• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

OK What am I missing?

Clams

I'm uilding a new machine ASUS P4P800-E. Keep getting 1 long 2 short beeps (then repeat) - AMI BIOS says that means bad or no video card. Tested it with 2 known good video cards. Same thing. Mobo New, Case and Supply New, CPU and Memory used - All from Ebay from different sellers with perfect feedback.

I tried removing the battery and resetting the CMOS. No help. Assume all connections and assembly are correct. This isn't the 1st machine I've built by a long shot and in fact is the 2nd P4P800-E I've built.

So what am I missing? I can try swppaing the CPU and memory from the other P4P800-E machine if that would really tell anything?? I thought the video card posts first - before all that though??

-W

i am having the EXACT same problem. unfortunately I can't help you out, but if you've already figured it out, please tell me how you fixed it!! if not I'll let you know when i fix mine, if i ever do....

I get the 1 long 2 short beeps only when I have no memory installed. when the p4p800-e has memory in it, nothing goes to the monitor. i have tried:

1. swapping with a brand new motherboard
  2. swapping with a brand new processor
  3. swapping with a brand new power supply
  4. swapping with a brand new case
  5. using different or brand new memory

someone help!!

Guys, check the spacing between the motherboard and the mounting plate, sounds like something grounding out. I don’t remember the exact tones but I had this happen and it was a long leg on a chip or a solder drip grounding to the case.

check motherboard jumpers

:D
I'm uilding a new machine ASUS P4P800-E. Keep getting 1 long 2 short beeps (then repeat) - AMI BIOS says that means bad or no video card. Tested it with 2 known good video cards. Same thing. Mobo New, Case and Supply New, CPU and Memory used - All from Ebay from different sellers with perfect feedback.

I tried removing the battery and resetting the CMOS. No help. Assume all connections and assembly are correct. This isn't the 1st machine I've built by a long shot and in fact is the 2nd P4P800-E I've built.

So what am I missing? I can try swppaing the CPU and memory from the other P4P800-E machine if that would really tell anything?? I thought the video card posts first - before all that though??

-W
CHECK THE MOTHERBOARD JUMPERS ARE SET CORRECTLY FOR CPU !!!!

The first thing i would try is removing the motherboard and laying it flat on a piece of cardboard or an anti static bag, then i would assemble the system while the motherboard is out of the case.

When you assemble the system out side of the case, assemble it one component at a time until you find what is causing the issue.

If the system powers up and posts ok then the problem is probably a grounding issue between the underside of the motherboard and the motherboard tray in the case.

Hope this helps!

d.chatten has the right idea, except using the anti-static bag. They can actually conduct static electricity. I always do my, and my customer's, builds outside the case.

Clams Canino: New parts, particularly from E-Bay, do not necessarily mean good parts. I would suggest swapping one part at a time. Asus MOBO's do have some issues with different brands of RAM so that would be my first swap.

1) Remove EVERYTHING from the case
2) Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
3) Install the CPU and heat sink.
4) Install 1 stick of RAM.
5) Install the video card and attach the power supply connection to the card if your card needs one.
6) Connect the monitor to the video card.
7) Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
8) Connect power to the power supply.
9) Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
10) Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

I'll try some stuff tomorrow.... thanks

-W

did you install another video card

Did you install another video card on top of the preloaded motherboard video card???

Correct Joe...
I got to the bottom of this yesterday. It was indeed a memory incompatibility issue. So now I have 2G of PC3200 400mhz DDR that I can't use. <sigh>

-W

CRH0872 - Did you try swapping the video card?? Also be SURE your memory is compatible. Seems the P4P800E is very picky. -W

Correct Joe...
I got to the bottom of this yesterday. It was indeed a memory incompatibility issue. So now I have 2G of PC3200 400mhz DDR that I can't use. <sigh>

-W

Glad you got it worked out. Many Asus MOBO's are picky about RAM and particularly mixing different brands of RAM. I always use Corsair in my builds as it seems to get along with every MOBO and chipset.

Back