• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DivX files won't let me delete them (v1.1.5.0)

justthedude

I have been creating DivX movies using CloneDVDMobile 1.1.5.0
Once created, about every 5th movie can not be moved or deleted.
The movie is "anchored" even after reboot.
Other movies in the folder are fine.
The "anchored' divx plays just fine.
I can right-click copy it, then paste it in a new location and the new version is not "anchored down"

i.e. the DivX file is 100% function....except I can't move or delete it (essentially a move to the trash)

The only way to delete the file is to move all the other movies out of the folder, then delete the folder. The movie then goes away without a fuss.

I have not had this issue with prior version. Anyone else seeing this problem?

I can right-click copy it, then paste it in a new location and the new version is not "anchored down"

i.e. the DivX file is 100% function....except I can't move or delete it (essentially a move to the trash)

The only way to delete the file is to move all the other movies out of the folder, then delete the folder. The movie then goes away without a fuss.

I have not had this issue with prior version. Anyone else seeing this problem?

There's a couple of suggestions:

You can delete from the command line (if you know how to use cmd).
Try changing the file's extension to something else and then deleting.

Here's a thread with some other detailed options:Google Groups

Thanks; while I grew up on command lines, I didn't think to try it.

I'm going to try the program "Unlocker;" it was in the excellent thread you suggested. I'll use that to see what's holding the file open or why it won't delete. It's very odd that the fully functional file will not delete (or move), but the folder holding the file will delete, taking the "stuck" file with it.

I'll monitor this post for a few days, see if anyone else reports it but me.

Last edited:

My guess would be that you played the files with some player before and this player was either left open of didn't exit correctly while keeping the files open (check the task manager for remainders of the process).

Windows Media Player has a tendency to hold on files even after they're stopped, until you select another one.

i remember this one from years back, didn't think it was still an issue (i've moved to linux).

it's something to do with windows not caching the thumbnail for the avi file, it keeps creating the thumbnail on-the-fly from the original file, so you can't delete it as the file is kept constantly open!

turn off previews (such as put explorer into "full details" mode) or use a command prompt.

its nothing to do with slysoft.

My guess would be that you played the files with some player before and this player was either left open of didn't exit correctly while keeping the files open (check the task manager for remainders of the process).

Windows Media Player has a tendency to hold on files even after they're stopped, until you select another one.
but surely not even after a pc reboot?

Yeah, WMP does suck that way, it messes with USB device ejections as well. But it occured even without running WMP, and as it states just above, I tried rebooting and it didn't fix it.

Norton Systemworks, a reboot disk check, and System Mechanic 6 did not find any problems with the registry or hard drive/file structure. Yet I can not move these files.

I made a new divx overnight, and of course it deleted just fine.

NOT TO DISTRACT from the main conversation, but as an aside, why does everyone quote entire conversations over and over? I thought the purpose of a quote was to highlight a specific point you're referring to, used only if you have a point. But on this board it appears the standard practice is to quote everyone in entirety. Is there a reason I'm missing, as I'm starting to ignore quotes.

Norton Systemworks, a reboot disk check, and System Mechanic 6 did not find any problems with the registry or hard drive/file structure. Yet I can not move these files.

Try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

download utilities "AccessChk" and "Handle"
Both can take the filename in question as a parameter.

AccessChk will tell you, what permissions you have on that file.
Handle will tell you who and what currently has that file open.

That should help you track down the source of the problem.

thanks a ton. having similar problems in vista ultimate with pics and movies not cutting/pasting or deleting, just freezes open win explorer window. guessed wmp, but wasnt sure. now i can find out.:D

i'm pretty sure i'm right, turn off the previews in windows explorer, by using list mode or full details mode, then you can delete the files.

not sure there ever was a *fix* for it though.

Back