• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Draft Day Playlist

Yes AnyDVD was running.
Log file and JAR file attached.
This was the R1/RA Redbox version.

I just discovered a bug in AnyDVD: you need to have region code removal ON in AnyDVD for it to successfully remove this protection.
Sorry, folks - just activate region code removal until this is fixed. Then everything should be fine.

I just discovered a bug in AnyDVD: you need to have region code removal ON in AnyDVD for it to successfully remove this protection.
Sorry, folks - just activate region code removal until this is fixed. Then everything should be fine.

Well I tried this and re-ripped the disc but it still does not work properly. Still plays main movie files out of order with PowerDVD.

Well I tried this and re-ripped the disc but it still does not work properly. Still plays main movie files out of order with PowerDVD.

Please post a log file

...also try the latest beta

Last edited:
I need to find the playlist, too

Trying to piece it together by watching it on a BD player is just a PITA, and it will spoil the movie for me, too.

Purchased from Costco near Seattle (likely region A). Logfile attached. The disc.inf says:

playlists=267, 297, 357, 370, 380, 461, 471, 492, 519, 560, 561, 578, 617, 655, 679, 698, 738, 760, 765, 782, 815, 876, 914, 915, 957

Using BDInfo, the longest playlist (title), 00123.MPLS, clearly includes a stream (03542.M2TS) that says "Dear customer, the disc you've inserted cannot be played due to copyright restrictions..."

There are over 200 playlists with the exact same length and just mixed up stream sequences.

1. What is the correct playlist for the USA region?
2. How can *I* look at the log and determine this myself?

Thanks!

View attachment AnyDVD_7.5.1.0_Info_E_DRAFT_DAY.ziplog

U can start by updating to the latest beta 7159. U can find it on top of this forum section

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, Ch3vr0n. That appears to have made a difference. It now only shows one playlist (00782.MPLS), so it looks like the new version works.

Actually, 7.5.1.9 had nothing to do with it. As of September 3rd, it was still showing this:

Java BD protection good playlists: 267, 297, 357, 370, 380, 461, 492, 519, 560, 561, 578, 617, 655, 679, 698, 738, 760, 765, 782, 815, 876, 914, 915, 957

Me and a few others reported that 782 was the correct playlist for Region A. I think SlySoft merely updated their online database to reflect what the correct playlist is (after we reported it).

I don't think AnyDVD itself can determine the correct playlist in these cases. I think SlySoft relies on its clients (us), to send in the correct playlists so that they can update their online database. AnyDVD has to "guess" just like any other software that is used for playback. Unfortunately the educated "guess" is supposed to be the wrong playlist, cuz that's the trick to the protection. Just look at VLC and MPC-HC, both pick a full movie playlist, but out of order playlists.

The only software that I can see that can correctly determine the playlist for movies like this is PowerDVD. Using PowerDVD and ProcMon, it is really cool to see PowerDVD extracting the jar files, and then scanning the most obvious playlists, like 123, 782 and a couple of others, yet it picks the correct one every time. If SlySoft could figure out how PowerDVD does it (they've used PowerDVD code before), then they could employ the same method in AnyDVD and they wouldn't have to rely on us the users to tell them which is the correct playlist.

So, if you want to figure this stuff out for yourself without having to wait a week for people to report the correct playlist, get PowerDVD and ProcMon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx). Run AnyDVD, insert Blu-ray and allow AnyDVD to scan it. Once scanned, run ProcMon. Then start and play the move with PowerDVD. Click through the menus and allow the main movie to play for a minute. Then, while the movie is still playing, go back to ProcMon and click on the save button. Save all of the info as a "csv" file. Once the file is saved, rename the csv extension to "txt" and open it up with your favorite text editor. I use TextPad (http://www.textpad.com/index.html). Once the file is loaded, move you cursor all the way to the bottom of the file. Do a search going "up" for ".mpls" without the parentheses. This should find the last playlist file loaded by PowerDVD (to play the movie that you're currently watching) and it should be the correct playlist. For movies that have two different versions of the movie, simply do this for each version of the movie and get your two correct playlists.

