• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD and AnyDVD

frakker

To begin: I'm using the latest version of AnyDVD (v.6.1.6.5)

I've noticed something odd, and I'd like to see if anyone else has noticed the same behavior.

I have three computers running Windows XP SP2 with all the latest updates. I have installed AnyDVD on all three of these machines. Two are running the latest copy (legally purchased) of WinDVD 8 Platinum, while the third, is not.

On the two machines that have WinDVD 8 Platinum, I have had issues trying to backup several of my DVDs. Happily Never After & Ocean's 11 are the two most recent. I get IFO errors when using AnyDVD Ripper. However, I was able to make a backup of Ocean's 11 on the machine that did not have WinDVD 8 Platinum installed using Shrink 3.2 with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I was wondering if there was, perhaps, something that WinDVD Platinum installs that could be interfering with AnyDVD?

Here are the upper / lower filters as requested

I followed all the steps on the post you provided. I'm going to go ahead and post my upper and lower filters, after which I will try backing up one of the DVDs that gave me issues on this machine, and reply back with the results.

In the meantime, here are the lower filters:
AnyDVD
PxHelp20

Here are the upper filters:
GEARAspiWDM

I'll post back soon as to whether or not I was successful in my re-attempt.

It's a no-go

I still get the same errors using either Shrink or AnyDVD Ripper. The error message AnyDVD ripper gives me is:
FileIO 3 VTS_01_1.VOB 506034176 387072

This occurs every time, though the percentage complete may vary. This time it happened about 7% of the way into it.

I still get the same errors using either Shrink or AnyDVD Ripper. The error message AnyDVD ripper gives me is:
FileIO 3 VTS_01_1.VOB 506034176 387072

This occurs every time, though the percentage complete may vary. This time it happened about 7% of the way into it.

That message is usually indicative of a dirty/damaged disc. It is possible that the drive in that machine is more sensitive to scratches/smudges than the others. Might try swapping a drive from one to another to see if the trouble follows.

That message is usually indicative of a dirty/damaged disc. It is possible that the drive in that machine is more sensitive to scratches/smudges than the others. Might try swapping a drive from one to another to see if the trouble follows.

I agree.

Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". See if Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors.

AnyDVD Status Window Information

Summary for drive R: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.5)
HP DVD WRITER 840X S632 06/01/12CNN925252B
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2045936 sectors (3995 MBytes)
Total size: 4091860 sectors (7991 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: OCEANS_ELEVEN_2001
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

...but I wouldn't be in the forum asking for help if it were a dirty or scratched disk. :agree: I am here asking for help, though, so I'll go ahead and relay that my tech skill level is fairly high. I'm pretty intuitive and have a set troubleshooting procedure I follow.

From what I've seen here, you guys seem to be the go-to people for finding creative ways to track down the solution, and that is where I need the added assistance. I'm not familiar with all the programs and other devices that may be available to solve this type of issue, as I only make occasional backups of movies, specifically when going on long trips. :)

As for NERO CD-DVD Speed...here's the error I'm getting with this disk using the BENCHMARK tab:

Nero_CDDVD_Speed_Error.gif

It's still running the ScanDisk. Incidentally, I cannot copy this disk to my local drive either.

Scan Errors out the Wazoo

Well...apparently the disk has issues. CD-DVD Speed reports a bad sector at 21.2% in the scan, with more bad sectors and a few damaged sectors occurring thereafter, although infrequently. They account for less than 2% of the disk area...but I guess that's enough.

So, mmdavis, you were right in that those two drives must be more sensitive than the last one. The disk surface has no visible scratches, however. I can't chalk it up to a dirty drive, though, because it's only this and one other disk that are giving me issues.

The only thing I can come up with is that these bad / damaged sectors must be physical imperfections in the dvd material itself...perhaps something that occurred during the original stamping procedure. It's not enough of an issue to cause problems during playback, however...so it may just come down to plain old drive sensitivity.

The only reason I suspected it might be WinDVD platinum is that aside from that, these machines have exactly the same programs installed with almost the exact same hardware. (the last having an older DVD-ROM drive)

Back