• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Buy memory now!

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
If you're thinking about building a new system, now is the time to buy DDR2 memory. Expect memory prices to shoot up 30-50%.

Hold off on buying Intel CPUs though, until July 22nd.

Last edited:
Memory "should" hold or even drop in pricing for awhile. RAM is manufactured in "MASS" quantities, the market is flooded, prices drop until the quantity is very depleted. Then the prices go up. It's always a guessing game. I always try to stock up while prices are low so I can give my customers a good deal when prices go up.

Memory "should" hold or even drop in pricing for awhile.

No. DDR2 won't.

visit http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....um=190&threadid=1368817&msgcount=14&subpage=1

"Sorry everyone. Extremely sharp price increases in memory the last few days (30% to 40%!) with no end in sight right now. We'll do what we can to offer deals, but expect everything to go up quickly. "

"Adam_C
NCIX staff member
Ram pricing is cyclical. There are typically shortages as vendors ramp up for back to school desktop/notebook sales, or when production switches to other categories of memory such as flash. DDR3 has little to do with things as it's a low production part. Having caught a glimpse of some of the upcoming memory prices, I'd say don't delay if you are even remotely thinking of purchasing. "

Somone also sent me this info:

"After talking directly to a sales rep, he even pointed out that 40% is conservative, that some of their prices are due to rise by 50%! This 30%-50% increase is across the board. Whether you believe this is price fixing by the memory manufacturers doesn't matter. What matters is that with such a huge price fluctuations, there is the opportunity for short-term profit taking.

Now is the time to buy DDR2 memory for yourself, and perhaps extra for resale. Not sure if the risk is worth it? I also gleaned some extra insider information that nobody knows: NCIX staff are buying their own store memory for resale!"

NCIX's suppliers service both Canada and the U.S. (and NCIX has a decent online reputation . . . over 9 at resellerratings and elsewhere). They aren't going to risk lying, and kill their reputation.

the market is flooded

I don't deal with old information.

It's always a guessing game

Suit yourself. DDR2 prices are going up, especially once stores run out of existing stock.

I always try to stock up while prices are low so I can give my customers a good deal when prices go up.

If your customers use DDR2, now is time to stock up.

Last edited:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1525&Itemid=1

"Our industry sources believe that DDR2 memory is about to get more expensive. It hit the lowest price the last few weeks.

In the last two weeks DDR2 chips got more expensive and it is just a matter of time until you see DDR2 module prices going up. You can buy DDR2 2 GB kits for about €85 but you can expect that this memory will become more expensive soon.

If you want to get DDR2 memory the time is right now, in a week or two it ought to be more expensive. Don’t tell that we haven’t warned you."

But hey, suit yourself . . .

Info is corroborated by both suppliers and a huge online store.

webslinger,you should've posted the information in your last 2 posts when you started this thread then oldjoe could've considered this extra information before making his post which you went and trampled all over with your source link+quotes.
when you say
If you're thinking about building a new system, now is the time to buy DDR2 memory. Expect memory prices to shoot up 30-50%.
you should've included where you got the information from from the start.

Last edited:
Those links seem to be mostly speculation but you never know. I'll keep a close watch on my resources for any evidence of rising prices.

Those links seem to be mostly speculation

You have staff and ordering managers saying "Having caught a glimpse of some of the upcoming memory prices . . ."

That's not speculation. That's NCIX ordering managers looking at supplier costs rising on their computers because they want to restock.

webslinger,you should've posted the information in your last 2 posts when you started this thread

Wow. How about next time I simply don't post instead of being attacked as though I'm making everything up? :mad:
Do you think I just make stuff up when I post?

I was trying to be nice and let people know, and I get attacked for it? Not happening again . . .

Last edited:
Wow. How about next time I simply don't post instead of being attacked as though I'm making everything up? :mad:

I was trying to be nice and let people know, and I get attacked for it? Not happening again . . .

