• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BABEL HD-DVD - no menu for ISO in PowerDVD

Danny Bain

I normally rip ISOs of my HD movies, rather than using the AnyDVD HD copy function (which results in discrete files, rather than the ISO). This has worked for all my Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs, providing AnyDVD is enabled at the time of the rip.

I recently noticed that when ripping the BABEL HD-DVD to an ISO file, the resulting movie doesn't present me with a "play" menu. This renders the ISO file unplayable. If I copy the disk using the AnyDVD copy function, the play menu is available using the PowerDVD "play file" function, but is a huge hassle for me to integrate into my movie management software (it likes dealing with ISO files).

Is this a known bug ? From various experiments, the discrepancy appears to be introduced at the time of the original rip, with AnyDVD is enabled. All subsequent actions on the ISO, including a subsequent "copy file" in AnyDVD, results in the same damaged menu.

FWIW, this is the first HD movie I've personally encountered where the ISO rip is damaged with AnyDVD.

I would appreciate any insight the community could offer on how to get a working BABEL ISO file.

Thanks!

I normally rip ISOs of my HD movies, rather than using the AnyDVD HD copy function (which results in discrete files, rather than the ISO). This has worked for all my Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs, providing AnyDVD is enabled at the time of the rip.

I recently noticed that when ripping the BABEL HD-DVD to an ISO file, the resulting movie doesn't present me with a "play" menu. This renders the ISO file unplayable. If I copy the disk using the AnyDVD copy function, the play menu is available using the PowerDVD "play file" function, but is a huge hassle for me to integrate into my movie management software (it likes dealing with ISO files).

Is this a known bug ? From various experiments, the discrepancy appears to be introduced at the time of the original rip, with AnyDVD is enabled. All subsequent actions on the ISO, including a subsequent "copy file" in AnyDVD, results in the same damaged menu.

FWIW, this is the first HD movie I've personally encountered where the ISO rip is damaged with AnyDVD.

I would appreciate any insight the community could offer on how to get a working BABEL ISO file.

Thanks!

Maybe not relevant, but have you tried creating an ISO from the AnyDVD ripped files?

More info on difference

It appears that the missing play menu is due to a difference in the adj_obj\assets.asa file.

I have no idea the proper contents of this file... I only know that the "AnyDVD copy file" version of the file works with the menu, and the version you get from a rip is different, and doesn't work.

What is the purpose of the assets.aca file, and what is the likely cause of this corruption?

It appears that the missing play menu is due to a difference in the adj_obj\assets.asa file.

I have no idea the proper contents of this file... I only know that the "AnyDVD copy file" version of the file works with the menu, and the version you get from a rip is different, and doesn't work.

What is the purpose of the assets.aca file, and what is the likely cause of this corruption?

What AnyDVD HD version are you using?

I'm using AnyDVD HD v6.1.6.5.

On further experimentation, if I take the files from the anydvd "file copy rip" function, and generate a new ISO using Nero, then that ISO does display a menu.

So, the immediate problem I have is solved. However, I'd like to track down the reason that this is the only title that does this (out of dozens that I've tried).

FWIW, I used both Alcohol 120% and ISObuster to make the ISO rip (both failed to make an accurate rip).

Back