• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I've tried everything else

mrnicguy

I've been a longtime user of ANYDVDHD for backing up my DVD collection (have Grand Kids), and have had not problems at all ripping and using DVDSHRINK to create a standard DVD disc. Recently I purchased CLONEBD in the hopes of doing the same with Blu rays. However I have been totally unsuccessful in the creation of even a single burnable file. I've tried simply creating a 1 to 1 copy of the ISO. a BD25 etc. I've tried ripping with ANYDVDHD to a file and shrinking or copying that.
NOTHING works so far. I bought the lifetime updates, so I figure the "bugs" will eventually be worked out: however, just to be on the safe side. Perhaps it's a HARDWARE issue. I build my own systems and have tried this on both highend AMD and Intel processors and MOBOs. Perhaps somebody who has been successful in creating usable BD ISOs' could let me in on their secrets.? Thanks jim

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a longtime user of ANYDVDHD for backing up my DVD collection (have Grand Kids), and have had not problems at all ripping and using DVDSHRINK to create a standard DVD disc. Recently I purchased CLONEBD in the hopes of doing the same with Blu rays. However I have been totally unsuccessful in the creation of even a single burnable file. I've tried simply creating a 1 to 1 copy of the ISO. a BD25 etc. I've tried ripping with ANYDVDHD to a file and shrinking or copying that.
NOTHING works so far. I bought the lifetime updates, so I figure the "bugs" will eventually be worked out: however, just to be on the safe side. Perhaps it's a HARDWARE issue. I build my own systems and have tried this on both highend AMD and Intel processors and MOBOs. Perhaps somebody who has been successful in creating usable BD ISOs' could let me in on their secrets.? Thanks jim

There are some problems, but a lot of people are using it successfully. Are you using 1.0.2.7? Reading through the CloneBD forum and posting logs would get you the best specific answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some problems, but a lot of people are using it successfully. Are you using 1.0.2.7? Reading through the CloneBD forum and posting logs would get you the best specific answers.

Thanks, I've been browsing the CLONEBD forums to see if I was doing something wrong..............so far I've followed the directions pretty well........I've sent in quite a few "bug reports"...........As I mentioned earlier I've not been successful even once, so far. Thought I would check to see if HARDWARE may be a problem.........No luck here either, but I'll keep trying. Yes using the latest release.

You did not mention that you have upgraded to th HDversion of AnyDVD? You will need that to work with blurays.

A new version will be coming soon. Thank you for your patience.

...........I've tried simply creating a 1 to 1 copy of the ISO. a BD25 etc. I've tried ripping with ANYDVDHD to a file and shrinking or copying that............

There are two general approaches to making a back-up Blu-ray disk.

1) If you want to stay with 25GB media, you'll have to rip (using AnyDVD HD) and compress using a tool like CLONEBD. Some of the features for CloneBD aren't quite there yet, so as mentioned, try out the next version which will be improved over the existing version. Alternately, you can use other tools for compression. This doesn't give you a 1:1 back-up although the video quality can be very good.

2) To make a true 1:1 back-up, you'll need 50GB BD-R media for most Blu-rays. Some will fit without compression on a 25GB disk, but most exceed this size. I use the "rip to ISO" feature of AnyDVD HD (right click on quick launch tray icon), saving the ISO to my hard drive. After that is completed (about 30-40 minutes), I remove the source disk and insert my 50GB BD-R, and launch ImgBurn, using its "Write Image File to Disk" tool. You cannot just copy the ISO to a disk and expect it to work.

See if that works for you.

One note. If you choose to get ImgBurn (assuming you don't already have it), do a custom install and uncheck the adware options. Otherwise they will be installed with the normal install. I am not advocating Imgburn - just mentioning it as an option. It will not shrink files (which CloneBD will do) so if you want the feature on 25GB media consider an alternate which includes shrinking.

In either case, AnyDVD HD is the first step to creating an image file, and it has worked for anything I've thrown at it so far.

Last edited:

1) If you want to stay with 25GB media, you'll have to rip (using AnyDVD HD)

No u don't, u don't have to rip. CloneBD works just fine straight from the disc. That's the beauty of anydvd, if all works on the fly without the need for ripping. However processing directly from drive is not recommend because of the wear & tear on the disc & drive and heat generation.

It is church though that the recommend bd rip method is to ISO.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

No u don't, u don't have to rip. CloneBD works just fine straight from the disc. That's the beauty of anydvd, if all works on the fly without the need for ripping. However processing directly from drive is not recommend because of the wear & tear on the disc & drive and heat generation.

It is church though that the recommend bd rip method is to ISO.

