• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Frame Skipping with PowerDVD Ultra

Datus

Im having problems with frame skipping whilst watching a HDDVD, Seems to happen more if large parts of the screen update.

I read something about a NAV Chain bug.

Anyone know what the hell their talking about and if so is ripping with AnyDVDHD casuing my issue and if so is a fix on the way.

Im having problems with frame skipping whilst watching a HDDVD, Seems to happen more if large parts of the screen update.

Anyone know what the hell their talking about and if so is ripping with AnyDVDHD casuing my issue and if so is a fix on the way.

The so called "NAV chain bug" is none - the originator of this term thought this to be a bug in the streams, but actually it was a "feature" and more or less a bug in PowerDVD (that couldn't handle the feature). Saying "more or less", because even that is not entirely true.

The idea of a nav chain bug was eventually given up.

The term itself is obsolete and AnyDVD doesn't do the "fixing" anyway, because it could ruin the HD-DVD when copied.

The effects you are seeing more likely are due to insufficient hardware performance, what are you using?

How do you play back the rip? Do *not* play back the .evo files.

Seems to me that AnyDVD has compatability issues with PowerDVD Ultra. If I use AnyDVD I cannot access menu features properly (most features are inaccessible and buggy) and I get subtitles on ALL rips.

Seems to me this is a major issue that needs to be addressed with an option to remove subtitles before the rip, and not something that we do by messing around with the xpl file.

An option to remove most, if not all, of the unwanted features and save HDD space would also be very welcome.

Thanks for the replies.

Im using a 1.8ghz intel core 2 duo, 1gig ram, xp pro.
cpu is arround 35-40% in use and 640meg ram used.
Graphics is an on board ati 1250.

I dont think its hardware, makes no difference on frame rate either.
1080i or 1080P

Can someone confirm that they dont get frame skiping on HDDVD.

Is this a fature of HD?

Note to James:
I access the movie by selecting "open movie file from disk" and point it to the folder that contains the rip (same as for normal dvd's).

Note to Flicker:
Some menu's didnt work before but that was a powerdvd ultra issue this was fixed with the last update. Use the cursor key on your keyboard.
Also sub titles problem is fixed.

Seems to me that AnyDVD has compatability issues with PowerDVD Ultra. If I use AnyDVD I cannot access menu features properly (most features are inaccessible and buggy) and I get subtitles on ALL rips.
This is not an AnyDVD problem. PowerDVD plays the discs exactly in the same way with or without AnyDVD.

I have plenty of HD-dvd's and Blu-ray discs, and they all play fine without skipping or having subtitles coming up whether I have Anydvd running or not, so I'd say it was more likely the graphics card isn't up to it

This is not an AnyDVD problem. PowerDVD plays the discs exactly in the same way with or without AnyDVD.

Not true. Without AnyDVD running I can access all menu features smoothly and they play without subtitles.

With AnyDVD running I can't access most menu features, the menu is buggy and unstable, and movies run with subtitles.

With computer and card are above HD specs.

It's an issue between AnyDVD and PowerDVD Ultra.

Not true. Without AnyDVD running I can access all menu features smoothly and they play without subtitles.

With AnyDVD running I can't access most menu features, the menu is buggy and unstable, and movies run with subtitles.

With computer and card are above HD specs.

It's an issue between AnyDVD and PowerDVD Ultra.
What a bold statement.

Sorry, but I cannot reproduce this. I have tested 86 HD DVD discs and 16 Blu-ray discs with AnyDVD and PowerDVD 7.3 (build 3104) and they play exactly as they should. (The 17th Blu-ray disc will play after the next update, specific for this title).
For 1 disc (DVE HD) you must disable "Remove first play from HD DVD" to work properly.

If there is a problem (e.g. subtitles on new Studio Canal titles) it is unrelated to AnyDVD HD. Will say, PowerDVD doesn't display them. Nothing AnyDVD can do about this.

Maybe you are using a different PowerDVD version? Maybe another program is conflicting?

Bold statement No. 2:

Webslinger's AnyDVD tutorial sucks and is causing serious problems for AnyDVD users.

Conclusion:

Following the forum's AnyDVD tutorial guide is leading to problems with menu and subtitle issues with PowerDVD Ultra. Also, AnyDVD's option to delete the "script file" can cause problems with some systems. If the HD-DVD is ripped to a "new folder", and not the AnyDVD created folder with the specific movie title in the Documents folder, issues with menu access and unwanted subtitles onscreen can arise.

