• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Solution] Red 2, AnyDVD, Handbrake, and reported CSS issues

CasualW

Not sure if you want this here, or on the Red 2 thread? I get nearly the same result trying to rip the main title (with Handbrake 0.9.8) as I did with 7.3.7.3. The only apparent difference is that HB selects track 40 with 7.4.7.4, whereas before it liked 28. Basically you tell HB to go, and it exits encoding after a couple of seconds. The main gripe in HB's encoding log there seems to be this:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdread: Could not open input: Permission denied
libdvdread: Can't open E: for reading
libdvdread: Device (null) inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
NAME OPEN FAILED
libdvdnav: Unable to find home directorylibdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8​

Attachments

• Red2_Handbrake098_encode_log_1201.txt
    10.3 KB · Views: 8
  • AnyDVD_7.3.7.4_Info_E_RED_2.ziplog
    813.6 KB · Views: 15
I did rip to DVD to a folder (right click tray image and "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..."). Whatever warning message that may have suggested that is a dim memory (I assume it's one of those "Thanks - don't show me again messages), as I haven't ever had to do anything but pop in the DVD, wait a moment, and rip the main title via Handbrake. Thanks for making a product powerful and simple enough that we can still use if we don't have the time or are not otherwise inclined to dig deeper into the art of video disk composition!

So, now I assume I have a DVD file on HDD that I would be able to play with the correct player, and that's all that AnyDVD will deliver for this particular disc, right? When using the HDD folder as a source, Handbrake acts just like it does with the physical disc, which is to be expected with a true copy.

If you ripped to Folder (and not image) and Handbrake cannot work with the folder; thenthat is indeed noteworthy.
Thanks for making the clarification. I'm pretty sure James will have more to add.

-W

Same Issue

If you ripped to Folder (and not image) and Handbrake cannot work with the folder; thenthat is indeed noteworthy.
Thanks for making the clarification. I'm pretty sure James will have more to add.

-W

I'm seeing the same issue with Red 2. I've got it ripped to disk, and when I try to encode it, it runs for about 5 seconds and then says it's done with no content for the video.

I'm seeing the same issue with Red 2. I've got it ripped to disk, and when I try to encode it, it runs for about 5 seconds and then says it's done with no content for the video.

See the Please read BEFORE you post sticky thread. Note step 5 about providing an AnyDVD logfile.
Without a logfile - no one really "hears" you here.
(And if you email support, the first thing they'll do is ask you for a logfile.)

-W

Please rip to folder, as AnyDVDs warning dialog suggests.

Ripped to a folder, get the EXACT same results. HandBrake says is is done encoding in less than 2 seconds.

I have tried:
1) From the Disk
2) From an ISO
3) From a folder

The copy protection is not being removed, or there is something wrong with HandBrake, but ONLY for this title, as it is working for everything else that I'm throwing at it.

Sorry if I did not include a file that you were looking for. Thought I had followed the instructions for posting.

Ripped to a folder, get the EXACT same results. HandBrake says is is done encoding in less than 2 seconds.

I have tried:
1) From the Disk
2) From an ISO
3) From a folder

The copy protection is not being removed, or there is something wrong with HandBrake, but ONLY for this title, as it is working for everything else that I'm throwing at it.

Sorry if I did not include a file that you were looking for. Thought I had followed the instructions for posting.

Then please post an AnyDVD log.
How to post an AnyDVD log file:
1.) Make sure AnyDVD is running.
2.) Put the problematic original movie DVD in your DVD drive. Wait for AnyDVD to scan the disc. (Please make sure you wait 10-15 minutes, some discs may take that long. If it still doesn’t work, do the following with no disc in the drive.)
3.) Right click the red fox icon on your system tray.
4.) Select "Create Logfile…"
5.) Wait for AnyDVD to create a log file.
6.) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where AnyDVD created the logfile and the logfile's name. (Typically AnyDVD will create a folder in My Documents named AnyDVD logs) Click "OK".
7.) Windows Explorer will open, and you will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Version_info_Driveletter_titleofmydisc.ziplog" (If the drive was empty, it will be called “AnyDVD_Version_info_Driveletter_EMPTY_DRIVE”).
8.) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forum, look for the icon that looks like a paperclip (next to the Smilies icon).
9.) If you don't see the paperclip icon, click the "Go Advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
10.) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forum).
11.) Click the "Browse" button, locate and select the .ziplog file you created.
12.) Click "Upload".
13.) Click “Close this window”. The .zip file should be attached for us to look at.

I'm having the same problem. Log file attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.3.7.4_Info_D_RED_2.ziplog
    829.3 KB · Views: 6
Log attached.

Please set your drive's region code.
Which disc is this? Edition? Country?
I am wondering, because it is single layer.

Last edited:
Not sure if you want this here, or on the Red 2 thread? I get nearly the same result trying to rip the main title (with Handbrake 0.9.8) as I did with 7.3.7.3. The only apparent difference is that HB selects track 40 with 7.4.7.4, whereas before it liked 28. Basically you tell HB to go, and it exits encoding after a couple of seconds. The main gripe in HB's encoding log there seems to be this:

libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
NAME OPEN FAILED
libdvdnav: Unable to find home directorylibdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00000000. Regions: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8​

Its probably legit James. As to my surprise my bluray version was a single layer as well.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

Similar to the original RED release there is a rental-only release. The Region 1 rental release of RED 2 on DVD is, in fact, a single-layer disc. The Blu-ray rental release is pretty crappy, as well, lacking HD audio.

Similar to the original RED release there is a rental-only release. The Region 1 rental release of RED 2 on DVD is, in fact, a single-layer disc. The Blu-ray rental release is pretty crappy, as well, lacking HD audio.

The Handbrake issue with RED 2 isn't limited to using AnyDVD. The output from another standalone program for backing up DVDs that does its own protection removal also results in the same issue.

I don't use Handbrake so my experience with it is almost zero. Using yet another program as the ripper with AnyDVD in the background to create an MP4 worked perfectly. Seems to me that the problem is Handbrake, itself.

The RED 2 issue with Handbrake is actually a problem with LibDVDNav. In Handbrake go to Tools > Options > Advanced > under DVD Reading check the "Disable LibDVDNav. (libdvdread will be used instead)" checkbox. Problem solved. Remember to switch it back when you're done.

Last edited:
Back