• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

burning software Blu-Ray

overmind

Beta Tester
Just wondering, once you have the blu ray ripped files on the hard drives, which burning software is "of choice" around here? Do you guys all use Nero, or is there a better alternative? I'm finding Nero is extremely buggy at times and even unstable (only blu ray burns though, not DVD).

I'd have to say it must be yor system if you have problems with blu-ray burning in Nero, as long as you remember to set the udf to 2.5 it's fine, have probably written off around 100 blu-rays in nero with no problems

Besides Nero, I was also able to create a valid Blu-ray disc ("valid" means it was playable by both PowerDVD and WinDVD 8 for VAIO, I did not test it on PS3) out of BDMV folder on a hard drive with following 2 methods:

1) On Vista, using built-in burning software: Insert the disc, right-click, select "Format...", choose "Live File System", select UDF 2.5 as file system (it will be default for Blu-ray). When formatting is complete (in 1-2 min), copy BDMV folder and possibly other folders (CERTIFICATES etc.) to the disc using Windows Explorer.

2) In XP, using Roxio Drag-to-Disc: Insert the dics, format it with Drag-to-Disc (it will use UDF 2.0 file system), copy folders using Windows Explorer, then go to "Options" in Drag-to-Disc, select "Eject Settings", choose "Close the Disc" tab, in "Advanced Eject Options" choose "UDF Version 2.5" for BD and clear "Add ISO/Joliet Support" checkbox. Click OK. When you eject the disk, the file system will be changed to UDF 2.5 and the disc will be closed. Disc created this way will be playable by both PowerDVD and WinDVD 8.

You should be able to use Nero InCD as well (unless it also adds ISO/Joliet structures to disc as it does with DVDs: PowerDVD does not like them).

With Nero, it seems you have to use Nero Burning ROM and manually select UDF 2.5 to create a valid disc. If you leave the default, or use Nero Express, UDF 1.02 will be used. (I did not use Nero Express on a real disc, but when I created a Blu-ray image with it, I ended up with UDF 1.02 - checked by IsoBuster).

ImgBurn does not create valid Blu-ray discs - it uses UDF 1.02 file system (which you cannot change).

Roxio EMC 9 "Home" burns with UDF 2.5, but also adds ISO/Joliet file system (and there is no setting to change this). Interestingly, WinDVD 8 plays such a disc, but PowerDVD doesn't (But PowerDVD will play a disc with UDF 1.02 file system if there is no ISO/Joliet, like that created by ImgBurn).

So Blu-ray is already very advanced IMHO: not only 25GB BD-REs are widely available and you can already buy BD-RE 50GB as well, but to burn them you do not need any additional software at all if you use Vista. You also do not have to worry how exactly files will be placed to the disc (as in the case of DVDs) - this is handled by UDF 2.5 file system. Also TDK says that you can rewrite their discs 10,000 times! This is just amazing.

2) In XP, using Roxio Drag-to-Disc: Insert the dics, format it with Drag-to-Disc (it will use UDF 2.0 file system), copy folders using Windows Explorer, then go to "Options" in Drag-to-Disc, select "Eject Settings", choose "Close the Disc" tab, in "Advanced Eject Options" choose "UDF Version 2.5" for BD and clear "Add ISO/Joliet Support" checkbox. Click OK. When you eject the disk, the file system will be changed to UDF 2.5 and the disc will be closed. Disc created this way will be playable by both PowerDVD and WinDVD 8.

You should be able to use Nero InCD as well (unless it also adds ISO/Joliet structures to disc as it does with DVDs: PowerDVD does not like them).

Slysoft products do not like packet writing software either. Avoid incd and dragtodisc.

I recall that imgburn will do HD and BD as well in a change log. Imgburn is free too.

Besides Nero, I was also able to create a valid Blu-ray disc ("valid" means it was playable by both PowerDVD and WinDVD 8 for VAIO, I did not test it on PS3) out of BDMV folder on a hard drive with following 2 methods:

1) On Vista, using built-in burning software: Insert the disc, right-click, select "Format...", choose "Live File System", select UDF 2.5 as file system (it will be default for Blu-ray). When formatting is complete (in 1-2 min), copy BDMV folder and possibly other folders (CERTIFICATES etc.) to the disc using Windows Explorer.

With Nero, it seems you have to use Nero Burning ROM and manually select UDF 2.5 to create a valid disc. If you leave the default, or use Nero Express, UDF 1.02 will be used. (I did not use Nero Express on a real disc, but when I created a Blu-ray image with it, I ended up with UDF 1.02 - checked by IsoBuster).

ImgBurn does not create valid Blu-ray discs - it uses UDF 1.02 file system (which you cannot change).

Roxio EMC 9 "Home" burns with UDF 2.5, but also adds ISO/Joliet file system (and there is no setting to change this). Interestingly, WinDVD 8 plays such a disc, but PowerDVD doesn't (But PowerDVD will play a disc with UDF 1.02 file system if there is no ISO/Joliet, like that created by ImgBurn).

So Blu-ray is already very advanced IMHO: not only 25GB BD-REs are widely available and you can already buy BD-RE 50GB as well, but to burn them you do not need any additional software at all if you use Vista. You also do not have to worry how exactly files will be placed to the disc (as in the case of DVDs) - this is handled by UDF 2.5 file system. Also TDK says that you can rewrite their discs 10,000 times! This is just amazing.

SuperGoof, this is great, i really didnt think I could do this in Vista (duh, i feel like an idiot). I tried your method of just using Vista to burn and it worked way better.

Thanks again

SuperGoof, this is great, i really didnt think I could do this in Vista (duh, i feel like an idiot). I tried your method of just using Vista to burn and it worked way better.

Thanks again

You are welcome!

