• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

scratched DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgelinas

I am very pleased with CloneDvd2. I am making backups of my children movies with success. The only problem I have is when the DVD is scratched. Even after polishing and cleaning the DVD's surface, I can't get CloneDVD to copy it. The movie plays fine though. Some glitches are barely noticeable tough.

Is there any software that copies damaged DVDs?

Is it possible, in a near future that CloneDVD enable to copy a damaged disc? I don't really need the copy to be perfect. Just skip the damaged frames.

Fred.

Clonedvd does attempt a number of read-retries with scratched media, but I don't believe skipping over read errors is something that Clonedvd will implement in the near future. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not interested in faulty backups.

I suggest the best solution would be to exchange your damaged dvds for good working versions. Or when you buy dvds, back them up immediately before they are damaged, and use the backups to watch instead of the originals.

Some people do use dvd decrypter (and other programs) to brute force rip past read errors, but you do run the risk of burning out your optical drives faster (and you will also have an imperfect backup).

I suggest the best solution would be to exchange your damaged dvds for good working versions.

Well, tell me where they would exchange a 4 years old DVD for a brand new one. I am doing a backup as soon as I buy a new one and I am watching the copy. Well, the kids do. 4 years ago, I couldn't afford a DVD burner. I just want to copy the DVD that I already own. Since I don't care if a couple of frames are skipped, as long as the kids stop using the original.

You mentionned DVD Decryptor. Would it skip the unreadable frames?

Well, tell me where they would exchange a 4 years old DVD for a brand new one.

You may be able to contact the studio if you have receipts. I actually know someone who did this. :D But that is a bit of a stretch.

I really don't recommend brute force ripping.

If you're interested in third party programs, I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum. Clonedvd will not do what you want.

Well, tell me where they would exchange a 4 years old DVD for a brand new one. I am doing a backup as soon as I buy a new one and I am watching the copy. Well, the kids do. 4 years ago, I couldn't afford a DVD burner. I just want to copy the DVD that I already own. Since I don't care if a couple of frames are skipped, as long as the kids stop using the original.

You might try 1ClickDVD Copy 5. I haven't tried the newer versions with a scratched disc (haven't had a bad one in a long time), but some of the older versions would skip bad sectors. There would be a skip during playback of varying length depending on how many sectors were skipped.

where i live a couple movie stores have resurfacing machines for only $3.41 canadian disc comes out nice and clean

Some software, DVD Decrypter or RipIt4Me would be your best to try.
"Some" video rental stores will resurface a DVD for free.
I have had success using a Yellow highlighter to fill in scratches. Toothpaste, or a mixture of toothpaste and Brasso, will also buff out scratches.

Last edited:
fgelinas,
Read these postings about repairing surface damage. For the most part (with slight differences), not being able to rip damaged disks is caused by the relationship between your drive's laser beam and the damaged surface ... not what software you use.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=36

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1164934&postcount=2

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1657367&postcount=10

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/products.php?cat=1

Best regards,
Whisperer

Webslinger: Trying different software rarely makes a damaged disks ripable. Some drives do better than others. It IS a drive laser/scratched disk issue (not software) ... so one can't be lazy and look for a simple "another" software solution ... rarely works! Since the "ripping damaged disks" issue arises a few times a month, I'll re-edit all the text from these links into one document if you want to make a Sticky/FAQ out of the info. Not this weekend, but I get monday and tuesday off ... just say the word and I'll do the re-write.

Whisperer

Last edited:
Webslinger: Trying different software rarely makes a damaged disks rippable.

Actually, this isn't true, as some software can, in fact, skip over read errors. I'm reticent to name two of them as they compete with slysoft products (and also, at least, one, according to James, uses stolen GPL code . . . possibly both; I can't remember). What does happen however, is that the backup is usually far from perfect, and you've created slightly more wear on your reader than you would have otherwise. Part of this method working depends on how badly damaged the disc is (you're right insofar as badly cracked discs . . . you may be able to recover information, but why bother.) I agree that having a good reader helps significantly in this case (and that the amount of disc damage is also a factor).