I'm not quite with you when you say "CloneBD works just fine straight from the disc":confused:

Unless you have dual drives, you have to rip first and then replace that disk with a blank and burn. CloneBD would be used (with AnyDVD HD) to rip and compress a disk, but CloneBD can't be used alone for ripping unless the disk is unencrypted, right?

I didn't mean to say you have to establish a hard drive file before CloneBD can be used, if that's what you're referring to. Maybe I'm wrong to say AnyDVD HD is used for "ripping", but it can function in that capacity by itself for the creation of image files from BDs, and it can also be used in combination with CloneBD to directly obtain a compressed file, both processes which appear to me as "ripping".

I'm not quite with you when you say "CloneBD works just fine straight from the disc":confused:

Unless you have dual drives, you have to rip first and then replace that disk with a blank and burn.

No, u don't have to rip first, u don't have to with clonedvd either. CloneBD processes the disc, and when it's time to burn, ejects the disc (like clonedvd does too) and proceeds to burn (as clonedvd does).

CloneBD can load iso's, work straight from the drive (real one or virtual), or folder rip.

CloneBD would be used (with AnyDVD HD) to rip and compress a disk, but CloneBD can't be used alone for ripping unless the disk is unencrypted, right?

Correct, cloneBD needs a decrypted source but it doesn't have to be a rip. Straight from the disc works too.

I didn't mean to say you have to establish a hard drive file before CloneBD can be used, if that's what you're referring to. Maybe I'm wrong to say AnyDVD HD is used for "ripping", but it can function in that capacity by itself for the creation of image files from BDs, and it can also be used in combination with CloneBD to directly obtain a compressed file, both processes which appear to me as "ripping".

When copying through anydvd from the disc TO HDD without processing further that is what ripping is. CloneBD processes the source to bd25 or whatever your target is. That's not ripping, that's transcoding.

Technically it can 'rip' in the true sense of the word like anydvd can if you select the target to be a BD50. That way the files also just get copied, but for trial versions it will still process the video to apply the watermark. For licensed versions it will not apply the watermark and just copy the files like anydvd does.

I'm with you now.

I don't have either one of those products (CloneDVD or CloneBD), but plan to get CloneBD when it's a little more developed. Good features and it's great that you're listing some of them here. One thing SlySoft is a little "soft" on is a full feature description of their products with some explanations of what they do (at least I couldn't find a link). I've learned more about their products through this forum than elsewhere.

Thank's for the details and clearing that up.

1) If you want to stay with 25GB media, you'll have to rip (using AnyDVD HD) and compress using a tool like CLONEBD. Some of the features for CloneBD aren't quite there yet, so as mentioned, try out the next version which will be improved over the existing version. Alternately, you can use other tools for compression. This doesn't give you a 1:1 back-up although the video quality can be very good.

2) To make a true 1:1 back-up, you'll need 50GB BD-R media for most Blu-rays. Some will fit without compression on a 25GB disk, but most exceed this size. I use the "rip to ISO" feature of AnyDVD HD (right click on quick launch tray icon), saving the ISO to my hard drive. After that is completed (about 30-40 minutes), I remove the source disk and insert my 50GB BD-R, and launch ImgBurn, using its "Write Image File to Disk" tool. You cannot just copy the ISO to a disk and expect it to work.

See if that works for you.

One note. If you choose to get ImgBurn (assuming you don't already have it), do a custom install and uncheck the adware options. Otherwise they will be installed with the normal install. I am not advocating Imgburn - just mentioning it as an option. It will not shrink files (which CloneBD will do) so if you want the feature on 25GB media consider an alternate which includes shrinking.

In either case, AnyDVD HD is the first step to creating an image file, and it has worked for anything I've thrown at it so far.

Thank you for recommending ImgBurn. I guess CloneBD doesn't work for copying or burning to a disc yet?? Anyways I was able to burn my first blu-ray through ImgBurn.

Thank you for recommending ImgBurn. I guess CloneBD doesn't work for copying or burning to a disc yet?? Anyways I was able to burn my first blu-ray through ImgBurn.

Glad you got that to go, but if you want to burn a reduced size BD or re-author the disk, you'll have to find something to handle that. I, personally stick with 1:1 and 50GB disks to maintain the highest picture quality for large screen projection, but many desire to reduce the data to fit a 25GB disk which cuts the per disk cost and gets around trying to find 50GB media. At some point, I will look into CloneBD just for the re-authoring ability to get rid of the junk that shows up on a typical disk nowadays.

I can't imagine that CloneBD wouldn't be able to burn similarly to ImgBurn. It may be something in your install or settings. I would check with the CloneBD forum here and see if you can resolve the problem, just in case you want incorporate its features.

