• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PC Freeze

mb300e

I have a Dell GX240 with AnyDVD release 6.1.6.5 installed. It's got 15 days of the trial period remaining. Here is my problem:

I have a large collection of Region 2 DVDs. All play on my Acer laptop without the use of AnyDVD. It is not installed on this laptop. It has the DVD reader/burner set to region 2. Also they all play on my region 0 “players” that are plugged in to TV sets.

My Dell GX240 DVD reader is set to region 1. About half of my region 2 DVDs play on the Dell with no problem. If I insert one of the others into the drive, I don't get the info message saying that “AnyDVD is scanning your disc etc.” If I double click on the AnyDVD icon in the tray, the app opens, but the status says there is no disc in the drive, or words to that effect. Then everything freezes and the only way I can shut down and restart the PC is to push the power button on the PC and kill the juice as it were.

If I leave one of the problem DVDs in the drive when I power down the Dell, then power it up again, hey presto as if by magic, AnyDVD reads the disc. I can then play it using MS Media Player 10.

Any help to resolve this would be appreciated. I am reluctant to purchase software that will only allow me to play half of my region 2 DVDs on my Dell.

Responses to Webslinger

My Responses are as follows.

Answer 3, 5, and 8 from here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321

3a) AnyDVD 6.1.6.5.
3b) Not trying to use any burning software. DVD drive is reader only as stated in original message. Am only trying to play DVDs.
3c) The only burning software installed is CDBurnerXP Pro 3. The problem existed before this was installed.
5a,b,c) Optical Reader is a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B T104 DEL0327T1040.
5d) XP PRO Version 5.1.2600 SP 2.0.
5e) Can’t find updated firmware.
8a) Status shows “No Disc is Present in Drive D:! If I click on OK or Cancel, the PC freezes, AnyDVD (Not Responding) shows in the title bar and app cannot be closed no matter what I do, except by killing the power.

Followed the steps in: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559

1a) N/A.
1b) Done.
1c) Done.
1d) Done.
1e) Done.
1f) Done.
1g) Done.
1h) Done.
1i) Done.
1j) N/A.
1k) Done.

None of the above made any difference.

Step 2. Nothing applied.

Step 3 Did this. No change.

Step 4. Upper Filters: Type: REG_MULTI_SZ. Data: Cdralw2k.
Step 4. Lower Filters: Type: REG_MULTI_SZ. Data: AnyDVD PXHELP20 CDR4_2K BPFLT.

Step 5. Have not requested this yet.

My Responses are as follows.

5a,b,c) Optical Reader is a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B T104 DEL0327T1040.

O.k. this drive is known to fail easily, and it doesn't burn dvd blank media.

5e) Can’t find updated firmware.

Contact Dell and ask.

Cdralw2k.

Cdralw2k - Used by Roxio Easy Media Creator, WinOnCD 6.

Part of Sonic Burning engine, it's made by prassi/veritas and licensed to Sonic. Comes with Winamp, 1click DivxToDVD and (older versoins of) Digion Audio.

Used by ECDC and DirectCD in Windows W2K
Possibly installed by Roxio Easy Media Creator, WinOnCD 6, DragtoDisc and DirectCD

Bad bad bad This has got to go. If you want drag and drop functionality use dvd-ram instead. Do not use packet writing software.

Micro Solutions backpack . . . for external optical drive?

1. Uninstall whatever installed cdr4_2k and reboot. Ensure cdr4_2k no longer appears in your filters after rebooting. Test your discs again. If they work, don't do step 2.

2. Remove your external optical drive. Uninstall Micro Solutions Backpack drivers until BPFLT no longer appears in your filters. Reboot. Test your discs again.

More responses to Webslinger

1. Uninstall whatever installed cdr4_2k and reboot. Ensure cdr4_2k no longer appears in your filters after rebooting. Test your discs again.

2. Remove your external optical drive. Uninstall Micro Solutions Backpack drivers until BPFLT no longer appears in your filters. Reboot. Test your discs again.

My Responses to 1 and 2.

