• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD+ has Blu-ray copy protection layer approved

Also visit http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070620-blu-ray-content-protection-agency-certifies-bd.html

"According to the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), for hackers to successfully attack the BD+ system they would have to first extract the AACS keys (which has already been done quite successfully) and then overcome title-specific security code by reverse-engineering the BD+ virtual machine. While this last bit is definitely an additional challenge, it is by no means impossible.

The announcement of the BD+ spec means that some studios that have been holding off on releasing high-definition content may now be more willing to release titles: it was rumored that Fox Studios had been delaying titles because of the previous AACS cracks. The availability of more titles on Blu-ray than HD DVD (since the latter does not support BD+) could swing the format wars even farther in Blu-ray's direction, especially when combined with events such as the Blockbuster announcement. "

Last edited:
visit http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/BD-has-Blu-ray-copy-protection-layer-approved_.html

“BD+ will be the proverbial thorn in the side of Blu-ray movie rippers,” said optical storage analyst Wesley Novack. “With AACS and BD+ switching up encryption keys and methods routinely (BD+), it might become too much work to determine how to rip every Blu-ray Disc title out there.”"

Now I understand why the price of Blu-ray players has come down so slowly. They're probably going to have to recall all of them because of consumer complaints when they don't work.

Another thing, if they distribute firmware update discs, someone will decrypt them and have access to the new code. It would make more sense to distribute regular updates on the actual movie discs.

It's going to be a wonderful cat and mouse game!

It would be infinitely wiser not to inflict the consumer with this nonsense at all.

“BD+ will be the proverbial thorn in the side of Blu-ray movie rippers,” said optical storage analyst Wesley Novack. “With AACS and BD+ switching up encryption keys and methods routinely (BD+), it might become too much work to determine how to rip every Blu-ray Disc title out there.”"

What a bunch of marketing crap. It's just code. A player has to be able to read this BD+ code into its memory and execute it in order to decrypt a particular disc. Yes, each disc can have different code and keys to execute, but, the same method of execution is done each time regardless of what the implementation is. I don't know the specifics of how BD+ works, but, for the sake of argument, let's try this:

1> User inserts BD+ enabled disc into player
(I'm not sure about order on this next part but it's not overly relevant to this discussion)
2> Player performs AACS decryption
3> Player loads some executable code stored on the disc into a virtual machine and executes it
4> Player displays movie

Ok, VERY simplified view of the world I'll grant you. Step 2 is already taken care of by AnyDVD HD. Step 3 is the "tough" part...the new wrinkle in the design, as it were. The code and keys that the player executes will be unique for that particular disc. That makes it rather difficult to find a "universal key extraction" technique like they've done for AACS. Well, that's it, then, right? Game over? Well....not quite. Every player is going to have to be able to play that disc. As such, the code that decrypts the disc must run on every player's implementation of the virtual machine. Ding ding ding. I sense a winner. I'm not saying this would be EASY by any means, but, essentially what you could do is find a way to emulate the virtual machine so that you essentially execute the BD+ decryption routines in your own virtual machine...that gives you control over the process.

Is this going to be easy? No. Is it going to take time? Most definitely. Is it possible? You betchya. There are certain aspects that will make this infinitely easier but I won't get into them in this post for various reasons. If my guess on the theoretical "shortcut" to attack is correct, then the Slysoft guys will have this cracked within days of it being released if not days before it's ever seen in the wild. Again, not going into how that could be possible. :) But rest assured, there are ways to attack this problem that are actually feasible.

What I don't like in this entire situation is that BD+ is positioned as "secure against hackers".

While it's not true, those smart movie executives might just buy it (again).

I'd rather see HD DVD releases taking over this "blue" stuff.

Microsoft antitrust suit

I'd rather see HD DVD releases taking over this "blue" stuff.

This is why I think Microsoft should be bombarded with requests asking them to enter into an antitrust suit against the movie studios to require them to release movies on both formats.

This is why I think Microsoft should be bombarded with requests asking them to enter into an antitrust suit against the movie studios to require them to release movies on both formats.

MS has enough lawsuits to take care of. Mostly against them.

Unless they aquire the major movie studio, they will not do it.

Looks like the "blue" is ahead in this war. Too bad.

If my guess on the theoretical "shortcut" to attack is correct, then the Slysoft guys will have this cracked within days of it being released if not days before it's ever seen in the wild. Again, not going into how that could be possible.

Whenever I think I have a bright idea and feel that it will be eating me up if I don't share it with someone else, but just can't go public with it, I resort to PMs. ;)

Whenever I think I have a bright idea and feel that it will be eating me up if I don't share it with someone else, but just can't go public with it, I resort to PMs. ;)

I'll PM it to you, but, I have a feeling you bright boys already know what I'm thinking. ;)

So- any news on this? When will see the first releases with it?

I wrote an email to Cyberlink because I wanted to know if I have to update Power DVD Ultra 7.3 again to be able to watch BD+ protected Bds, but today I recieved an email from the support, that this version of PowerDVD already supports BD+.Perhaps it helps you......

Awww....!!! Come on! I want to see it cracked! When will the first BD+ titles be released? :)

Bump- any news on when the first bd+ titles will be out?

No official dates or titles have been mentioned yet but when FOX returns in Q4, all their titles (apparently 50 or so titles) will have it.

F

Back