• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Some bugs I've noticed making MP4 files, and some thoughts for improvement

jim2664258

Some of these are bugs, some might be working as designed but it is something I don't understand, and some things are areas for improvement.

- Previewing titles in the Selection screen is fiddly. If you switch between audio sources, you can easily get into a situation where the audio repeats about a 10-second clip or so. But the ultimate checkbox selected is processed correctly.
- I always rename the title. On a disc that is a series, I find that the first title often gets mangled when written to disc. I am using a naming convention like "1. Episode 1 name". The first filename is often truncated to just be "1.mp4" instead of "1.Episode 1 name.mp4". Only happens with the first title, and I am not sure it happens every single time but it at minimum happens the lion's share of the time.
- The time elapsed/remaining has some bugs but it was not obvious to me what I did to cause it. I noticed it the first several times I used the program so I probably did something wrong a couple times, and it messed the program up mildly.

- Desktop video weirdness. On my laptop (Toshiba R50) the LCD runs at 1600x900 resolution. Inevitably during transcoding, the screen messes up in several ways (but the transcode is fine). The screen looks like I have selected a wider resolution that the monitor can support so it is stretched and not centered. There are also periods of weird artifacts on the screen making it about impossible to read. Again, the transcode works fine. I should add that the output resolution of the .mp4 files I am generating is 1920x1080 and I am quite sure that is at the heart of the problem. I should also mention the weirdness seems to start when the machine times out to be locked, although it does not happen every time it times out to locked. When the transcode is finished the display remains corrupted, but if I log off/back on Windows it is fixed again.

- Speed. I know BDs are gonna take awhile and my machine is not the latest (2 years old) but I think the video preview is really slowing it down and I don't really know what that adds. I think the video preview should be optional.
- When transcoding multiple titles, it would be nice to at least see the title that is currently being processed, and would be nice to have a progress bar for the TITLE progress vs. overall progress (overall progress bar should stay though).

Question about selecting audio streams. I've noticed that usually there are two audio streams selected in the Preview window (my target is MP4 AC3). One has director commentary and the other does not. Both are always checked by default, and which one actually gets used seems to be a bit random. Is that piece of data unrecognizable? I would think the non-commentary audio stream would be a much better default - certainly for creating files vs. copying whole disc - then kind of leaving it up to chance. As it is, I must preview every title I select to make sure the audio for that title is correct. Not the end of the world but not ideal.

I like the UI, excited to see what it ultimately becomes.

Last edited:
Some of these are bugs, some might be working as designed but it is something I don't understand, and some things are areas for improvement.

Thank you for your post, exactly what I'm looking for...

- Previewing titles in the Selection screen is fiddly. If you switch between audio sources, you can easily get into a situation where the audio repeats about a 10-second clip or so. But the ultimate checkbox selected is processed correctly.
Hmm? I'm not sure if I understood this point. Are you talking about the Selection screen or the Player screen?

- I always rename the title. On a disc that is a series, I find that the first title often gets mangled when written to disc. I am using a naming convention like "1. Episode 1 name". The first filename is often truncated to just be "1.mp4" instead of "1.Episode 1 name.mp4". Only happens with the first title, and I am not sure it happens every single time but it at minimum happens the lion's share of the time.
A bug report ticket has been created with that issue.
Please check changelog of upcoming updates for ticket [#537]

- The time elapsed/remaining has some bugs but it was not obvious to me what I did to cause it. I noticed it the first several times I used the program so I probably did something wrong a couple times, and it messed the program up mildly.
No, you didn't messed it up, known issue. Ticket [#298]

- Desktop video weirdness. On my laptop (Toshiba R50) the LCD runs at 1600x900 resolution. Inevitably during transcoding, the screen messes up in several ways (but the transcode is fine). The screen looks like I have selected a wider resolution that the monitor can support so it is stretched and not centered. There are also periods of weird artifacts on the screen making it about impossible to read. Again, the transcode works fine. I should add that the output resolution of the .mp4 files I am generating is 1920x1080 and I am quite sure that is at the heart of the problem. I should also mention the weirdness seems to start when the machine times out to be locked, although it does not happen every time it times out to locked. When the transcode is finished the display remains corrupted, but if I log off/back on Windows it is fixed again.
I had something similar once while beta testing, thought it was gone - and indeed was fixed. Created a ticket for this issue. [#538]

- Speed. I know BDs are gonna take awhile and my machine is not the latest (2 years old) but I think the video preview is really slowing it down and I don't really know what that adds. I think the video preview should be optional.
No. Developers confirmed (no, actually they sweared!) that preview doesn't slow down transcoding process. But there is a already a feature request "option to disable preview while transcoding" [#339] which will be implemented very soon.

- When transcoding multiple titles, it would be nice to at least see the title that is currently being processed, and would be nice to have a progress bar for the TITLE progress vs. overall progress (overall progress bar should stay though).
In beta phase we had a second progress bar and at the end it has been removed, nobody really liked it. The title percentage on the left is not enough for you?

Question about selecting audio streams. I've noticed that usually there are two audio streams selected in the Preview window (my target is MP4 AC3). One has director commentary and the other does not. Both are always checked by default, and which one actually gets used seems to be a bit random. Is that piece of data unrecognizable?
Unfortunately commentaries are not tagged correctly, therefore CloneBD selects both streams, but the item with the speaker symbol is the one used as default stream.

I like the UI, excited to see what it ultimately becomes.
I'm glad you like it... 8)

Thank you for supporting us!

Tom

> Hmm? I'm not sure if I understood this point. Are you talking about the Selection screen or the Player screen?

>> On the Player screen. Most times when I uncheck the audio that has the director commentary, the audio starts repeating more like a 2-3 second clip, not 10 seconds. The video continues but the audio repeats itself.

> No. Developers confirmed (no, actually they sweared!) that preview doesn't slow down transcoding process. But there is a already a feature request "option to disable preview while transcoding" [#339] which will be implemented very soon.

>> Ok, thank you for the information.

> In beta phase we had a second progress bar and at the end it has been removed, nobody really liked it. The title percentage on the left is not enough for you?

>> The title percentage is fine. I was not clear enough - Instead of saying 'Processing title 800' I'd like to see the title name if I renamed it (or both pieces of info maybe?). So 'Processing title 800 - my renamed title'.

- Question about selecting audio streams. I've noticed that usually there are two audio streams selected in the Preview window (my target is MP4 AC3). One has director commentary and the other does not. Both are always checked by default, and which one actually gets used seems to be a bit random. Is that piece of data unrecognizable?

> Unfortunately commentaries are not tagged correctly, therefore CloneBD selects both streams, but the item with the speaker symbol is the one used as default stream.

>> Crap. Ok, thanks for confirming.

> Hmm? I'm not sure if I understood this point. Are you talking about the Selection screen or the Player screen?

>> On the Player screen. Most times when I uncheck the audio that has the director commentary, the audio starts repeating more like a 2-3 second clip, not 10 seconds. The video continues but the audio repeats itself.
Can't reproduce this. Checking audio streams in preview player, doesn't change the audio stream (only selecting) and therefore no audio interruption. Clicking on the language stream item, switches audio track in real-time. no interruption....

> In beta phase we had a second progress bar and at the end it has been removed, nobody really liked it. The title percentage on the left is not enough for you?

>> The title percentage is fine. I was not clear enough - Instead of saying 'Processing title 800' I'd like to see the title name if I renamed it (or both pieces of info maybe?). So 'Processing title 800 - my renamed title'.
I agree. "Progressing title 573" is not really helpful. Good point! Feature request added. [#540]

Thank you Jim for helping us to get CloneBD where it has to be...

Tom

Back