1. Did number 2 first. I found that CDR4_2k seemed to have been installed by Picasa2, a digital picture app from Google. Have un-installed Picasa2. Now the only place that cdr4_2k shows up is in the system32\drivers folder. However it still shows in the registry. Should I edit it out of the registry entry?

2. Found original disc for Backpack driver and uninstalled the driver. Some of the discs that previously would not play now play while others still don’t. But those that do can take from 2-4 minutes for AnyDVD to read them. Is this normal?

1. Uninstall whatever installed cdr4_2k and reboot. Ensure cdr4_2k no longer appears in your filters after rebooting. Test your discs again.

The cdr4_2k should have been installed by Roxio for the Drag-to-Disc part of the suite. Roxio is OK, but Drag-to-Disc is not. Drag-to-Disc usually places a blue disc icon in your Taskbar. If you can't find it anywhere, you might try creating a a Lower Filters.bak and moving just the cdr4_2k into it. That way if you run into a problem in the future, you can put it back. The .bak file extension will keep the OS from using anything in it. After doing that see if your problem is resolved.

1. Did number 2 first. I found that CDR4_2k seemed to have been installed by Picasa2, a digital picture app from Google.

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. I have Picasa on my system. I do not have cdr4_2k anywhere.

If you have directcd or dragtodisc on your system, uninstall it.

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. I have Picasa on my system. I do not have cdr4_2k anywhere.

Yep, cdr4_2k is Roxio Drag-to-Disc. As I had it and had to remove it a long time ago, I am speaking (OK...typing) from personal experience.

Yep, cdr4_2k is Roxio Drag-to-Disc. As I had it and had to remove it a long time ago, I am speaking (OK...typing) from personal experience.

Hmm . . .

I'm doing searches on cdburnerxp and cdr4_2k. Possibly that software may have installed that filter. I can't tell for sure.

Regardless, I agree the OP should be looking for Roxio packet writing software first.

Last edited:
Hmm . . .

I'm doing searches on cdburnerxp and cdr4_2k. Possibly that software may have installed that filter. I can't tell for sure.

Regardless, I agree the OP should be looking for Roxio packet writing software first.

Is the OP actually using W2K for the OS? The cdr4_2k is the Roxio filter/driver for W2K. The XP filter/driver is cdr4_xp.

Response to Webslinger and others

If you have directcd or dragtodisc on your system, uninstall it.

Response to Webslinger

1) When I did the original search for cdr4_2K, I searched for it using Windows Explorer. I found occurences of cdr4_2k in the windows system32\drivers folder and in the Picasa2\plugins\CDVDR folder along with cdr4_xp. As stated in a previous message, I had un-installed Picasa2 and cdr4-2k vaporized.

This morning I re-installed Picasa2 and hey presto there was cdr4_2k along with cdr4_xp again. I guess I can delete cdr4_2k as the op system is XP Pro.

2) Additionaly there is no sign that I can find of Roxio, Drag-to-Disc or any other CD or DVD burning/ripping/copying software on this PC except for CDBurnerXP Pro.

3) In case I did not mention it before, I have discovered a way to get some of the DVDs that cause the PC to hang up to play.
a) I leave the disc in the drive and power off the PC manually.
b) I restart the PC.
c) After the op system has settled down I open AnyDVD and it displays the DVD info properly.
d) The DVD will then play using Media Player.
I hope this helps. Maybe there is a clue here somewhere.

4) I will browse through the other posts in this thread and see if there is anything I have missed. Thanks to all for the help, [we'll get there I am sure].

This morning I re-installed Picasa2 and hey presto there was cdr4_2k along with cdr4_xp again. I guess I can delete cdr4_2k as the op system is XP Pro.

That's pretty weird. I have that exact same directory on my system. Neither of those files exist. Having the files on your system isn't so important as not not having them in your filters/registry. Having both gone are good though.

1. Does it still appear anywhere in your filters? Please ensure it doesn't.

2. Do step 8 from here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Check to see if your system ("my computer") now reports a disc in drive. Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?

Does your system freeze now?

4. Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

That's pretty weird. I have that exact same directory on my system. Neither of those files exist. Having the files on your system isn't so important as not not having them in your filters/registry. Having both gone are good though.

c) Reboot
d) Check to see if your system ("my computer") now reports a disc in drive. Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?

4. Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

1. On the Dell, Picasa2 is Version 2.7 (build 36.40.0) and cdr4_2k and xp are in the folder as stated. However on my Laptop I have Picasa2 Version 2.2.0 (build 28.20.0) and cdr4_2k and cdr4_xp are nowhere to be seen.

Since I have deep six'd cdr4_2k on the Dell, it no longer appears in the filter where it was before deletion. I did not delete cdr4_xp.sys.

I will get back to you on items 2, 3 and 4 later. Thanks.

Last edited:
I know this is off topic, but what year is your mb300e? I have a 1989 I am trying to get rid of.

c) Reboot

1. On the Dell, Picasa2 is Version 2.7 (build 36.40.0) and cdr4_2k and xp are in the folder as stated. However on my Laptop I have Picasa2 Version 2.2.0 (build 28.20.0) and cdr4_2k and cdr4_xp are nowhere to be seen.

Since I have deep six'd cdr4_2k on the Dell, it no longer appears in the filter where it was before deletion. I did not delete cdr4_xp.sys.

2. If I insert the disc in the drive after powering up the PC, the status shows no disc iin the drive. The when I try to close anyDVD the app hangs up. Windows explorer also shows no disc, and it also hangs. I cannot then shut down the PC other than by killing the power. When I restart the PC with the disc still in the drive, anyDVD shows the disc status information and the disc will play normally using Media Player.

3. If I un-install anyDVD, I can see the disc in explorer including a Video_TS folder. I can also see the disc without un-installing anyDVD if I power up with the disc in the drive. The also play OK if they are in the drive on power up.

4. I had already installed Nero cd-dvd speed. It did not find any errors etc. with any of the problem discs providing they were in the drive when I power up the PC. If I insert them in the drive after power up, nothing sees them, not explorer, anyDVD or Nero cd-dvd speed.

5. However, a slight twist in the tale, when anyDVD provided status on the problem discs, it showed them all as Region 0 and NTSC despite the fact that they were all purchased in the UK where region 2 and PAL is the norm. The packages do not specifiy region or system.

Whatever installed those files needs to be uninstalled.

I would also do this:

1. Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

2. Run imgburn. Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order

3. a)Select Cdralw2k. Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
b) Select CDR4_2K. Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
c) Select cdr4_xp (if it appears). Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
d) Select BPFLT. Click "remove selected filter". Click "ok".
e) Reboot

Keep in mind programs that installed those filters will/may no longer function properly. Test to see if your system still freezes.

If it does do step 1 again from here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 (in order)

4. Run imgburn again. Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post in this thread (ctrl-v)

Update on PC Freeze for Webslinger et al.

Hi there, well I am making progress.

1) Since my last post where I reported that I had deep-six'd cdr4_2k, I have flashed the drive with a new copy of the original firmware. I could not find an updated version. Now things seem to have settled down. Although some disks take several minutes before they will play while AnyDVD reads them. Is this normal?

2) I have not yet installed imgburn, I have been out of town since my last post. I intend to do so though and will let you know what the results are.

3) My trial period on the Dell is almost over so I hope I can solve all the issues before it runs out. I would not want to buy something that will not work for me. Assuming I buy the key, can I also install AnyDVD on my laptop using the same key?

Thanks for your help.

Although some disks take several minutes before they will play while AnyDVD reads them. Is this normal?

Not unless the discs are severely scratched. These discs will take longer to scan though: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992

Assuming I buy the key, can I also install AnyDVD on my laptop using the same key?

Yes. However, the license agreement does not let you use Anydvd on both computers at the exact same time.

Update on PC Freeze for Webslinger et al. No. 2.

1) None of my DVDs are scratched. I take very good care of my DVDs and CDs to ensure that they are kept clean and not scratched. I guess I can tolerate the slow load on some of my discs as long as they load and play.

2) I was considering buying CloneDVD as well. I generally don't need to make "backups" of my DVDs except a for a few of my real favorites to keep in the motor home for when we are "on the road", not in the literal sense of course. Will CloneDVD make a better copy than using a DVD copy software such as "NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7 Gold"?

Thanks for your help.

Back