• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Re: Failed to read DVD! (tried all faqs...)

wdrozd

Hello,
i am getting the message:
WARNING!
Failed to read DVD!

1. - DVD media is dirty, you can try to clean it.
2. - DVD media is damaged, you have to replace it.

3. - Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, which does not allow reading scrambled sectors from a different region....
4. - Your drive is an RPC2 drie that has not been assigned a region....

I tried all of the reinstall, install, reboot, etc. listed in the obvious Faqs and everything else I can find on this forum already.

I know the DVD drive is fine because it almost instantly every dvd I have put in. I also know that the DVDs are fine because they are detected by my computer, can be played etc. (tried with 10 different dvds all perfect playback/detection none work with Any DVD)

I have no anti-virus software running or installed whatsoever, I also have no firewall enabled.

I know for a fact my drive is properly region encoded and anydvd is also properly set (all to region 1)

I updated the firmware and there was no difference.

AnyDVD worked perfectly for about a year then suddenly broke.

Please Help

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:
Provide the name of the film, region, and what version of Anydvd you're using.

Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". Let us know if Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors.

Bill,
Turn off AnyDVD ("Exit" program) then go back to My Computer and check to see if the drive's region is actually "hardware" set.

In other words, if AnyDVD is running when you check your drive's region, then you will get a false reading ... this is how AnyDVD works.

Whisperer

Bill,
Turn off AnyDVD ("Exit" program) then go back to My Computer and check to see if the drive's region is actually "hardware" set.

That's a good point.

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that matches the region on the disc
viii. Start Anydvd
ix. click the fox icon on your toolbar. Go to Video dvd--->settings
x. Change the default to match the region on the disc
xi. Click Ok

Re: Failed to read DVD....

Hello,
It appears all my region encoding is correct, all set to region 1. However, when I run the Nero CD-DVD speed utility I get an error message:
TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT

Any clue what that means?

Hello,
It appears all my region encoding is correct, all set to region 1. However, when I run the Nero CD-DVD speed utility I get an error message:
TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT

Any clue what that means?

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/errorcodes.html

Sense code 04 (Hardware Error)

43E02 TIMEOUT ON LOGICAL UNIT

1. I would check the cable on the back on your drive (ensure it's seated properly).
What brand and model drive are you using? Is it an ide optical drive? Try another cable.

2. Do steps 3 and 4 from here:http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559

3. It's possible your drive is dying or this disc you're using is bad (even if it plays fine).

Although you received that error message in cd-dvd speed, since what you received is basically an atapi error code, I suspect the same info applies from Clonecd:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonecd-reports-logical-unit-not-ready-resp-timeou-faq.20.410.html

"CloneCD reports 'LOGICAL UNIT NOT READY' resp. 'Timeout on logical unit'.

Either the cable connection to the drive is broken/disturbed or the mainboard driver cannot forward the command, or another program is disturbing the communication with the drive, or the drive simply doesn't respond to a CloneCD command."

Same problem but don't understand solution offered

Hello,
i am getting the message:
WARNING!
Failed to read DVD!

1. - DVD media is dirty, you can try to clean it.
2. - DVD media is damaged, you have to replace it.

3. - Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, which does not allow reading scrambled sectors from a different region....
4. - Your drive is an RPC2 drie that has not been assigned a region....

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I just installed the trial version, and I have this exact, same warning. I don't understand the solution offered by Webslinger at 6th July 2007 20:58. If I go thru this and change the hardware setting, then why do I need Any DVD! What am I missing here?
Granted I only have a limited nbr of hardware-region chgs, but if I chg that setting in the Device Manager then won't I just be using up that limited nbr (ie. how is AnyDVD helping me there)?
I can get the disc to play just fine by using WinDVD's region-change feature, but of course have only limited times I can do that as well. I mention this only to point out that there's nothing wrong with the disk or the drive; it just appears that AnyDVD is not able to override the region protection.

I'm using Win 2000
Matshita(sp?) DVD-ROM (Default Region: 1 - all just as wdrozd describes it)
WinDVD as my DVD Player
Disc/DVD Info:
- Film/DVD - Yes, Prime Minister (BBC)
- Region 2
- AnyDVD v6.1.6.5

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I just installed the trial version, and I have this exact, same warning. I don't understand the solution offered by Webslinger at 6th July 2007 20:58. If I go thru this and change the hardware setting, then why do I need Any DVD! What am I missing here?
Granted I only have a limited nbr of hardware-region chgs, but if I chg that setting in the Device Manager then won't I just be using up that limited nbr (ie. how is AnyDVD helping me there)?
I can get the disc to play just fine by using WinDVD's region-change feature, but of course have only limited times I can do that as well. I mention this only to point out that there's nothing wrong with the disk or the drive; it just appears that AnyDVD is not able to override the region protection.

I'm using Win 2000
Matshita(sp?) DVD-ROM (Default Region: 1 - all just as wdrozd describes it)
WinDVD as my DVD Player
Disc/DVD Info:
- Film/DVD - Yes, Prime Minister (BBC)
- Region 2
- AnyDVD v6.1.6.5
Very simple: You need a second / different drive for reading this disc. Matsushita (Panasonic) drives cannot be made region free.

Back