If the HD-DVD is ripped to the AnyDVD created folder that is specific to the movie, no issues occur with menu access and unwanted subtitles. There is no need to edit the xpl file and remove the subtitles, as many AnyDVD users are doing, if the movie is ripped to the AnyDVD movie specific folder.

Additionallly, the deletion of the "script file" not only "loses all changes" but causes issues with menu access and unwanted subtitles during playback with some systems.

Ignoring Webslinger's AnyDVD tutorial guide is best advisable and ripping to the AnyDVD movie specific folder (ie. KING KONG) in your Documents is the best option for users who experience the above-mentioned problems.

Sorry, Webslinger, but your link sucks :doh: (sucks meaning "inadequate" as a full and complete tutorial that benefits all systems and configurations that are HD ready. Especially Vista users. And users who do not want to have to edit their xpl files and remove all, and usually manyfold, references to subtitles in the xpl script. The use of the word "sucks" in no way implies any sexual reference, hetrosexual or homosexual, or sexual connotation. In this instance the word "sucks" is used in a contemporary, quasi-urban grammatical construction i.e. Bart Simpson may say to his fallable father Homer, "That really sucks, Dad!" This is no way implies that Bart's father Homer is a homosexual or has an inclination towards child abuse, it is just that Homer Simpson has not met the high expectations of his son Bart.)

Last edited:
Not exactly the most appropriate language, is it?

Hi folks!

I've been away for quite some time... but I just saw this thread... and...

Sorry, Webslinger, but your link sucks :doh:

Well... indeed a rather bold statement, and a rather harsh language! Unnecessary harsh...

The above mentioned tutorial is meant to help (and I'm sure it does in the majority of the cases), and I'm also sure that it took some time & effort to write and present it.
So, above all I think that a "THANK YOU" is due!!

And if a user (you in this case) has a problem with it, than it certainly does not mean that anything here "sucks", and especially not the link to the tutorial.
There are 1000 reasons why something might not work for a specific combination of progs, hardware and the likes... and even IF in the end it comes down to the tutorial being not perfect for everyone (or every possible combination of hard- and software), still there's no need to use such language...

People are trying to help people here... and this help is MUCH APPRECIATED, so what on earth "sucks" here?????

Just my 2 cents... that's all...

SlySoft team & mods... all the best & keep up the good work!

Petros

Bold statement No. 2:

Webslinger's AnyDVD tutorial sucks and is causing serious problems for AnyDVD users.

Conclusion:

Following the forum's AnyDVD tutorial guide is leading to problems with menu and subtitle issues with PowerDVD Ultra. Also, AnyDVD's option to delete the "script file" can cause problems with some systems. If the HD-DVD is ripped to a "new folder", and not the AnyDVD created folder with the specific movie title in the Documents folder, issues with menu access and unwanted subtitles onscreen can arise.

If the HD-DVD is ripped to the AnyDVD created folder that is specific to the movie, no issues occur with menu access and unwanted subtitles. There is no need to edit the xpl file and remove the subtitles, as many AnyDVD users are doing, if the movie is ripped to the AnyDVD movie specific folder.

Additionallly, the deletion of the "script file" not only "loses all changes" but causes issues with menu access and unwanted subtitles during playback with some systems.

Ignoring Webslinger's AnyDVD tutorial guide is best advisable and simply checking all the available options on AnyDVD is the best option for users who experience the above-mentioned problems.

Sorry, Webslinger, but your link sucks :doh:
I don't experience any of the problems you're having and I've ripped around 100 blu-ray and hd-dvd's now, some letting it rip to it's own folder and some ripping to where I decide to put it. I think it's your system thats having the problem. It works 100% on all films in both formats on my Vista Home Premium, Vista Business and XP pro systems using powerdvd 7.3 2911

I don't experience any of the problems you're having and I've ripped around 100 blu-ray and hd-dvd's now, some letting it rip to it's own folder and some ripping to where I decide to put it. I think it's your system thats having the problem. It works 100% on all films in both formats on my Vista Home Premium, Vista Business and XP pro systems using powerdvd 7.3 2911

I have absolutely no problems with AnyDVD HD, PowerDVD 7.3 build 2911 and about 50 HD DVDs so far.

@flicker: you don't like the software, that's fine, don't use it, but try not to insult people on the board.

Webslinger doesn't even work for SlySoft.

You don't like his guide, write you own.

So how come so many people are having issues with subtitles and are having to edit the xpl file? (see the discussion on the board).

