• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cinavia Protection Not Removed on Netflix Version of The Hunger Games: MockingJay

jimswain1

I have been successful in the past in ripping Cinavia-protected movies to ISO using CloneBD with the Cinavia protection removed by AnyDVDHD. When I tried this with The Hunger Games:MockingJay, I found that there was no option available on the Target tab of CloneBD to "Convert HD Audio to AC3" (the option was grayed out). I assume this is because the audio file on this Netflix-provided source BD was already listed as being in AC3 format. In any event, I tried to rip the disk to ISO anyway, with the flag set in AnyDVDHD to "Remove Cinavia Protection...". When I played the resultant ISO file in CloneBD Preview, it still triggered the Cinavia Protection Alarm. I assume that this means that Cinavia Protection was not removed? Am I doing something wrong?

Standard ac3 audio is not HD, that's what CloneBD converts it into when removing the cinavia. So yes, it obviously didn't get removed because the audio must not have been HD. So anydvd's fix didn't kick in to remove it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I have that disc (MockingJay Pt 1) US Netflix. I just looked at it with AnyDVD HD 7.6.0.1 and Clone BD 1.0.4.8. When I preview the main feature in Clone BD the Cinavia warning pops up. If I do a Complete Copy the "convert HD audio to AC3" option is present and can be checked. The main audio track is labeled as English AC3 multi-ch in Clone BD - BDInfo shows it is encoded at 640 kbps.

I'm not sure what would be different about the discs. Are you using the latest versions?

Then you have a different version. Movies come in multiple version per movie and again more versions per region. Nothing unusual

Standard ac3 audio is not HD, that's what CloneBD converts it into when removing the cinavia. So yes, it obviously didn't get removed because the audio must not have been HD. So anydvd's fix didn't kick in to remove it.

Ac3 660 is my choice for 5.1 digital and its sounds fantastic. Not sure what you mean by non HD. I play DTS untouched and cannot tell the difference on my 15 thousand dollar system. Please educate me on this.

I have that disc (MockingJay Pt 1) US Netflix. I just looked at it with AnyDVD HD 7.6.0.1 and Clone BD 1.0.4.8. When I preview the main feature in Clone BD the Cinavia warning pops up. If I do a Complete Copy the "convert HD audio to AC3" option is present and can be checked. The main audio track is labeled as English AC3 multi-ch in Clone BD - BDInfo shows it is encoded at 640 kbps.

I'm not sure what would be different about the discs. Are you using the latest versions?

I'm using the latest production versions, AnyDVDHD 7.6.0.0 and CloneBD 1.0.4.8. The difference was that I was doing a partial copy (main feature only), whereas you set it for complete copy. I went back and tried complete copy, and as you said, it does now give me the option for "convert HD audio to AC3". Using that option, I have restarted the rip to ISO. I'll post the results for that. I'm not optimistic, however, as the rip is progressing much too rapidly to be removing Cinavia protection.

I'm using the latest production versions, AnyDVDHD 7.6.0.0 and CloneBD 1.0.4.8. The difference was that I was doing a partial copy (main feature only), whereas you set it for complete copy. I went back and tried complete copy, and as you said, it does now give me the option for "convert HD audio to AC3". Using that option, I have restarted the rip to ISO. I'll post the results for that. I'm not optimistic, however, as the rip is progressing much too rapidly to be removing Cinavia protection.

As I expected, the rip to ISO done above still resulted in a Cinavia warning when the main feature was previewed in CloneBD. My take on this is that AnyDVDHD does not currently have a fix for Cinavia Protection for the stripped-down rental BD disks that do not contain an "HD" main feature soundtrack (These disks apparently sometimes only contain an AC3 soundtrack). I wonder if Slysoft will pursue a fix for this, or if we will be left hanging with no fix for ripping these disks?

Does the AnyDVD notfication icon turn purple? If not, the fix isn't working.

Does the AnyDVD notfication icon turn purple? If not, the fix isn't working.

James, the AnyDVD notification icon does not turn purple at any stage in the process, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
No one else is having this problem? I have the same problem with The Divergent Series: Insurgent now. This Netflix BD has Cinavia protection, but Netflix is using AC3 audio for the sound track instead of HD audio, therefore the AnyDVDHD Cinavia removal program does not kick in to remove the Cinavia protection, resulting in a copy that still contains Cinavia protection. Help!

