• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Please Explain Why I need This.

thezone

Sorry for the dumb question, but Ive been backing up my BD's successfully using anydvdHD for as long as I can remember now with virtually no issues. Can someone explain what this does? I cant see to find a definitive explanation. Does it compress the video? If so will that reduce the PQ? Can I keep the HD audio soundtracks and forced subtitles?

It's the bluray version of clonedvd and clonedvd mobile combined into 1. Pretty self explanatory. So yes it compresses the video. Yes that of course affects picture quality. It does for clonedvd2 just the same. It all depends on HOW MUCH the picture stream is compressed. But the power of x264 used is amazing. It can compress a full sized bd50 to double layer or even single layer DVD SIZE at negligible quality loss. Yes you can keep HD sound and yes of course it keeps subtitles

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

It's the bluray version of clonedvd and clonedvd mobile combined into 1. Pretty self explanatory. So yes it compresses the video. Yes that of course affects picture quality. It does for clonedvd2 just the same. It all depends on HOW MUCH the picture stream is compressed. But the power of x264 used is amazing. It can compress a full sized bd50 to double layer or even single layer DVD SIZE at negligible quality loss. Yes you can keep HD sound and yes of course it keeps subtitles

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Thanks for your explanation. I have never used clonedvd or clonedvd mobile so not so self explanatory for me. I can't see the point in spending good money and time constructing a high quality home theater set up to then compress the eventual product to a substandard quality given the oodles of hard drive space you can get even in a simple home set up. Sorry not getting it really. Not bagging slysoft, they are un-faultable in their products and services. Just trying to work out why I would need this.

Thanks for your explanation. I have never used clonedvd or clonedvd mobile so not so self explanatory for me. I can't see the point in spending good money and time constructing a high quality home theater set up to then compress the eventual product to a substandard quality given the oodles of hard drive space you can get even in a simple home set up. Sorry not getting it really. Not bagging slysoft, they are un-faultable in their products and services. Just trying to work out why I would need this.

Some people prefer to have a physical copy of their movie than have it stored in a computer. So maybe you dont need it and keep doing that you do.

A lot of the time you can compress a Blu-ray down to a single layer BD-R with no loss of picture quality as some studios encode at a higher than needed bitrate.

Also a lot for people may compress down to a file that they can use on their phone or media player connected to the TV. Not everyone has a high end theater setup as they either don't have the room or don't care about having full HD audio or don't have a big enough screen to see the difference between the original and the compressed version. You may not need it, but many people will find it of great use. I back up all my disc to a SL BD-R as it's cheaper per GB than harddrives and there's no noticeable difference between the original and the copy. I can even remove unwanted audio, subtitles and extras if I want and just keep the film itself allowing for a higher bitrate on the copy and not have to plow throw all the advertising crap.

I use CloneBD to selectively remove all the fluff, leaving only the movie, HD audio track, and 1 subtitle track. That, alone, often cuts 25-50% off the size of the backup. No transcoding -- just a 1:1 copy that usually takes less than 20 minutes. If I feel the need to see yet another 30-minute feature about a set of actors working in front of yet another green screen, I'll pull out the original BD and indulge. I haven't felt that need in several years.

I should say, I will use CloneBD -- once the show-stopper bugs are eliminated. Currently, I use Clown_BD, which is doing what I need, but is not actively maintained. CloneBD will eventually be my go-to tool to backup my BDs to my NAS.

Robert

I use CloneBD to selectively remove all the fluff, leaving only the movie, HD audio track, and 1 subtitle track. That, alone, often cuts 25-50% off the size of the backup. No transcoding -- just a 1:1 copy that usually takes less than 20 minutes. If I feel the need to see yet another 30-minute feature about a set of actors working in front of yet another green screen, I'll pull out the original BD and indulge. I haven't felt that need in several years.

I should say, I will use CloneBD -- once the show-stopper bugs are eliminated. Currently, I use Clown_BD, which is doing what I need, but is not actively maintained. CloneBD will eventually be my go-to tool to backup my BDs to my NAS.

Robert

Ah now this makes some sense to me now. Thanks Robert!