Anyway, you at least have the capability for 1:1 burns now.:rock:

Glad you got that to go, but if you want to burn a reduced size BD or re-author the disk, you'll have to find something to handle that. I, personally stick with 1:1 and 50GB disks to maintain the highest picture quality for large screen projection, but many desire to reduce the data to fit a 25GB disk which cuts the per disk cost and gets around trying to find 50GB media. At some point, I will look into CloneBD just for the re-authoring ability to get rid of the junk that shows up on a typical disk nowadays.

I can't imagine that CloneBD wouldn't be able to burn similarly to ImgBurn. It may be something in your install or settings. I would check with the CloneBD forum here and see if you can resolve the problem, just in case you want incorporate its features.

Anyway, you at least have the capability for 1:1 burns now.:rock:

Thanks for the help! =) I I definitely want the highest quality so I bought 50 GB discs. What is 1:1? What should I do to make sure that I burn the highest quality blu-ray possible?

Thanks for the help! =) I I definitely want the highest quality so I bought 50 GB discs. What is 1:1? What should I do to make sure that I burn the highest quality blu-ray possible?

1:1 (a compression ratio) means that you made an exact duplicate of the original without any data compression, which yields the highest quality video. You are doing that by ripping an ISO and then making a disk from that ISO using ImgBurn. CloneBD could benefit you here (help me with this CloneBD experts) in that you could remove things from the copy like trailers, warnings, etc., and get still a 1:1 transfer of the original feature by specifying "no compression" for the main feature (you'd still probably need 50GB disks). ImgBurn creates a disk from the ISO which is essentially identical to the original (trailers and all). CloneBD can also be used to compress the data in a feature so it will fit a smaller container (a 25GB disk). That relies on data which is somewhat redundant in a digital video file. Reducing the file size will have a visual effect on the picture, but because of the way we see video, you may or may not see those effects. Generally, if the picture is viewed on a larger display, those effects become more visible or noticeable. Making a 1:1 back-up retains all the quality of the original.

Last edited:
1:1 (a compression ratio) means that you made an exact duplicate of the original without any data compression, which yields the highest quality video. You are doing that by ripping an ISO and then making a disk from that ISO using ImgBurn. CloneBD could benefit you here (help me with this CloneBD experts) in that you could remove things from the copy like trailers, warnings, etc., and get still a 1:1 transfer of the original feature by specifying "no compression" for the main feature (you'd still probably need 50GB disks). ImgBurn creates a disk from the ISO which is essentially identical to the original (trailers and all). CloneBD can also be used to compress the data in a feature so it will fit a smaller container (a 25GB disk). That relies on data which is somewhat redundant in a digital video file. Reducing the file size will have a visual effect on the picture, but because of the way we see video, you may or may not see those effects. Generally, if the picture is viewed on a larger display, those effects become more visible or noticeable. Making a 1:1 back-up retains all the quality of the original.

Ah I see, I believe I am burning the best quality then. I use CloneBD to create an ISO with the main feature and nothing else then I use ImgBurn to burn the ISO onto a 50gb disc. I don't use CloneBD to burn the movie because it doesn't work for me. I have only burned 3 movies but so far the main feature ends up being 26-28GB. I don't understand why they even make 25gb discs since it compresses the data and could potentially lower the quality of the movie. For someone who likes quality that would bug me a lot.

Ah I see, I believe I am burning the best quality then.

As long as you're selecting no compression (1:1) for the main feature.

I have only burned 3 movies but so far the main feature ends up being 26-28GB.

That sound's about typical for a non-compressed total file size though it will vary. There are a few disks out there which will fall under the 25GB value and you can use the smaller (and lower cost) 25GB disks for those (this also applies to your next point).

I don't understand why they even make 25gb discs since it compresses the data and could potentially lower the quality of the movie. For someone who likes quality that would bug me a lot.

The way digital video is encoded allows for a gradual introduction of more and more picture "defects" as the compression ratio increases. The way it was designed makes these "defects" subjectively less noticeable than important image features. On smaller screen displays, it may be totally impossible to see any noticeable difference between a compressed file and one that was transferred without compression (depending on the compression ratio).

A lot of users choose to compress to save on expenses due to the higher cost of 50GB disks. Also, at one time, 50GB disks were hard to come by without importing them, and then there were quality issues. (The latter statement doesn't much apply anymore.)

You might try some compression on a test disk just to see if you can spot the differences. Compare it to a non-compressed disk with small and large screens, if possible (the large screen will be less forgiving). Be sure to include some fast action because many of the defects show up when the image changes rapidly in the form of pixelation and blocking. You'll find it surprising what you don't see.

Last edited:
Back