• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can't get anything to work

JeffChandler

Game Jackal Pro: 2.9.18.565
Computer: Dell Inspiron E1705 (Core 2 Duo)

I've tried a lot of games including Deus Ex and I cannot get GJ to work correctly. I go through the profiling fine and it does its thing, but when I try the game w/o the CD, it always asks for the CD. I've run the older GJ under WinXp before and it has pretty much always worked flawlessly. But I can't get this one to work at all. Yes, I have read the Vista note and I already have UAC disabled and I'm running as administrator. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated.

Game jackal just doesn't work well on Vista. I learned that the hard way.

I hope they do a lot of work to get it working. I suspect they will find something small that will fix almost all the vista issues.

Last edited:
1. 2.9.18.565
2. Vista 32
3. None that I know of.
4. Done.
5. Can't scan--can't download "Protection ID." My firewall detects a virus in the download: "PossibleThreat!023857"
One game is Deus Ex, which is in the GJ profile library, but the problem has been with every game that I've tried, including games that worked fine under the old GJ under XP.

6. All that I've tried, but let's start with Deus Ex.
7. v1.112fm
8. CD
9. USA (Region 1)
10. 2.00 GHz Core 2 Duo
11. Dell DVD+-RW burner
12. AVG Free (7.5.472) and the firewall is hardware and irrelevant to this issue. Old GJ works fine with both under XP.
13. Always prompts for CD

if you download from the protection id site (pid.gamecopyworld.com) the virus warning should not happen, if it does, its definately a false positive, it was reported on the gcw forums and seems to be fixed - only happened for a minority of users, so try again

deus ex is quite old, so gamejackal shouldnt have any problems with it
site reports -> Country Protection / CD-Checks
protection could differ from country to country tho..

If this is DeusEx 1 we're talking about and not DX:IW, you don't need to use Game Jackal for it at all, as it just has the most rudimentary CD check. Just open the DeusEx.ini file located in the DeusEx\System directory, and the line that says:

CdPath=D:

or something similar, change it to the install directory for DeusEx. For example:

CdPath=c:\games\deusex

is mine. This trick worked for Unreal1 as well.

*sigh* Well, I guess I'll have to pull out more games to test. I've also tried Serious Sam (the original) and it didn't work either, though it did work under XP.

Is the Protection ID loaded here somewhere? I'm just not able to get it at the official site.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm pretty certain that it won't get past the firewall, no matter what. :(

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if it's a false positive or not if won't make it past the firewall. :disagree:

Tell your firewall to ignore the warning--or simply disable it during the download. It's a very small file.

Or better yet, use a firewall that works properly.

Tell your firewall to ignore the warning--or simply disable it during the download. It's a very small file.

Or better yet, use a firewall that works properly.
The firewall is hardware, commercial class, and high-quality (fortigate) and I can't turn it off so easily.

The firewall is hardware, commercial class, and high-quality (fortigate) and I can't turn it off so easily.

There must be a way to allow i.p. access to specific sites or get around warnings. If not then, I guess you're out of luck. Seems unfortunate to be using a product that restricts what you want to do.

commercial class, and it presumably catches the data in a rar file, presumably then unrar's it and then determines it has a virus... i really really doubt it does that, considering it'll be working from packets, not the entire content, so it needs its database updated.. if it works from the entire content, then i pity you if someone sends you a rar file packed with all 00's and it unrars to 4gig+...

even on their site they dont exactly detail 'PossibleThreat!023857'... hope u didnt pay too much for that firewall...
and 'possible' does mean possible, so it should ask for an action, not deny the file

It's very expensive, very strong, and, up until now, hasn't caused me any problems. It was also free since it was provided by my employer. I could probably go into the configuration and turn off the protection, but I'd rather not, because I'm not that experienced with it and not comfortable monkeying around with it. As for how it detects viruses, I don't know. Perhaps if the file name were changed or packed with a different file compression, it could get by. The same firewall is used at work and they've got it so restricted that I can't even go to gcw site at all because it's a "hacking" site and/or "unethical/illegal." :(

wait for pid 6 then, or try re-downloading it, i'll msg' the author and see if theres any plans for a new build without this packer etc..

wait for pid 6 then, or try re-downloading it, i'll msg' the author and see if theres any plans for a new build without this packer etc..

His firewall also doesn't appear to like the site the file is hosted on, based on what he wrote.

Only at work, because it's configured more restrictively. The one at home is only restricting the one file. It's possible that I might be able to get an older version of PID there that's not tripping antivirus alarms (haven't tried that yet).

Only at work, because it's configured more restrictively. The one at home is only restricting the one file. It's possible that I might be able to get an older version of PID there that's not tripping antivirus alarms (haven't tried that yet).

I can't even find the file hosted elsewhere, but if your firewall is going to block the download based on false virus detections anyway, I doubt anything can be done. :(

Back