No one else is having this problem? I have the same problem with The Divergent Series: Insurgent now. This Netflix BD has Cinavia protection, but Netflix is using AC3 audio for the sound track instead of HD audio, therefore the AnyDVDHD Cinavia removal program does not kick in to remove the Cinavia protection, resulting in a copy that still contains Cinavia protection. Help!

Please post an AnyDVD HD log with this link, and the zipped jar file from the disc, with AnyDVD HD disabled, just in case this is a new version of the movie--i.e. different disc.

EDIT: You are talking about a different movie than the original one at the beginning of this thread.

Yes, I have had the exact same problem with two different movies so far, both of them from Netflix, and both having an AC3 sound track in place of the normal HD sound track. Apparently, AnyDVDHD will only remove Cinavia protection from HD sound tracks, not from AC3 sound tracks?

I don't have the disc any more. It just went back to Netflix. I'll post that info on the next one of these I run into.

It does long work with HD audio yes, the checkbox in CloneBD clearly states 'convert HD audio to ac3'. Since the audio is already in standard ac3 there is no conversion being done and as such the anydvd doesn't detect HD audio processing and the fix isn't applied.

It's not a bug or by design in anydvd nor CloneBD, since there is no HD audio source there's nothing to process. It would seem there's a 'gap' in the cinavia fix. The fix will need an update to fix that gap.

It does long work with HD audio yes, the checkbox in CloneBD clearly states 'convert HD audio to ac3'. Since the audio is already in standard ac3 there is no conversion being done and as such the anydvd doesn't detect HD audio processing and the fix isn't applied.

It's not a bug or by design in anydvd nor CloneBD, since there is no HD audio source there's nothing to process. It would seem there's a 'gap' in the cinavia fix. The fix will need an update to fix that gap.

That's very interesting and very surprising to me that there would be a gap with AC3 like that. It's well known that Cinavia does persist on any classic re-encodes. It should be easy to correct though if the algo knows that Cinavia is embedded.

One obvious question, if you convert HD audio to AC3 and it has Cinavia embedded (without using the CloneBD/AnyDVDHD Cinavia removal), will AnyDVDHD still disable Cinavia protection with PDVD?

Last edited:
You're not reading that correctly, since the source is already standard ac3 with cinavia there's nothing for CloneBD to downscale/recode to ac3 and the fix doesn't get applied, the fix requires downscaling of HD audio and standard ac3 5.1 isn't HD.

In this case with software players cinavia would not trigger but that's because anydvd's 'software player fix' patches the player to not look for the signal. Completely different thing from actually removing it by going from HD audio (eg 7.1) to standard ac3 5.1.

Still not clear on that. Why could CloneBD not re-encode AC3 to remove Cinavia? Why should it matter what format it is in? This sounds like a major gap that could be easily fixed.

Why? Because as I said earlier, the checkbox specifically states 'convert HD <== audio to ac3'. No hd = no conversion = anydvd doesn't detect HD conversion = removal doesn't get applied.

Until recently we didn't know that gap existed because we haven't seen bd's with non-hd audio. Should it matter what format is in, to me no. For me the checkbox would need to be renamed to 'force audio recode' or something. Which would recode the audio even if it's in standard ac3, anydvd's removal fix would need to be modified to match that.

Major gap? I agree, easy fix you don't know that unless you work on the development team.

Anyway all of this is still only guess work. We need an official response but that's what I believe is the core of the problem. No recode being done = no signal removal

Until recently we didn't know that gap existed because we haven't seen bd's with non-hd audio.

Discs that are completely stripped of extras AND HD Audio have been common for years on Netflix / Redbox. It makes me wonder why they even create an HD rental disc at all. Why not rent only the DVD if you are going to strip the discs down that much? Anyway, that's a whole other discussion. :p

Anyway, can a developer confirm that this is indeed a bug? Cinavia on AC3 only disc does not get processed?

I knew it, couldn't have been a bug. That would have required it to be designed first (and with a flaw). It was just a "gap" (design flaw) in the cinavia fix. Good to hear that James, i am wondering though how the progress is on the sound quality (the phase shifting) etc, any news on better output (and no, not talking about HD quality :) )

Back