One question, is this able to extract the movie only etc from a mounted image? I have many protected BD ISO's and it wold be much easier to mount and extract from these than getting out the original disc again.

Yes it can, just mount the protected ISO in VCD and have AnyDVD HD running and it will see it as a normal disc. I don't think you can load a protected ISO directly into CloneBD only unprotected ones

Yes it can, just mount the protected ISO in VCD and have AnyDVD HD running and it will see it as a normal disc. I don't think you can load a protected ISO directly into CloneBD only unprotected ones

Awesome, thanks for that. Is there a trial period?

There is, but I'd hold off for a while as they are still ironing out a few bugs with it

Fyi

.... about using protected .iso images...

As a test, I tried using them directly in CloneBD 1.0.2.3 and, of course, it said that's not allowed.

So I mounted the .iso files with AnyDVD running and pointed CloneBD to the VCD drive.

Now, I was able to initiate 1:1 copy from VCD drive to Hard Drive - but it would only get as far as the Processing window where the program sat at 0% progress for hours.

Tried on 2 different computers with the same result.

Ran same test using an unprotected .iso image and successfully created a folder on a Hard Drive.

T

That's more than just a bug, that's a serious design flaw.

.... about using protected .iso images...

As a test, I tried using them directly in CloneBD 1.0.2.3 and, of course, it said that's not allowed.

So I mounted the .iso files with AnyDVD running and pointed CloneBD to the VCD drive.

Now, I was able to initiate 1:1 copy from VCD drive to Hard Drive - but it would only get as far as the Processing window where the program sat at 0% progress for hours.

Tried on 2 different computers with the same result.

Ran same test using an unprotected .iso image and successfully created a folder on a Hard Drive.

T

Hmm... Should make no difference using unprotected ISO or protected ISO with AnyDVD HD active.

I guess there is something wrong with your unprotected ISOs. How did you create the unprotected and protected ISOs? Please explain both exactly

Last edited:
Well CloneBD doesn't allow a protected ISO to be imported whether AnyDVD HD is running or not, but if I mount protected ISO's in VCD with AnyDVD HD running in the background CloneBD processes them as normal for me.

Tom,

I ran the test using 2 different protected iso files on 2 different computers. I guess it's possible both files had a problem.

Not likely though... but I'll try the test again with 2 more files.

I created the unprotected iso files by using the "Rip to Image" option of AnyDVD on the original Blu Ray disc.

I created the protected files the same way but additionally selected "Keep Protection".

If it's relevant, all the discs are for different movies.

Adbear,

The mount method using protected images you describe is what's not working for me. If it's working for you, I need to test further.

I just assumed since I got the same results on my old Windows XP desktop and my Windows 8 laptop it meant the problem was with CloneBD.

I'll look into it further and let you know...

Thanks.

T

Is it safe to say that CloneBD is a simpler alternative to BD Rebuilder and/or MakeMKV? Simpler, but quite a bit more costly!

Robert

I think it's interesting to see the various user needs for this product, so here I'll just say: In principle, ditto. I do also make compressed versions for transport sometimes.

If I go ahead with this thing, I'll write down a more full usage scenario, assuming hopefully it will continue to be developed.

I think there are probably quite varied usage scenarios for different people.

Steve

Subtitles

One thing I'd need to know to make this work for me. Will CloneBD show me what the various streams are? Eg when I rip I want the full hd audio and the English subtitles and the forced English subtitles (eg in a fully English language film where there is a segment in a foreign language with subtitles in the original movie, those subtitles are retained). I find with makemkv that it a question of luck whether whether the forced subtitles are displayed. Watched quite a lot of GoT no knowing what was going on!

Cheers
Z

Adding an Audio Stream From Another BD

Once 3D functions are added, Will CloneBD be able to add an audio stream? Specifically, I'd like to be able to add the audio commentary from my 2D BD of Guardians of the Galaxy disc to the 3D disc so that I can watch it in 3D with the commentary track.

I know how to do this with TS Muxer, but only with a half resolution SBS or O/U format. It would be nice to have it with the full, frame packed 1080p.

There are other 3D BD's in my collection that only include the running commentary on the 2D disc. So this would be a good feature to have if possible.

Back