"sucks" is not harsh. A tutorial that contradicts the usual operating procedure of software is... I've wasted a lot of time over this. If there was accurate and simple instructions on how best to use AnyDVDHD, I wouldn't have.

And the tutorial is "forum approved" as it remains at the top always.

'sucks' is extremely harsh. Having just gone over and read the tutorial it's exactly the way I've always ripped mine. I think you need to go back and look at other stuff on your system to see what else could be causing you a problem and stop insulting other people just because you can't get it to work. I don't see how his tutorial is contradicting the correct usage of Anydvd, he's just using the standard way to rip the discs. Also it's such a simple and easy program to use I don't see how anyone needs a tutorial anyway

Last edited:
When you rip to HDD, AnyDVD automatically creates a folder specific to the movie with the duplicate xpl file in a duplicate Adv_Obj folder. A rip to this specific folder solved my subtitle and menu access issues. There's a strong possibility that most people who have subtitle issues (and there's a lot of postings on this forum about this) will find ripping to the movie specific folder will solve their problem, instead of rewriting the xpl file using "magic file replacement" tm.

The duplicate Adv_Obj folder is confusing, as is the duplicate xpl file. How is one supposed to know which file to alter?

And following the site-approved tutorial instructs one to create a new movie folder, and rip to that, instead of using the AnyDVD movie specific folder with the duplicate Adj_Obj folder - this not only adds to the cunfusion, but is clearly causing menu access and subtitle issues with many users.

And if you think the word "sucks" is very harsh... the rest of your life is going to be very hard for you.

I think you need to grow up.

I've been ripping Blu-ray and HD-dvd since before Anydvd HD came out so I know how these things work. And it makes no difference where you tell it to rip to as the script inside the xpl file doesn't look for a specific location. When it runs it automatically looks for the information inside the location where the files are located, so it makes no difference if it's on a disc or if you rip it into a folder or the root of the drive or even if you rip it and then change the folder name as it just takes it's root directory as the folder that the HVDVD_TS and ADV_OBJ folders are located in.

Try to see beyond yourself for one minute. We're not talking about you. We're talking about a problem I had, and a problem many other people have. I finally solved the problem - with no help from you, or James, or this forum. All you kept saying was my system had a problem. That is not the case. My system is HD capable. Playback from the HD drive is fully functioning. Playback from rips was not functioning. It is now functioning. The forum tutorial did not help me. It hindered me. It caused a problem with AnyDVD and I spent many hours trying to figure out what the problem was. I finally figured it out. With no help from you. I am simply trying to help other people that have a simnilar problem to me (and there are many) instead of them having to edit the xpl file. It may help them. It may not. You are of no consequence here (as your system has not experienced these problems).

I am grown up. However, you are acting like an hysterical schoolboy.

And according to Merriam-Webster dictionary "sucks" is not derogatory or insulting or "very harsh"... it is merely slang.

Sucks

4: slang : to be objectionable or inadequate <our lifestyle sucks -- Playboy> <people who went said it sucked -- H. S. Thompson>

Calling something inadequate when it isn't is derogatory and insulting. Just because it's slang doesn't stop it from being insulting. I've not seen very many posts on here where people have the problem, in fact there are very few and some of those found that with a newer version of powerdvd the problem was solved. If there were really that many then the forum would be inundated with people complaining, and not the 1 or 2 posts

And the Oxford English Dictionary defines it as
North American Slang - to be very bad or disagreeable.

When you rip to HDD, AnyDVD automatically creates a folder specific to the movie with the duplicate xpl file in a duplicate Adv_Obj folder. A rip to this specific folder solved my subtitle and menu access issues. There's a strong possibility that most people who have subtitle issues (and there's a lot of postings on this forum about this) will find ripping to the movie specific folder will solve their problem, instead of rewriting the xpl file using "magic file replacement" tm.

The duplicate Adv_Obj folder is confusing, as is the duplicate xpl file. How is one supposed to know which file to alter?

And following the site-approved tutorial instructs one to create a new movie folder, and rip to that, instead of using the AnyDVD movie specific folder with the duplicate Adj_Obj folder - this not only adds to the cunfusion, but is clearly causing menu access and subtitle issues with many users.

And if you think the word "sucks" is very harsh... the rest of your life is going to be very hard for you.
1.) *Never* rip to AnyDVD's temp directories, where it stores temp .xpl or .acl files .
2.) If you don't know how to edit .xpl files, then don't.

Back