• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Star Wars DL not playing

Old Bear

I have a new Toshiba laptop, Windows 8.1, using an Asus external USB 2.0 portable Blu-ray burner. I just received a pack of Verbatim SL and a pack of DL discs. I have burned a couple of single layer Blu-rays and they worked fine. I started on the big project of burning the Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-ray set. I burned the first disc in DL and put in in the player. The menu came up, I selected Play, the 20th Century logo came up, and then the player spit the disc out! I used the menu to select another portion of the movie, but still no playing. I tried a second player, and the movie wouldn't play on it either. It will however, play on the computer using VLC. As these discs are not exactly cheap, I'm trying to keep the testing to a minimum, so I'm asking for opinions. Has anyone already copied this Star Wars set so that I know it isn't something weird about the discs? Or is my burner failing? Or something that I haven't thought about? Thoughts, suggestions?

I have a new Toshiba laptop, Windows 8.1, using an Asus external USB 2.0 portable Blu-ray burner. I just received a pack of Verbatim SL and a pack of DL discs. I have burned a couple of single layer Blu-rays and they worked fine. I started on the big project of burning the Star Wars The Complete Saga Blu-ray set. I burned the first disc in DL and put in in the player. The menu came up, I selected Play, the 20th Century logo came up, and then the player spit the disc out! I used the menu to select another portion of the movie, but still no playing. I tried a second player, and the movie wouldn't play on it either. It will however, play on the computer using VLC. As these discs are not exactly cheap, I'm trying to keep the testing to a minimum, so I'm asking for opinions. Has anyone already copied this Star Wars set so that I know it isn't something weird about the discs? Or is my burner failing? Or something that I haven't thought about? Thoughts, suggestions?

No way to tell if it's a disc problem unless you post an AnyDVD log of one of the problem discs. It would be worth your while to invest in a BD-RE DL to test with so you don't waste discs.

No way to tell if it's a disc problem unless you post an AnyDVD log of one of the problem discs. It would be worth your while to invest in a BD-RE DL to test with so you don't waste discs.
That is on my "to do" list. If burning the disc resulted in no errors, what would a log file show? And I'll go ahead and ask, exactly how is the preferred method of generating a log file for something such as this? Ah, it's never easy!

That is on my "to do" list. If burning the disc resulted in no errors, what would a log file show? And I'll go ahead and ask, exactly how is the preferred method of generating a log file for something such as this? Ah, it's never easy!

An AnyDVD log is easy:
a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your system tray.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.ziplog" (or something similar; see step f)
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like (in other words, look for the paperclip after clicking "quote" or when creating a new thread)
i) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .ziplog file you created.
l) click "upload"
m) Close the window. When you submit reply, or submit a new thread, the .zipped file will be attached automatically for us to take a look at

Okay, got the log file, now let's see if I can manage to attach it!

That looks like a copy. If you suspect there is a problem with AnyDVD, the developers need to see a log from the original disc to see if AnyDVD is working properly or not.

That looks like a copy. If you suspect there is a problem with AnyDVD, the developers need to see a log from the original disc to see if AnyDVD is working properly or not.
All I know is that something isn't working, I'm not assuming anything. Personally, I'm leaning toward it being time to purchase a new burner, but that is mostly guess-work. I have attached the log file for the original disc now. I'm simply trying to not waste money replacing stuff that is actually okay. The only thing left I can do without spending quite a bit more is to make a DL copy of a totally different Blu-ray (not out of that set) and see if it works.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.5.5.0_Info_E_THE_PHANTOM_MENACE-Original.ziplog
    809.2 KB · Views: 3
Need to set this first to see what problems you really have....backinup

Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Here's how:

1. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
2. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
3. Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
4. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
5. Click "properties".
6. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
7. Select the region that you're in
8. Start Anydvd

Last edited:
Need to set this first to see what problems you really have....backinup
No he doesn't. Drive region setting has no effect on Blu-rays' it's only used on DVD's.

If you are doing straight 1 to 1 DL Blu-ray to BD-R DL I see no need to use CloneBD as it will re-encode the video. You could just rip the disc to an image with AnyDVD running to remove protection then use Imgburn to burn that back to a DL BD-R disc. I'd try setting the burn speed to something slower than it is using under automatic, and although James has said in the past that he sees no point in getting Imgburn to verify the disc I've found that by letting it verify you find out straight away if there's a burn failure which usually occurs at the layer break'

As to the one you've already made, try ripping that back to the harddrive and see if you get any read errors. DL BD-R's are not as reliable as SL BD-R's,

Last edited:
Image Burn

No he doesn't. Drive region setting has no effect on Blu-rays' it's only used on DVD's.

If you are doing straight 1 to 1 DL Blu-ray to BD-R DL I see no need to use CloneBD as it will re-encode the video. You could just rip the disc to an image with AnyDVD running to remove protection then use Imgburn to burn that back to a DL BD-R disc. I'd try setting the burn speed to something slower than it is using under automatic, and although James has said in the past that he sees no point in getting Imgburn to verify the disc I've found that by letting it verify you find out straight away if there's a burn failure which usually occurs at the layer break'

As to the one you've already made, try ripping that back to the harddrive and see if you get any read errors. DL BD-R's are not as reliable as SL BD-R's,

Hello, I am new here and I have a quick question, with regards to the above post, if I am making a 1:1 backup copy and then use imageburn to copy it to the DL BD, when ripping using anydvdHD, do you recommend I leave the copy protection on or off? Thank you for your help in advance.

If you want to be able to play the copy on a settop box then you need to remove protection

For anyone that cares to know, I ended up replacing both my burner and my player. Following the previous suggestion for not bothering with CloneBD for exact copies by only using AnyDVD and ImgBurn, I now have the six movies copied. I will have to redo #3, as when I burned it at max speed 6X, some portions of the movie were choppy, sound was off. Close enough. I will start a new thread with the new issue now!

Hello, I am new here and I have a quick question, with regards to the above post, if I am making a 1:1 backup copy and then use imageburn to copy it to the DL BD, when ripping using anydvdHD, do you recommend I leave the copy protection on or off? Thank you for your help in advance.

My advice remove the protection regardless of DVD or BD.....it's when it comes to compressing from dvd9 to dvd5 for example that one needs to make a choice where as 1:1 isn't a hard choice to make.

Back