HTH

az_raiden

I don't think AnyDVD itself can determine the correct playlist in these cases. I think SlySoft relies on its clients (us), to send in the correct playlists so that they can update their online database. AnyDVD has to "guess" just like any other software that is used for playback. Unfortunately the educated "guess" is supposed to be the wrong playlist, cuz that's the trick to the protection. Just look at VLC and MPC-HC, both pick a full movie playlist, but out of order playlists.

This may be true in some cases, but AnyDVD's "guess" is miles ahead of programs such as VLC/MPC-HC (they usually just pick the longest playlist)

AnyDVD is constantly updating/improving it's playlist detection and you will find on a majority of these discs, that AnyDVD can find the playlist without using a database of 'good' playlists.

The only software that I can see that can correctly determine the playlist for movies like this is PowerDVD. Using PowerDVD and ProcMon, it is really cool to see PowerDVD extracting the jar files, and then scanning the most obvious playlists, like 123, 782 and a couple of others, yet it picks the correct one every time.

Players like PowerDVD have no idea what main movie playlist is correct or not. They just play what they are told by the code on the disc.
They do not any extracting/scanning of playlists to pick the correct one.

Players like PowerDVD have no idea what main movie playlist is correct or not. They just play what they are told by the code on the disc.
They do not any extracting/scanning of playlists to pick the correct one.

PowerDVD reads all of the .mpls files and also extracts the jar files ("code" as you say), and from them is able to figure out which playlist IS the correct one. I have the ProcMon log file to prove it. It is very interesting to see PowerDVD at work "behind the curtain."

I am not bad mouthing AnyDVD here when talking about how good PowerDVD is at at picking the correct playlist everytime. All I said was that maybe they need to figure out how PowerDVD does it and then do it that way too.

I believe that it was "Peer" who said that the correct playlist is listed somewhere in the Java code, but that when you get rid of the Java protection (what AnyDVD does) you also inadvertently lose the ability to pick the correct playlist first time. PowerDVD doesn't discard the java protection, it simply decrypts what it needs to determine which playlist is correct. This is just guessing on my part. I guess we would need to ask a PowerDVD software engineer to comment on this (good luck with that).

When I get the time, I'll upload my logfile from ProcMon so everyone can see what the rest of us are seeing who use it. I'm doing this not to say that I'm right, I'm doing this so that everyone can be educated; cuz I was in the dark about all of this till last week myself.

I'm just trying to help, not bash AnyDVD. If I didn't like AnyDVD, I wouldn't own five lifetime licenses. I even bought lifetime licenses for my father and brother. LOL

az_raiden

I am not bad mouthing AnyDVD here when talking about how good PowerDVD is at at picking the correct playlist everytime. All I said was that maybe they need to figure out how PowerDVD does it and then do it that way too.

Like I said, PowerDVD does not "pick" a playlist. It does not have choice, it just follows the code on the disc.

On a typical Lionsgate/Summit disc, there are usually 5 minutes + of trailers, then a menu (which needs user input), then a few warnings before the actual movie starts. All this has to happen before PowerDVD/Procmon reveal the main movie playlist.

This is not something that can easily be repeated "on the fly" with AnyDVD (imagine the above in < 20 seconds, without user input)

Any other playback software program, other than PowerDVD, that can work with Procmon?

PowerDVD reads all of the .mpls files and also extracts the jar files ("code" as you say), and from them is able to figure out which playlist IS the correct one. I have the ProcMon log file to prove it. It is very interesting to see PowerDVD at work "behind the curtain."

No, PowerDVD never "figures out" anything.
PowerDVD - like any other player - runs the Java code on the disc (that's the miraculous stuff you're watching PowerDVD do: it simply copies the JAR files to HDD for better performance). That Java code - belonging to the disc - does the "picking" of playlists. Notably only with help of the viewer with the remote control in hand selecting "play movie".

