• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ender's Game - Bluray - Chapters Out of Order

Rippper

I ripped Ender's Game BluRay to one ISO file and the playback was fine. Except some the chapters kept repeating itself! :mad:

For instance, if the playback was a sequential chapter like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.... the problem was that one of the Ender's Game chapters repeated. Like, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 4, 7, 8, 9, 4, 10, 11, 12, 4, 13, 14

There was like two chapters in the movie that kept doing this. It really ruined the playback for me. The movie wasn't that good and I will be pissed if this happened again on a good movie! What can be happened? I've never seen this before.

I was using AnyDVD HD 7.4.3.0 and my BluRay drive is an LG WH14NS40.

I ripped Ender's Game BluRay to one ISO file and the playback was fine. Except some the chapters kept repeating itself! :mad:

You didn't mention, which player you used to play back the disc - probably VLC or something like that.
Check out AnyDVD's status window (with the original disc inserted). It will display the correct playlist that has all chapters in the correct order.

VLC is not a Blu-ray player and it chooses playlists by gut feeling, unless you tell it the correct one.

I ripped my Enders Game BluRay using AnyDVD HD 7.4.4.0 (I think, maybe the one before it though) to an ISO and it plays fine in WinDVD 11.

Thanks for all the replies! I was using ZoomPlayer 8 for playback. Its my video player I've been using for ages and love it. No problems ever until playing BluRay ISOs.

I'll be sure to save the log output for my rips. Is there anything in the logs that would indicate this playlist obsfucation? The problem is to even know there are chapter issues, I actually have to watch the movie! Subsequently, I only find out while watching the movie with friends on the big screen and popcorn out. Not a good time to find out about playback issues! :mad:

Maybe I can try ripping the directory structure instead of ISO? The RedBox movies don't even have any extras nor menus! Its just the movie by itself so there's no need to even rip to an ISO image. That's kind of a rip off but its only $1.50.

Same problem here

I had the same problem as Rippper with Ender's Game. I ripped the blu ray to hard disc, the movie chapters are numbered between 501 and 525. There are two obfuscating factors I have encountered with this disc; one, the movie is out of numerical order, if one just watches the m2ts files consecutively from 501 to the end the movie will be substantially out of order; and two, some chapters are repeated. Checking the size of the m2ts files reveals many which are exactly the same size, right down to the KB. Watching these files proves they are exactly the same.

Sadly I ripped this from a Redbox rental (which, BTW, didn't have a HD audio track) so I can't rip to iso or get a log file.

then as some people would say, "you're screwed". Without that logfile anydvd can't fix the disc it is decrypter properly and so it shows the properly playlist.

Sadly I ripped this from a Redbox rental (which, BTW, didn't have a HD audio track) so I can't rip to iso or get a log file.

That would indicate you don't own the original either, in which what ur doing is piracy

I am having the same problem. I have been using VLC with AnyDVD to play blu-ray's for a long time and never had this issue. AnyDVD is telling me the playlist is 821 but I can't figure out how to select a particular playlist. Is there a way to do this with VLC?

Thanks

I am having the same problem. I have been using VLC with AnyDVD to play blu-ray's for a long time and never had this issue. AnyDVD is telling me the playlist is 821 but I can't figure out how to select a particular playlist. Is there a way to do this with VLC?
Thanks

You can change the playlist during playback in VLC - Playback > Title >
Unfortunately VLC does not list the playlist numbers so you can't tell which title is which.
You can try opening the playlist file (mpls) directly in VLC, that might now work, but last time I checked VLC wasn't able to play mpls files directly.

For Blu-ray playback I would recommend trying MPC-HC, it's better than VLC IMO and you can easily switch/open any playlist.

You can change the playlist during playback in VLC - Playback > Title >
Unfortunately VLC does not list the playlist numbers so you can't tell which title is which.
You can try opening the playlist file (mpls) directly in VLC, that might now work, but last time I checked VLC wasn't able to play mpls files directly.

For Blu-ray playback I would recommend trying MPC-HC, it's better than VLC IMO and you can easily switch/open any playlist.

Thank you very much, that works perfectly!

Would you mind if I ask you one more question? Handbrake has the same problem of allowing you to select the title but not the playlist. Is there a way to select the playlist in Handbrake that I'm missing or is there a better tool also for ripping my bluray?

Thanks

Would you mind if I ask you one more question? Handbrake has the same problem of allowing you to select the title but not the playlist. Is there a way to select the playlist in Handbrake that I'm missing or is there a better tool also for ripping my bluray?

If you don't mind an additional step, ClownBD can strip a movie-only version to a simple Bluray structure based on playlist and you could then use Handbrake to compress it.

Alternatively, I believe BD Rebuilder can recognise the playlist provided by AnyDVD HD and compress (or extract uncompressed) in one step if required.

I see this is an older thread, but have seen similar ones on the support pages and have been lingering and not posting for a while now. I started to rip all of my physical media (DVD and Bluray) to a media server about a year ago and use AnyDVD and Handbrake. I have nearly gotten through my entire collection and started putting aside the 'problem children' to deal with later, and that is now. I have this exact issue with Ender's Game and have noticed a small handful of movies in my collection which have offered the exact same symptoms, which I can now spot, but what I don't have yet is a solution. It is clear from reading people's issues that I am dealing with "playlist obfuscation" protection issues on these. I'm not super versed in resolving this issues, but would appreciate some help. I have seen this exact same issue and initially wasn't seeing an issue until I went to watch the movie and it's all over the place. What I see in Handbrake is hundreds of files of the same exact length (the longest length) and it doesn't matter which I rip, they are jumbled up in different spots. I have seen some other forum posts discussing the differences between dvdread vs. dvdnav, and think this might be a good place to potentially find a solution to my issue, but am not sure where to go. I saw one of the most recent forum posts discussing issues with "Anna (2019)" which I had the same issue with. I have also seen this with Ender's Game, as previously mentioned, and a handful more:

Hell or High Water
The Hunger Games movies (all of them)
The Cabin in the Woods
Source Code
3:10 to Yuma
Now You See Me 1 & 2
The Divergent movies (all of them)

I'm sure I have some titles in my collection that I didn't notice were issues ahead of time, but would love to be able to fix them when the time is right. I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction, or help me figure out what information needs to be gathered to proceed.

I'm sure I have some titles in my collection that I didn't notice were issues ahead of time, but would love to be able to fix them when the time is right. I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction, or help me figure out what information needs to be gathered to proceed.
All of your discs are handled fine by AnyDVD.
They still show hundreds of playlists, but AnyDVD shortens the bogus ones slightly, so the longest would be the correct one.
AnyDVD status windows also shows the correct playlist in those cases.
A licensed Blu-ray player will play the correct version automatically.
Some other players like Kodi will automatically pick the correct playlist as reported by AnyDVD.
Then some players will automatically pick the longest playlist (so the aforementioned shortening should do the trick).

Handbrake should also list playlists, longest first.
Best option for copying, though, is CloneBD, it will not show the bogus playlists at all (try it, it's free for many use cases).

If you still have problems, please post a log file - create a new thread, though.

Back