• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive not working (does not appear in My Computer, so cannot mount)

Gary King

I'm installing Virtual CloneDrive on a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. After installing it, it does not appear in "Computer" as a drive, nor can I right-click on the notification area icon and Mount anything, because there is no option to do so.

How can I fix this?

I'm installing Virtual CloneDrive on a Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. After installing it, it does not appear in "Computer" as a drive, nor can I right-click on the notification area icon and Mount anything, because there is no option to do so.

How can I fix this?

Start Button > All Programs > Elaborate Bytes > Virtual CloneDrive > Virtual CloneDrive icon

You should now have the configuration window where you can set the number of virtual drives and other options such as "Show Tray Icon".

Start Button > All Programs > Elaborate Bytes > Virtual CloneDrive > Virtual CloneDrive icon

You should now have the configuration window where you can set the number of virtual drives and other options such as "Show Tray Icon".

Yeah I know how to use the app, I've been using it for years. I'm trying to get it to work on a new computer and it won't work, though.

The icon already appears in the notification area, and it's set to display 1 virtual drive. But it's not showing in "My Computer" and not in the tray icon context menu.

When I installed it, I clicked "Install" on the screen that says that it's trying to install an unsigned driver. After that, it gave an error message saying that Windows 7 is unable to install a digitally unsigned driver. I've never had this error message before when installing Virtual CloneDrive on other computers.

Also, after uninstalling VCD then trying to reinstall it, the "Install unsigned driver" screen doesn't even come up anymore, and it just goes ahead and installs the driver. And there is no error message, but the app still doesn't work.

When I installed it, I clicked "Install" on the screen that says that it's trying to install an unsigned driver. After that, it gave an error message saying that Windows 7 is unable to install a digitally unsigned driver. I've never had this error message before when installing Virtual CloneDrive on other computers.

Check, that the root certificates are up to date on this machine. The driver is signed.

Where can I check this? Also, in mmc.exe, I checked the "Trusted Publishers" and "Elaborate Bytes" was listed there (presumably for VCD) but it expired in December 2011. I'm not sure if that's related.

Hey, Gary. I just ran into this same issue with Windows 7 x64. I installed VCD (as Administrator) and it never prompts me to approve the driver install, and VCD doesn't appear in my system, even though it is clearly installed and one drive configured.

Researching it, I found that there was some debacle with Root Certificates and Window 7 in later 2012. I could not find any kind of Root Certificate update on Windows Update either. So, what I did was basically bypass the signed driver requirement by:

1. Run a cmd.exe prompt using "Run as Administrator"
2. Enter the command "bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON"
3. Restart your computer
4. Install VCD -- it should now prompt you to approve the driver install
5. Repeat steps 1-3, but change "ON" to "OFF" to re-enable driver integrity checks.

VCD should now be fully, properly installed, and functioning normally.

Thanks. Too bad it has become so complicated to install VCD now. It used to be such a simple thing to do, which was why I stuck with it for so many years.

Thanks. Too bad it has become so complicated to install VCD now. It used to be such a simple thing to do, which was why I stuck with it for so many years.

Just use the latest beta version.

In a Sticky marked 'beta' at the top of the Virtual Clone Drive forum

Hi. I recently let a friend move in with me and I also allow him to use my computer. I just noticed that he has used Elaborate Bytes Virtual Clone Drive software because I saw the icon in my notification tray. It makes me wonder what he's doing? But before I ask him, I would like to know what the users here think about it? Should I be suspicious that he is using this software? Could he be somehow hacking into my personal information and recording it with this software? Anybody have any suggestions how I could get more info on what he's doing in case he doesn't want to tell me or acts in a suspicious manner when I do ask him?

Thanks for any help at all.

Should I be suspicious that he is using this software? Could he be somehow hacking into my personal information and recording it with this software?
No and no.
Anybody have any suggestions how I could get more info on what he's doing in case he doesn't want to tell me or acts in a suspicious manner when I do ask him?
If you are suspicious or afraid because you don't trust him, you probably shouldn't let him use your computer.

Back