FYI, I appreciated the info, thanks.

sorry if you feel i was attacking you.
i've never thought that you ever made anything up in any of your replies.
if oldjoe hadn't made his comment,we'd probably never have read all that extra detailed information that you later posted (and which i found interesting to read).
absolutely no offence was intended.again apologies if it came over that way.
:bowdown:

sorry if you feel i was attacking you.
i've never thought that you ever made anything up in any of your replies.
if oldjoe hadn't made his comment,we'd probably never have read all that extra detailed information that you later posted (and which i found interesting to read).
absolutely no offence was intended.again apologies if it came over that way.
:bowdown:

O.k., sorry. I owe you an apology. I misinterpreted what you wrote. Next time I will try to provide sources (I'm a bit lazy, so I'll make an effort to remember next time).

You have staff and ordering managers saying "Having caught a glimpse of some of the upcoming memory prices . . ."

That's not speculation. That's NCIX ordering managers looking at supplier costs rising on their computers because they want to restock.

"Upcoming" when? Of course RAM will rise as the supply deletes, as it always has. That's the cycle that RAM has always ran due to the manufacturing practices. There speculation could quite possibly have some merit if they are ordering well into the latter part of the year as most larger suppliers do. One other consideration might be that DDR2 has been exceptionally low priced recently and the supply has depleted sooner than anticipated?
I also appreciate the info and I will, as I said earlier, keep a close eye on my suppliers prices.

"Upcoming" when?

visit http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....um=190&threadid=1368817&msgcount=29&subpage=1

"Sorry everyone. Extremely sharp price increases in memory the last few days (30% to 40%!) with no end in sight right now. We'll do what we can to offer deals, but expect everything to go up quickly. "

Sounds pretty quick to me.

"Due to pricing instability in the memory market, memory pricing may not be accurate and orders may be subject to review or cancellation until further notice. This includes all memory products currently in stock, and anything listed as not in stock will be subject to increases or cancellation. "

If NCIX has to consider cancelling existing customers' orders (this hasn't happened yet) due to sudden price increases, that's pretty serious stuff (as it would really upset NCIX's customers . . . that's a customer relations nightmare situation). Presumably that would be more likely to happen to customers who have placed orders for items that are not in stock (so the items would be "on order").

The full message is . .

"Due to pricing instability in the memory market, memory pricing may not be accurate and orders may be subject to review or cancellation until further notice. This includes all memory products currently in stock, and anything listed as not in stock will be subject to increases or cancellation.

Where possible, we will try to honour pricing on in stock items ONLY, but this will be determined on a case by case basis.

Memory pricing currently offered in our promotions will held at offered pricing for as long as possible, but promotional offers may be revoked without prior notice.

Sorry everyone. Extremely sharp price increases in memory the last few days (30% to 40%!) with no end in sight right now. We'll do what we can to offer deals, but expect everything to go up quickly. "

Last edited:
from http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12710

System memory spot prices are on the rise
by Cyril Kowaliski - 01:31 pm, June 20, 2007

We've heard from various sources that system memory prices would start to go up in the second half of this year, and that trend appears to already be in effect. As DRAMeXchange reports, spot prices for 512Mb (64MB) DDR2 memory chips jumped by 22.8% to 27.5% (depending on the memory type) between June 11 and June 20. One of the factors behind this increase is a little unusual, though:

Some channel distributors in Shenzhen, who aggressively pre stock amid the smuggling-fighting measures in southern China, is one of the major causes for the price rebound. Since China imposes 17% VAT on imported goods, some China-based channel distributors often smuggle DRAM chips from Hong Kong in order to avoid the VAT cost. Yet, the strict smuggling-fighting measures recently prompted them to aggressively source DRAM chips from spot market under shortage concern, thus boosting prices accordingly.

The other factor behind the increase, according to DRAMeXchange, is longer production cycles caused by the transition to 70nm process technology.

As of yesterday, June 27, 2007, DDR2 RAM prices, on all the internet retailers that I find, is dropping or holding steady.:confused:

As of yesterday, June 27, 2007, DDR2 RAM prices, on all the internet retailers that I find, is dropping or holding steady.:confused:

You'll have to wait for in-stock depletion before seeing changes (I did notice Crucial PC-8500 price drops on 2 gig kits, but I doubt those would have been affected much anyway as there's hardly a demand for them except from overclockers); 2-4 weeks before NCIX customers start yelling, I'm told (possibly sooner) . . .

Last edited:
Back