• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backed up dvd wont run

weepus

A sony disk "the last action hero".
I have 2 DVD burners, one external, the other internal.

I tried the external, it burns all the way to the end, and died at 99% complete write with a CRC error.

I try the internal, it completes without a problem, but the backup is completely unreadable and locks up the PC is you try and read it.

The DVD player at the TV does not read it either.

Any clues?

Any clues?

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250

3. Try lowering your burn speed a little (if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x or 8x instead of 16x)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Try setting a custom size of 4300 in whatever burning program you're using (but if you're using good media, you shouldn't have to) if you're using regular single layer dvd-5 (4.7GB) discs.

7. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

thanks for the replies.

The disk type is MEmorex DVD+R's, i've use 1/2 of this 50 disk spindle with no problems.. this burn has cost me about 6 disks now.. I'm confident its not the blanks.

I have an IOMEGA dvd+R burner. The attempt to change the booktype per the instructions was 1: all greyed out so I dl'ed the 2nd program which asked me to identify the "OEM" and change the booktype of the burner. However, IOMEGA does not OEM that I know of and it was not listed as a manufacture so I could not change the booktype.. back at square one.

any clues?

Oh, PS.. i was using 12x speed.. the disks are rated for 16x. i've used 2x also, no difference.

One other possibility, if you use Roxio software to burn your DVD and use the software wizard, it defaults to UDF 1.50 (maybe other burning software too) which is incompatible with some standalone players. If you’re using Roxio’s Easy CD&DVD, manually configure to UDF 1.02 file format and your DVD should play in all standalone players.

thanks for the replies.

The disk type is MEmorex DVD+R's, i've use 1/2 of this 50 disk spindle with no problems.. this burn has cost me about 6 disks now.. I'm confident its not the blanks.

I have an IOMEGA dvd+R burner. The attempt to change the booktype per the instructions was 1: all greyed out so I dl'ed the 2nd program which asked me to identify the "OEM" and change the booktype of the burner. However, IOMEGA does not OEM that I know of and it was not listed as a manufacture so I could not change the booktype.. back at square one.

any clues?

Oh, PS.. i was using 12x speed.. the disks are rated for 16x. i've used 2x also, no difference.

When I said a "bad disc" I was referring to the original movie disc but Memorex always falls into the bad disc category also. If you been using Maxell, give those copies a couple of years and they will most likely be unplayable.

There is no way to put this delicately. You are wrong.

So true. I bought a 100 pack of Memorex DVD+R (don't ask why I don't know) and not one is playable even if it does complete a burn. Buy new media and forget about your Memorex discs.

Try DVD-R's

It sounds like to me You burner likes DVD-R's Sony's are best...:D

Like Webslinger said use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality. This is a very important issue people seem to miss.

Memorex blanks again... you could as well use beer coasters for burning.

switched to Maxell 120 min video 4.7 gig data (DVD +R) 1 - 8 speed disks.
single sided "video/data media".

Same results.

It reads the whole disk.. asks for a blank.
Writes about 3/4's of the disk and CRC's.

what else can be going on? you still think its media? Im at a total loss here.
Happening with other DVD's now.. not just that one.. Dam it man..

tried again... odd that at 68% completed burn it reports 2 minutes remaining. I'm pretty sure it would take more then 2 min. to burn 32% expecially at 8x speed.

Do you suggest going out and buying all new disks at this point?
Is there some way to test my burner or my disks prior to burning the dvd backup?

Last edited:
weepus said:
.....you still think its media?
@ weepus,

Suggest closely reviewing Forum Moderator Webslinger #3 posting in this thread.

Specifically note the comments concerning the use of known proven quality blank DVD Media and updating your DVD Burner Firmware with the latest most current up to date firmware. In your postings in this thread there is no indication that you have heeded either of these pertinent suggestions.

