• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

TrueHD sound for HDVD not working on Vista, PowerDVD over SPDIF

bachuka

Has anyone been able to get TrueHD sound to work on HDDVD movies on Vista 32/Powerdvd 7.3 v2911 over SPDIF? When I choose TrueHD over SPDIF, my receiver only reads it as a 2.1 source whereas if I choose dolby digital plus it reads it as 5.1 or more.

Any one get truehd sound to work over SPDIF? I'm using a creative external sound card Audigy 2 NX and connecting to my receiver over optical.

It's not possible to get HD audio over SPDIF, there's not enough bandwidth. There is also no HDMI solution at the moment for HD audio for the PC, your only solution currently is to us the anologue connections.

I'm sure someone will come along and offer a better explanation.

There is also no HDMI solution at the moment for HD audio for the PC, your only solution currently is to us the anologue connections.

That's not true. AFAIK, there are NVidia cards out there right now that do both audio and video through HDMI. I don't (yet) have one, but, I do believe they support audio through HDMI.

Thanks guys. I believe my old toshiba HDA1 standalone HDDVD player I was able to get TrueHD over SPDIF optical. My receiver read it as DTS 5.1.

That's not true. AFAIK, there are NVidia cards out there right now that do both audio and video through HDMI. I don't (yet) have one, but, I do believe they support audio through HDMI.

The nvidia and ATi cards that let you play the audio thru the HDMI have an internal spdif connection that connects to the spdif on your motherboard or soundcard, as of yet I havn't seen any graphics cards that have a full built in soundcard that either decodes or passes thru the full true HD

The nvidia and ATi cards that let you play the audio thru the HDMI have an internal spdif connection that connects to the spdif on your motherboard or soundcard, as of yet I havn't seen any graphics cards that have a full built in soundcard that either decodes or passes thru the full true HD

Fascinating. That's not very useful to me. I'll be holding off on upgrading my HTPC for a while anyway, so, hopefully they remedy this problem in the future.

The OP question was specifically about HD audio and I did specifically answer about HD audio. ;)

Right now, they're probably caught with their pants down not designing digital audio into their HDMI cards. I think we're at least a generation away from what really makes sense.

http://whatsonhdtv.blogspot.com/2006/07/hd-dvd-vs-blu-ray-pt-iv.html

I don't know if that helps you at all...It seems that some players, including a recent update to the 360, allow TrueHD to be converted to DTS on the fly. It seems like your Toshiba is doing just that through S/PDIF.

thanks samurihl, that was a good read....i'm just waiting for a video card or sound card that can properly pass truehd to my receiver, i believe powerdvd can handle truehd...I would rather not use analog because i believe that limits you down to only 5.1, i have plenty of movies in 6.1 I want to play correctly as well

thanks samurihl, that was a good read....i'm just waiting for a video card or sound card that can properly pass truehd to my receiver, i believe powerdvd can handle truehd...I would rather not use analog because i believe that limits you down to only 5.1, i have plenty of movies in 6.1 I want to play correctly as well

Yea, I'm going to hold off on upgrading my video machine(s) until I can get the right hardware, as well. It doesn't seem that we're quite there yet. We'll see what the picture looks like this time next year.

Most current recievers can't handle the high bitrates for HD Audio (24.5 Mbps bluray) and (18 Mbps HD-DVD). The sound is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master audio. So you'll need a new reciever as well to get the best sound out of an HD Movie. The only HD-Audio capable recievers on Circuit City's website were an Onkyo TX-SR605 for $475 and an Onkyo TX-SR805 fro $989.

Last edited:
My Auzentech audio card has 8 (7.1) analog outputs. I haven't upgraded my receiver yet, so I just use 5.1 - spent too much money on my HTPC, but audio is next. ;)

BTW, the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 card sounds amazing, even with my wav files (I have my cd collection saved in wav). I used to use spdif with SoundBlaster and also TurtleBeach - no comparison

Most current recievers can't handle the high bitrates for HD Audio (24.5 Mbps bluray) and (18 Mbps HD-DVD). The sound is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master audio. So you'll need a new reciever as well to get the best sound out of an HD Movie. The only HD-Audio capable recievers on Circuit City's website were an Onkyo TX-SR605 for $475 and an Onkyo TX-SR805 fro $989.

Are there any movies yet that support TrueHD?

No. The correct approach is to let the player do the decode and mixing, and to feed the decoded channels to the amplifier. Otherwise menu sounds, mixed tracks (in movie experience) won't work.
You *do not need* and you *do not want* a new receiver.

My Auzentech audio card has 8 (7.1) analog outputs. I haven't upgraded my receiver yet, so I just use 5.1 - spent too much money on my HTPC, but audio is next. ;)

BTW, the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 card sounds amazing, even with my wav files (I have my cd collection saved in wav). I used to use spdif with SoundBlaster and also TurtleBeach - no comparison

That sounds like a good sound card....does it support Vista well and does it have SPDIF out just in case?

No. The correct approach is to let the player do the decode and mixing, and to feed the decoded channels to the amplifier. Otherwise menu sounds, mixed tracks (in movie experience) won't work.
You *do not need* and you *do not want* a new receiver.

Without a Dolby True HD capable amplifier/reciever the LPCM audio wil only be a high quality downmix, but not identical to the original source. See this link for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD

Without a Dolby True HD capable amplifier/reciever the LPCM audio wil only be a high quality downmix, but not identical to the original source. See this link for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD
Hey jdohn (or anyone), am I getting TrueHD out of my setup?
Is PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra able to process the different HD audio formats and send them to my auzen Meridian 7.1 to output over the 8 analog channels?
Or am I going to want to get a new receiver and a true 1.3 HDMI card (once one is available)?

It sure sounds great right now (and looks great too!), but I'd like to know if I'm missing anything.

Thanks ...

Back