• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

IF slysoft went out of business

Steve55

Maybe this is in an FAQ somewhere but I couldn't find it:

The recent activity in the US got me to thinking - if Slysoft went, or was put, out of business, at what level would AnyDVD continue to work?

1. Does it need to connect to a license server?
2. Is its "local" encryption database more or less up to date with each release?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in an obvious place; I did also look at tcpview but couldn't work out anything conclusive.

2. Is its "local" encryption database more or less up to date with each release?
Yes. (More or less)

What do you mean "more or less"? I thought the online protection database was essential for many disks:

If you re-read the message it tells you it cannot access the Slysoft server. That indicates that anydvd needs to contact the Online Protection Database server for the disc you inserted. For business reasons, that function is not allowed for trial versions. Ofcourse the trial version can decrypt blu-rays, it's fully functional. Only the OPD is off-limits for trial versions, you'll have to use an older disc that does not require the database to test anydvd or get a license. In that case it'll work immediately

What wouldn't work if the Slysoft servers went down?

the online protection database server for starters

Yes, but what does that affect? All BD+ discs? Only some? Does that mean that protected images would be useless?

What's handled by the "local" database?

it affects everything, new releases for both dvd's & blu-rays "standard" decryption, bd+, ... It could potentially render protected images useless yes, it all depends if the needed data to decrypt that disc is stored in anydvds local database.

it all depends if the needed data to decrypt that disc is stored in anydvds local database.
So what is in the local database? Just AACS keys known as of that release? Is that what James meant by "Yes. (more or less)"?

Is there any BD+ information in the local database by default, or are all BD+ protected images useless if the server is offline? (Or only some?)

Does the local database cache any of the BD+ information previously fetched from the servers?

Last edited:
Maybe this is in an FAQ somewhere but I couldn't find it:

The recent activity in the US got me to thinking - if Slysoft went, or was put, out of business, at what level would AnyDVD continue to work?

1. Does it need to connect to a license server?

Sorry if these questions are already answered in an obvious place; I did also look at tcpview but couldn't work out anything conclusive.

I think the first sentence in the OP's post may have been overlooked. If Slysoft went out of business or was put out of business then questions 1 and 2 would be moot. There would be no license server to connect to, nor would there be any further releases. So with that said AnyDVD would continue to work as long as it did not run into a disk that it needed to be updated for. Forgive me if I am off base.

If Slysoft went out of business or was put out of business ...

And if Bruno Mars had nuts then he would be Bruno Snickers. Fact is that every DVD and Blu-Ray you now have works. What happens tomorrow is another story. There are so many scaremongers out there, I am suprised you leave the house.

220px-ManWearingTinFoilHat.jpg

The recent activity in the US got me to thinking - if Slysoft went, or was put, out of business...

...they'd probably locate somewhere else out of reach of the USA.

I doubt it will happen any time soon though as money talks.

If you don't know the answer, please don't hijack the thread. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to cache all of the information needed for my collection so that it'll still work in the unlikely event that Slysoft servers are unreachable.

For reference, here are the current questions:
it all depends if the needed data to decrypt that disc is stored in anydvds local database.
So what is in the local database? Just AACS keys known as of that release? Is that what James meant by "Yes. (more or less)"?

Is there any BD+ information in the local database by default, or are all BD+ protected images useless if the server is offline? (Or only some?)

Does the local database cache any of the BD+ information previously fetched from the servers?

If you don't know the answer, please don't hijack the thread. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to cache all of the information needed for my collection so that it'll still work in the unlikely event that Slysoft servers are unreachable.

For reference, here are the current questions:

IF we went out of business (we won't), we would release an AnyDVD version, which won't require the online database, so all existing discs at this time would continue to work.

would you release the sourcecode to anydvd too so we could finally be able to have a linux version of anydvd?

Slysoft is making too much money to be going out of business. You don't go out of business if you are making money. Unwritten rule number 1 of business.;)

Like ALL know how corporations, if the attacks become too heavy, the corporations adjust to stay afloat.

Hopefully not!!! but it seems like the US legal pressure keeps being stepped up. So I think it's maybe unrealistic to have 100% certainty on this point.

Why worry about it? I don't think Slysoft is going anywhere, and if they do I will have gotten quality service for my money since having purchased their products years ago.
I also think it is more likely that they will find bigfoot and aliens having a picnic with him before slysoft goes away. Maybe the Sly Fox will be at the picnic also.

Why worry about it? I don't think Slysoft is going anywhere, and if they do I will have gotten quality service for my money since having purchased their products years ago.
I also think it is more likely that they will find bigfoot and aliens having a picnic with him before slysoft goes away. Maybe the Sly Fox will be at the picnic also.
I don't like picnics, 8)

barbecue's then. Should be hot enough for them all year round over there ;)

I'm grilling now. The chicken is almost ready to come off the grill, another coat of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and it'll be done. I have beans in the slow cooker and Picante sauce cooking on the stove. Yeah, I'm not much into picnicking either not unless someone else is doing the work. LOL
I doubt Bigfoot and the aliens would be having a picnic anyway, more likely bigfoot would be eating berries and unwary campers and the aliens would be mutilating cattle and doing unusual test on female abductees.

Last edited:
Back