The two blank DVD Media you mention (Memorex/ Maxell) are not known to be quality blank DVD Media. As suggested use blank DVD Media that is proven quality Media that consistently produces quality error free results such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.
weepus said:
.....Writes about 3/4's of the disk and CRC's…..Happening with other DVD's now…..
Your above quoted statements are confusing. Confirm exactly what is occurring. Are you receiving the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error notification when you are Writing/Burning data to blank DVD Media? or are you receiving the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error notification when you are Reading the data from the original Commercial DVD Movie disk?

It is important to fully and thoroughly confirm exactly when you are receiving the Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) error notification to effetely troubleshoot your problem.

Regards,
Coaster

Last edited:
CRC's only occur during writing. sorry bout that.
so far, i've only been talking about errors that occur during writing.

I didnt post that i went to iomega site, and no updates for this model.
I have posted to the iomega support users forum for help in regards to any news on a firmware update.. they have no support anymore it seems.. but i'm trying the forums.

I've tried the "step 4" and asked for help with that one, changing the booktype but no one has replied to that one yet.

I changed my media to maxell's from memorex but i guess these maxell are not japan made so i'll buy some that are of the type you have pointed out.

Thanks again for your persistance and patince.(sp?).
Chris
\
PS. i ran the nero CD/DVD speed test.. and it scanned the disk that AnyDVD / CloneDVD2 reported with CRC error. It was 100% good. Nothing bad on it.

Does this indicate still bad media, just that nero cant detect whats bad about it?

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones help.

the answer had nothing to do with the Media, i am still using the media I had when i started this thread.

AnyDVD did an upgrade/update.. my problems ALL WENT AWAY. I'm back burning with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL..

So, for all those out there, who beat the "MEDIA" drum to death.. sometimes just sometimes.. there really are problems to address and not just stupid Noobs who cant read the suggested FAQ's.

Thanks for everyones help.

the answer had nothing to do with the Media, i am still using the media I had when i started this thread.

AnyDVD did an upgrade/update.. my problems ALL WENT AWAY. I'm back burning with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL..

So, for all those out there, who beat the "MEDIA" drum to death.. sometimes just sometimes.. there really are problems to address and not just stupid Noobs who cant read the suggested FAQ's.

As Anydvd doesn't burn, an Anydvd update had absolutely no impact on your success; Anydvd versions would not cause crc errors during writing at 99% completion. Bad quality blank media can vary in results from disc to disc, even within the same spindle. With good blank media you can play "find the bad blank" game. With inferior quality blank media you get to play "find the blank that works" game (and this is the game that you have been playing). And even when inferior blank media does work, you can play the "will my backups still play after 6 months (or even after two years)" game.

So you found some that worked amongst those blanks that didn't.

You use Memorex and regular Maxell blank media. Avoid

Last edited:
@ weepus,

Forum Member Webslinger comments in posting #17 are totally on the mark.

Just keep on using your beloved Memorex and Maxwell Media and in the future two things WILL happen ->

1. In the future your previously recorded Memorex/Maxwell BackUp copies will become unplayable.

2. You will be returning to the Forum complaining that you are unable to make BacKUp copies that play properly in you DVD Players.

Regards,
Coaster

6.3.1.2 problem

I've been burning for a long time and i can usually figure stuff out but with this new version the backed up dvd's just will not do anything in the dvd player or in the laptop dvd driver.

no disk in drive is what its reporting.. yet it does read the original disk and burns with out error and ejects the completed back up. That back up just does not do anything in any drive. No errors at all are reported.

I've burned different titles, and used several different dvd blanks. (all which have been working up to this point).

anyone else having this problem?

michael Wheeler

but with this new version the backed up dvd's just will not do anything in the dvd player or in the laptop dvd driver.

Since Anydvd doesn't burn, this isn't an Anydvd issue. The problem
you're having has nothing to do with the Anydvd version you're using.
And, in fact, you were having this problem before.

Please stop creating new threads about the exact same thing; use your existing thread.

1) a)State the specific version(s) of the burning application(s) you are using (and stating "latest versions" isn't sufficient information; use full version numbers), and b)the specific version(s) of whatever other burning application(s) you have installed on your system.

2) What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

3) At what speed are you burning your blank media?

4) a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

Last edited:
Back