Just curious: What kind of disc you created (i.e. BD25 or BD50) with this method? Did you try to play it on PS3 and/or other (standalone) player?

I only experimented with BD-RE 25GB and did not check whether it plays on standalone players.

I recall that imgburn will do HD and BD as well in a change log. Imgburn is free too.

ImgBurn burns to BD, but uses wrong UDF file system (1.02 instead of 2.5). So the resulting disc in not compliant to the specs.

ImgBurn burns to BD, but uses wrong UDF file system (1.02 instead of 2.5). So the resulting disc in not compliant to the specs.

Okay, so AnyDVD ripper just needs to get the option to write an .iso file (with UDF2.5) and ImgBurn will write it. Correct?

Okay, so AnyDVD ripper just needs to get the option to write an .iso file (with UDF2.5) and ImgBurn will write it. Correct?

Maybe. I was using ImgBurn in "Build" mode. In this mode it was using UDF1.02 regardless whether I was writing directly to the BD-RE disc or to the image. I can try to burn UDF2.5 image (created with Nero) to the disc with ImgBurn.

I think AnyDVD ripper should always use UDF2.5 for BD/HD-DVD images and UDF1.02 for DVD images. There should be no option to change this.

Actually, why AnyDVD ripper needs this functionality (writing to image) at all?

If someone wants an image, he can save an image with Nero, Roxio or ImgBurn while AnyDVD is running.

Or is it because AnyDVD ripper will create a "clean" image, free of bad sectors etc.?

Actually, why AnyDVD ripper needs this functionality (writing to image) at all?

If someone wants an image, he can save an image with Nero, Roxio or ImgBurn while AnyDVD is running.
You forgot CloneCD. :D

Or is it because AnyDVD ripper will create a "clean" image, free of bad sectors etc.?
No, just for convenience. Single files are easier to handle on media servers with Virtual CloneDrive.

SuperGoof, I'm new to all this Blu-ray stuff (but not new to DVD burning). I've read hundreds of posts from various forums, my head is swimming, and I need some clarification please. You say to burn Blu-ray in Vista, you don't need third-party software programs. My first question is then, assuming many people are running Vista, why are they hassling with Nero, ImgBurn, PowerDVD, and WinDVD 8 to burn discs? I can understand if they use them for authoring and playback on a PC but watching HD on a 17-inch monitor is of no interest to me. I only want to burn the movies to discs and then play them on a standalone player. Correct me if I'm way off base but if I buy a laptop with a Blu-ray ROM and writer, an HDCP-compliant display and video card, and install AnyDVD HD as my ripper, then I don't need to purchase any of the abovementioned software programs? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Yes it should, the main factor is making sure the UDF is set to 2.5 or above, then you can burn it back to disc and it plays back fine.
One thing I should state though is that when playing back from disc on a PC it doesn't care what the UDF is set to, so the tests done earlier wouldn't be able to tell you if it would play in a standalone. But I've been writing back to BD-re since February and the only ones I can't get to work are BD+

SuperGoof, I'm new to all this Blu-ray stuff (but not new to DVD burning). I've read hundreds of posts from various forums, my head is swimming, and I need some clarification please. You say to burn Blu-ray in Vista, you don't need third-party software programs. My first question is then, assuming many people are running Vista, why are they hassling with Nero, ImgBurn, PowerDVD, and WinDVD 8 to burn discs? I can understand if they use them for authoring and playback on a PC but watching HD on a 17-inch monitor is of no interest to me. I only want to burn the movies to discs and then play them on a standalone player. Correct me if I'm way off base but if I buy a laptop with a Blu-ray ROM and writer, an HDCP-compliant display and video card, and install AnyDVD HD as my ripper, then I don't need to purchase any of the abovementioned software programs? Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Let's take this one step at a time.

First, not many people are running Vista. The majority that visit this forum, do not. I do, but, I hate the built in burning software so I use ImgBurn and Nero for most of my burning needs. That being said, I do not have an HD burner of any kind yet. When I do, I'll likely use the new version of ImgBurn that's in private beta right now.

Second, PowerDVD and WinDVD are not used for burning in any way shape or form. They are used for playback. So yes, you WILL need one of them even if you have a shiny new laptop with all the requirements. Vista does not have any HD capabilities built in. PowerDVD is currently the software of "choice" for most of us. I use that word loosely because there's not a lot of choice out there yet. There are some promising new applications on the horizon but at the moment, PowerDVD is the best game in town for us HTPC users. I find this to be sad, personally.

Anyway, I hope that helps. If you have Vista, you can certainly use its built in software, but, personally, I'd just get the freeware ImgBurn(you mentioned buying the software, but, ImgBurn is free) and be done with it myself. And PowerDVD is your best bet currently for playback.

Yes it should, the main factor is making sure the UDF is set to 2.5 or above, then you can burn it back to disc and it plays back fine.
One thing I should state though is that when playing back from disc on a PC it doesn't care what the UDF is set to, so the tests done earlier wouldn't be able to tell you if it would play in a standalone. But I've been writing back to BD-re since February and the only ones I can't get to work are BD+

If the ISO that's created...by whatever means...is UDF 2.5, then ImgBurn or any other ISO burning software is going to burn it correctly. The only issue is how the image is created. If you create an ISO directly from the disc, it'll keep the UDF 2.5 file system. If you build one from a hard drive folder, THEN you're going to run into the UDF 2.5 problem. Whatever you use to build the image must be able to handle writing a UDF 2.5 file system. Currently that leaves us with a few options, but, not ImgBurn at the moment. The beta that's in testing right now has this functionality but there's no word on when it'll be released. Over a month ago I had read that it'll be "very soon" but I've seen nothing to indicate that its release is imminent. So we have to wait and see.

Back