• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD Ultra upgrade discount? *gasp*

DrinkLyeAndDie

Retired Moderator
Yes, amazingly enough, CyberLink has finally [partially] pulled their head out of their collective ***es. Existing PowerDVD 7 Deluxe owners should receive an email offering you an upgrade to PowerDVD Ultra for a 40 USD discount resulting in a final cost of 59.95 USD

Visit the CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra Upgrade page.

Note: There are also upgrades from PowerDVD 6 and PowerDVD 7 Max/Standard/Bundled at a cost of 79.95 USD.

Last edited:
Figures...NOW they do that.

I see a few possible factors involved

(1) Sony is temporarily dropping the price of the 60 gig PS3 in North America by 100 USD to flush them off the store shelves so they can release a version with a larger HDD. Now doesn't directly impact CyberLink but the HD market is affected.
(2) Microsoft has temporarily dropped the price of the Xbox HD-DVD drive by 20 USD [to 179 USD] plus 5 free HD-DVD titles. This will help the HD-DVD format, IMO. This does directly impact CyberLink. Personally, I think the price of the drive will continue to go down a bit because standalone HD-DVD players have to drop in price soon and there's no excuse to not drop the price of the Xbox drive.

CyberLink has made a bit of money off early adopters. It's time to drop the price. Yeah, it should have been earlier and there is no doubt about that. I still don't haven't gotten around to getting an HD-DVD drive but I'm almost tempted to purchase the upgrade while I have the chance.

I see a few possible factors involved

(1) Sony is temporarily dropping the price of the 60 gig PS3 in North America by 100 USD to flush them off the store shelves so they can release a version with a larger HDD. Now doesn't directly impact CyberLink but the HD market is affected.

That's how I got my bluray support. :D The PS3 is a freaking nice machine. I'm highly impressed with it even if I do still hate Sony for the past few years of nonsense. The PS has always been my one of my favorite consoles. The xbox shocked me and the 360 quickly became my new favorite console when I got it. However, the PS3 is a sweet little machine.

(2) Microsoft has temporarily dropped the price of the Xbox HD-DVD drive by 20 USD [to 179 USD] plus 5 free HD-DVD titles. This will help the HD-DVD format, IMO. This does directly impact CyberLink. Personally, I think the price of the drive will continue to go down a bit because standalone HD-DVD players have to drop in price soon and there's no excuse to not drop the price of the Xbox drive.

Sure, rub it in even more that I paid too much for the drive! :D I got it for my b-day and I gotta admit HD DVD looks great on my TV using that thing. However, BluRay on the PS3 is no slouch. ;) I'll be getting 300 on HD DVD, though, as there are FAR more special features than on BluRay. Now that I have both, I don't really care which format "wins"...I'll simply buy everything I can on HD DVD and get BluRay when there's no other choice. In any case, at 179 the drive is a great deal.

CyberLink has made a bit of money off early adopters. It's time to drop the price. Yeah, it should have been earlier and there is no doubt about that. I still don't haven't gotten around to getting an HD-DVD drive but I'm almost tempted to purchase the upgrade while I have the chance.

Cyberlink has ripped off early adopters is more like it. I still don't like PowerDVD Ultra. At all. They have a LONG way to go before I'm a happy customer. As a previous PowerDVD owner, I would have thought a discount for us at the beginning would have spurred more sales and kept people loyal. Now I'm just plain p!$$ed.

New Egg.. Ultra for $72 bucks downloaded... no previous ownership necessary.

:)

Back