super duper XP or Vista machine for your main work. But this a forum for backing up DVD movies. Backing up does not require a powerful machine or feature rich OS.

Didn't think that anyone on this thread was stupid or gullible, we were talking about possible support options for a product everyone in the thread uses and likes. It is talk and James was very kind to explain why they are supporting 9x and even he acknowledged that not all features will continue indefinitely for that branch of windows.

Sooooo, let me get this straight....

There are people out there using an OS that MS themselves has said should *NEVER* be attached to the internet because it's impossible to secure it properly...and they want support for new programs?! :) I can almost buy the Win2k argument as it's at least more or less secure and running on a mostly modern kernel. But 98?!?! I would drop support for it in a heartbeat if it were up to me. (Yea, yea, I'm sure you're all glad it's not! :D) MS doesn't even support it anymore. If support for it in AnyDVD can be maintained easily for DVDs, great, go with that. But if it ever gets to a point where 98 support is holding up development or causing problems, I'd nuke it quickly. :D

I read "robot-maketing-repeat" baloney like:
"...XP more stable platform than 98 or ME ..."
"... viable business model ..."
"... ease the work of backward compatibility ..."
"... impossible for a vendor to maintain a support model ..."
"... I sympathize with people still running Windows 98/ME ..."
"... more work to maintain support ..."
"... slows the evolution of a program ..."
"... drop 98 support ... not that much difference in the code... "

DUH! 98/ME and 2000 up to SP3 are the last Windows releases to not have your new friggin' friend: DRM (Digital Rights Management) to guide you through the quagmires and moral confusions of having crushed YOUR "Fair Use" copyright rights that you have inherited from a century of Legal Precedents determined by people who fought court battles for the rights that you all give away to "Corporate Amerika" by making all the statements that I read on this thread. (hows that for an angry run-on sentence!)

So don't be stupid or gullible. Go ahead and have your fancy super duper XP or Vista machine for your main work. But this a forum for backing up DVD movies. Backing up does not require a powerful machine or feature rich OS. Making backups only requires a simple machine without alot of conflicts and copying interferences. Pre Win2000SP4 OS's are extreemly valid for the domain and purpose of this entire forum. Thank you James for continuing support.

Best regards & hello to my old friend and Moderator Ireland (the OP),
Whisperer

Since you quoted me I am going to reply.

Please give people some credit without insulting everyones intelligence. Your post essentially was one long insult. I have not been brainwashed. My points are valid even if you disagree.

James has even said that some features simply will not be supported in Win 9x. I would suggest that these features be listed in bold and large text on the Slysoft website so that when such features do not work people don't begin a riot.

Microsoft has dropped support for Win 9x and ME. Why should software developers be forced to continue supporting the OS when bugs/flaws in the OS will not be fixed by Microsoft?

That said, I appreciate the wisdom of James' explanation as to why he wishes to keep Windows 98/98 SE support as long as possible. He made a valid point.

Last edited:
DUH! 98/ME and 2000 up to SP3 are the last Windows releases to not have your new friggin' friend: DRM (Digital Rights Management) ...
I really like(d?) Windows 2000 myself, Windows 98SE sucks (from a technical point of view, it is still very usable for certain use cases, like "watch a DVD"). Windows XP (and Vista, too) isn't so much different to Windows 2000 anyway. Programs designed for XP usually run fine on Windows 2000.
Unfortunately HD DVD playback with PowerDVD Ultra doesn't work on Windows 2000, so for me personally Windows 2000 is no longer an option.
But why Windows 2000 SP3? What's wrong with SP4?

Because he believes that SP4 added a bunch of DRM stuff like an updated Windows Media Player that contains draconian DRM. There are a lot of people out there that refuse to go past SP3 on Win2k for fear of DRM. I find those fears HIGHLY overblown. I don't use any Windows Media formats for music and video(VC1 not withstanding, of course). I use iTunes for all my music and DRM is stripped from them as soon as I buy them. We obviously have AnyDVD for the video DRM problems. So, really, I just don't get the paranoia, but, that's the reason...

Sooooo, let me get this straight....

There are people out there using an OS that MS themselves has said should *NEVER* be attached to the internet because it's impossible to secure it properly...and they want support for new programs?! :) I can almost buy the Win2k argument as it's at least more or less secure and running on a mostly modern kernel. But 98?!?! I would drop support for it in a heartbeat if it were up to me. (Yea, yea, I'm sure you're all glad it's not! :D) MS doesn't even support it anymore. If support for it in AnyDVD can be maintained easily for DVDs, great, go with that. But if it ever gets to a point where 98 support is holding up development or causing problems, I'd nuke it quickly. :D

As I said - Windows 98SE is a cheap solution for embedded applications, like "use the old Pentium II with only 128MB RAM as my DVD player". Old Win98 installation discs can be bought for ... almost nothing.
And you don't need to connect a DVD player to the internet... ;)
And AnyDVD's most overlooked purpose is to help people *watch* DVDs the way they want. It would be foolish to drop 9x support completely.
On the other hand - who is really using CPU intensive applications like CloneDVD or CloneDVD mobile on an old Win9x box?

Wouldn't it be easier to turn that old machine into a linux DVD player?! :) Then you can use a modern machine to rip and burn using AnyDVD so the old machine doesn't have to worry about processing it on the fly. :)

Wouldn't it be easier to turn that old machine into a linux DVD player?! :) Then you can use a modern machine to rip and burn using AnyDVD so the old machine doesn't have to worry about processing it on the fly. :)
No, AnyDVD doesn't work on Linux (or BSD). AnyDVD is designed for *watching* the original disc on the playback machine the way you want to (different region, transparent subtitles, quiet drive speed, jump over FBI warnings and trailers, ...)

Back