In my experience, Clonedvd will not skip over read errors.

Last edited:
Ya, but, and not to be argumentative, but why "skip over" a damaged area of an original and get an imperfect, "jumpy" backup? That seems more like an imperfect patch rather than a fix. And how bad is an individual's disk damage ... that matters too. For light damage then your way is ok ... maybe ... but not to my standards. But if the OP or others don't care then so be it :)

Best regards,
Whisperer

Edits to text added five minutes later

Last edited:
Ya, but, and not to be argumentative, but why "skip over" a damaged area of an original and get an imperfect, "jumpy" backup?

I completely agree. I could not possibly agree more. But some people want that feature.

The cynical side of me says "renters", but some legitimate owners do get discs scratched from time to time.

For light damage then your way is ok ... maybe ... but not to my standards.

I do not recommend skipping over read errors with dvd-video movies. I was just answering the OP's question. I may be lazy, but I draw the line at having blank space, jitter, and jerky pictures in my backups.

Last edited:
Webslinger,
Just noticed your re-edits and next posts ... agreement. Please stop typing and posting so fast you darn guy!

Last edited:
Webslinger,
Just noticed your re-edits and next posts ... agreement. Please stop typing and posting so fast you darn guy!

I think I understand what you were writing originally now. I agree that software is not much of a factor in providing perfect rips (once decryption has been dealt with), and that the condition of the original disc and the capacity of the reader to read scratched media are the most important factors. However, some software may be better than others at providing an imperfect rip or any rip at all with scratched media. And we both don't like imperfect rips. :agree:

I think I understand what you were writing originally now. I agree that software is not much of a factor in providing perfect rips (once decryption has been dealt with), and that the condition of the original disc and the capacity of the reader to read scratched media are the most important factors. However, some software may be better than others at providing an imperfect rip or any rip at all with scratched media. And we both don't like imperfect rips. :agree:

I personally have replaced all damaged discs. But a long time back before I started making backups, some were fairly scratched and I didn't want to spend the money to get another. So I found out back then what can or can't skip errors. The argument about getting perfect backups can go on and on, but the OP specifically asked IF there was software that could/would skip over some errors. The result would be some skip during playback, and may not be what you or I or others may want to do, but that is their choice. Is it not?

The result would be some skip during playback, and may not be what you or I or others may want to do, but that is their choice. Is it not?

Yes. As I stated before: "some people want that feature."

Why would I want a perfect copy? I am using the copy just to stop scratching originals. When I play my scratched original, the DVD player skips those damaged frames anyway! Who cares if they are skipped because unreadable or not present at all? I just don't get the argument of a perfect copy is needed. Anyway, I am copying to DVD-5 discs, which means that the movie are already "imperfect" due to the higher level of compression used to fit the disc.

Of course, I should shop for a place to resurface the disc. That would be the best solution to get a perfect backup. But my 3 kids are under 4 years old and don't care if there are some skipped frames here and there...

I'll definately try other softwares.

Who cares if they are skipped because unreadable or not present at all?

Most people don't want wrecked backups with skipped frames if they enjoy the movie. In some cases, you can also miss large portions of a film depending on how badly damaged the original is.

As you don't care how bad your backup is, you will have to try other software.

Webslinger,

You have NO IDEA how fast he can re-edit and re-post. He and I got into a late night slugfest several months ago.... where we both were "one-upping" each other with "clarification edits" (read: spin control) etc.

I think it went by everyone..... we eventually agreed to delete the thread for the sake of sanity - but I would love to have seen it "scored" :D

-W

betatesters4ml.gif

There was a company called 321 studios a few years ago that had a software out call DVD X Rescue. This was its only purpose backing up scratched dvd's. I have the software and bet it can still be found doing a search on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back