• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CUDA and Quick sync options

Status
Not open for further replies.

calcu007

IF ticket #660 or #661 are implemented a option can be added so the user can select(or prioritize) the preferred method or hardware to be used in the conversion(or copy).

IF ticket #660 or #661 are implemented a option can be added so the user can select(or prioritize) the preferred method or hardware to be used in the conversion(or copy).
I cant say for sure, but you cannot use ATI Video and Nvidia Cuda at the same time, nor can you use a Video card with Intel Quick Sync, so I would say only one can be used at a time, unless you have some sort of super rig that I don't know about.

Yes, I know. That suggestion is for a option to user chose what video card to use and not let CloneBD to chose

Yes, I know. That suggestion is for a option to user chose what video card to use and not let CloneBD to chose
I believe the program will auto detect the video option in the computer and use that. Many people do not even know if they have ATI or Nvidia graphics, and only people with Intel chip with supported graphics can use Quick Sync even if they have a discrete video card, they would have to make the choice themselves anyway so have an option to let the user choose would be in my opinion, mixing things up more than helping, but who know what the developers will do. I surely don't

I fully agree with SlyFox 1: usually people don't even know that they have a video card.
I am sure, if developers implement CUDA/OpenCL etc, they'll do it in a smart way.

...which is why I have an i7-3770K with Intel HD4000 graphics and 16GB's of memory.... I've been using Quick Sync in other products for a long, long while.

In my case I have a laptop with Intel and Nvidia cards, but Nvidia card work better for me in the conversions

quicksync re-encodes can lack in the quality department

In my experience, the quicksync encoders often are very speedy, but also have quality issues. Typically they do not implement the finer nuances that popular CPU based encoders do, including libav, and libav does not have access to intermediate quicksync output when quicksync is in use, so these additional algorithms cannot be implemented and quality suffers somewhat. Many people will not notice the details, but I most certainly do.
Each successive implementation of quicksync on the Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell seems to have dropped a little quality for speed with each iteration.

These statements apply equally for the NVidia and ATI Hardware based encoders, although iterations on later hardware tends to be a little better. CUDA and Open CL can be used to advantage if the control over the algorithm can be utilised.
But I stray from the topic:
My position is that being able to turn off both quicksync and CUDA and only use CPU cylces (at a cost of 20x less performance) would be advantageous because it can lead to better encodes...
Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back