• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

can I archive my rips onto a new hdd?

edo

I have started backing up all my hd dvds and blu rays to various hdds and it has now occurred to me with the size of these files that I will need many terabytes of storage. (duh!)

I would like to put different genres on different hdds to make it easier to select what to watch on any given night. Can I just copy over the files to a new hard drive? That is, will it play the same as a new rip? Or do I have to re-rip to hard drive every movie?

I've already ripped 50 to 60 movies, which amounts to maybe a hundred hours of work that I would like to not do over if I can help it.

thanks

edo

Yes, I have transferred many HD-DVD rips between HDDs. It will take a while though if you are tranferring over USB because of the large file sizes.

thanks jdohn2002. At least I'll be able to start the transfer and go do something else.

Hopefully it will be a little quicker cause the enclosure I got is for SATA and the internal hdds are SATA too.

edo

If I were you I would consider mounting one of the new external HDD inside your PC temporarily.

I would guess that the USB transfer rate will be the limiting factor in how fast you can transfer, so why not mount one of the new drives to a SATA plug inside your PC, transfer the files then switch back to your old HDD? This way you can get the files on the drive quicker, and still mount the drive in an external case when you are done.

So the internal sata connection is faster than the external sata connection?

Everything is sata. The internal hdds, the connection on the backpane of the pc, the hdd enclosure and the hdds inside the enclosure. There will be no USB involved.

Did I misunderstand?

So the internal sata connection is faster than the external sata connection?

Everything is sata. The internal hdds, the connection on the backpane of the pc, the hdd enclosure and the hdds inside the enclosure. There will be no USB involved.

Did I misunderstand?

That's why esata is better than USB. Your drive should run at the same speed as if it were mounted internally. I'm getting a couple next week, I'll let you know how they perform.

sorry, I assumed your external case was conneceted with either USB or firewire.

If you have a SATA harddrive connected to an ESATA port on the back of your PC then it will work at the same speed as if you mounted it internally.

Because I assumed you were connecting with USB, I thought your speed would be limited by the max USB transfer speed. External connection is fine in your case.

Sorry!

I just got an esata enclosure made by AMS from Newegg and 4 500 gig Samsung drives.

The enclosure is very well made and everything is setting up nicely.

I think I will get their ide enclosure to consolidate my other ext hdds and clean up the clutter.

Highly recommend the AMS enclosure.

edo

yep, thats it.

I am very impressed with the enclosure. Super build quality.

Using Vista I just plugged and played. Don't know how XP is going to recognize it (XP has better NVidea drivers - gamma control).

I liked it so much I ordered an ide drive ($125) this morning. When I looked at the sata encl. it was out of stock at Newegg this morning. Better get it if you can.

I did have to use the esata pcie card that came with it though. It wasn't recognized thru the sata port on my mobo at first attempt.

ed

Just use an external USB 2.0 hard drive.
It can provide about 20x the data rate needed for HD-DVD

I have a 500gb mybook, noproblems at all.

Back