PowerDVD does nothing smart at all here - also nothing secret, that a PDVD sw engineer could reveal.
It just executes the code on the disc and leans back, waiting to be told which playlists to play.

And no: it's not a trivial thing to automate this (e.g. take the viewer with the remote out of the picture) in order to determine which playlist is the correct one.

No, PowerDVD never "figures out" anything.
PowerDVD - like any other player - runs the Java code on the disc (that's the miraculous stuff you're watching PowerDVD do: it simply copies the JAR files to HDD for better performance). That Java code - belonging to the disc - does the "picking" of playlists. Notably only with help of the viewer with the remote control in hand selecting "play movie".

PowerDVD does nothing smart at all here - also nothing secret, that a PDVD sw engineer could reveal.
It just executes the code on the disc and leans back, waiting to be told which playlists to play.

And no: it's not a trivial thing to automate this (e.g. take the viewer with the remote out of the picture) in order to determine which playlist is the correct one.

Thanks for the reply, Peer. I'm wondering why the "Play" link simply can't be followed to the right code. You don't have to waste your time answering this. I think a lot of us would just like to know more about the whole process. I'll search more online to see if I can't find something that explains it all.

I just find it interesting how PowerDVD always selects the correct playlist and other players don't. Since all of the players are reading the same "code" when "Play" is pushed, yet selecting different playlists, then I've assumed PowerDVD had better AI or algorithm that was selecting the correct playlist while others weren't.

az_raiden

I just find it interesting how PowerDVD always selects the correct playlist and other players don't. Since all of the players are reading the same "code" when "Play" is pushed, yet selecting different playlists, then I've assumed PowerDVD had better AI or algorithm that was selecting the correct playlist while others weren't.

What other players are you referring too?
Any player capable of full BD playback (menus etc) will always play the correct playlist when the "Play" button is selected. PowerDVD is no better in this regard.

I'm wondering why the "Play" link simply can't be followed to the right code.

There is no such thing as a link, that's not a HTTP page.
A Menu is a piece of movie being played back in the background, a number of images drawn on top - some are buttons, some are fancy decoration. When you press an arrow button on the remote, some event gets triggered, a whole lot of stuff happens, some other images get loaded from disc, displayed, ...
Then when you press "Ok" on the remote, again an event fires, some variables get checked and according to those other values in databases get looked up and eventually some other variable holds the number of the playlist.

Even if you were to emulate all that - how in the world would you know, which one of those "pictures" held the text "play movie" in one of 500 different possible languages and several million different font color/shape combinations (OCR?) and how would you know that a certain combination of arrow keys highlighted it (all it did was change a bit, as did others by "unhighlighting").

I just find it interesting how PowerDVD always selects the correct playlist and other players don't.

Every single licensed Blu-ray disc player plays the correct playlist.
Just the "stopgap" ones (VLC, XMBC, mplayer, etc...), that aren't able to execute BD-J code need to guess and then play that guessed playlist.
Those aren't real BD players.

Hi Peer

Armed with your knowledge in entering the s/w / f/w of Commercial PC Players to disable Watermark detection, would it be possible to make those Players display the selected MPLS that they are using at any one time.

This would save us having to use a Monitor program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Peer, all of that makes sense. You did a great job of explaining everything.

I still am amazed though at how differently these blu-ray software players are so different. PowerDVD works with ProcMon running in the background with no problem. ATMT 6 just has the spinning wheel of death that just sits there forever. DVDFab plays audio but no video. Corel WinDVD 11 won't even start. There are a couple more blu-ray players that I tried that crashed while trying to start playing Draft Day. Reminds me of when the Star Wars blu-rays first came out and nothing could play them at first. I remember PowerDVD needing a patch to play them correctly.

Thanks for all of the help. All of you at Slysoft are awesome!!!!

az_raiden

Back