• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Views, and Questions about Blue-Disc, and HD-dvd

elitepunk

[Views]
These are my personal views about high definiton technology...do not get offended...
Ok...first of all, ive been in the dvd rip ''scene'' for a while, and quite frankly the new HD formats do not appeal to me at all...in fact, when i see people go and waste ''lots of money'' on a new 1000 dollar player, it kinda makes me a little nautios [sp/] anyway, i still have a 16x dvd-DL burner from sony, and im quite happy with the quality of dvd-5/9, and can see no need to upgrade for such an expense, for better quality, for example yes i know the specs of the disc, however, unless you are rich, have a 5000 dollar 1080i tv from sony or samsung, and have the player [laughs] well then yes that would make the difference, however if you are like most people, you are still happy with ''scene'' rips, and don't wanna give any money to hollywood...

and no, i dont play ''the latest and greatest'' [laughs] console games from PS3, and X3, but rather i play the new ''good pc releases'', but, dont get me wrong, im a VERY picky gamer, ie, if its not HL2, UT2K4 quality, i rarely [if ever] play them...i cant name one game from the new systems id actually wanna play...call me old skool...anyway, yeah i still play super nintendo, genesis...of course...im not stupid...

so anyway just a few of my thoughts...

[The Questions]

Since im not very familiar with first hand use of HD products, can people inform me of how the systems work, and more importanly, [when i become wealthy] is it easliy possible to go from lets say...blu-ray to dvd-9/5 and then to XVID/DIVX?

if its possible but requires ''hacking skills'' i dont want any part of it...

Please Inform me...amigos,

-Jon.

[Views]
These are my personal views about high definiton technology...do not get offended...
Ok...first of all, ive been in the dvd rip ''scene'' for a while, and quite frankly the new HD formats do not appeal to me at all...in fact, when i see people go and waste ''lots of money'' on a new 1000 dollar player, it kinda makes me a little nautios [sp/] anyway, i still have a 16x dvd-DL burner from sony, and im quite happy with the quality of dvd-5/9, and can see no need to upgrade for such an expense, for better quality, for example yes i know the specs of the disc, however, unless you are rich, have a 5000 dollar 1080i tv from sony or samsung, and have the player [laughs] well then yes that would make the difference, however if you are like most people, you are still happy with ''scene'' rips, and don't wanna give any money to hollywood...

and no, i dont play ''the latest and greatest'' [laughs] console games from PS3, and X3, but rather i play the new ''good pc releases'', but, dont get me wrong, im a VERY picky gamer, ie, if its not HL2, UT2K4 quality, i rarely [if ever] play them...i cant name one game from the new systems id actually wanna play...call me old skool...anyway, yeah i still play super nintendo, genesis...of course...im not stupid...

so anyway just a few of my thoughts...

[The Questions]

Since im not very familiar with first hand use of HD products, can people inform me of how the systems work, and more importanly, [when i become wealthy] is it easliy possible to go from lets say...blu-ray to dvd-9/5 and then to XVID/DIVX?

if its possible but requires ''hacking skills'' i dont want any part of it...

Please Inform me...amigos,

-Jon.

Your right on the money. Unless you have a large screen HDTV you don't need HD DVD or Blu-ray.

Converting them to DVD size or smaller would defeat the basic premise of HD.

If you can't afford it now wait. In a couple of years HD will be as common and affordable as DVD is now.

Also in the U.S. the FCC plans on doing away from anolog all together so if you live in the U.S. be prepared by Feb. 2009 that this is supposed to take effect and if you don't want a HD T.V. then you have option #2 buy a HD to anolog box price of this is unknown. All T.V. in the U.S. will only be using HD signals from my findings. Just thought I would share this as well.

Important information about the February 17, 2009 "DTV Transition"
Questions & Answers

1. When will the transition from analog to DTV broadcasting occur?
The Congress has now passed legislation requiring all conventional "analog" TV broadcasting to stop on February 17, 2009. After that date, your local television broadcasters will be making only "DTV" broadcasts. If received via an antenna these broadcasts will require different TV tuners.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13416/edOid/145447/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do

Last edited:
Also in the U.S. the FCC plans on doing away from anolog all together so if you live in the U.S. be prepared by Feb. 2009 that this is supposed to take effect and if you don't want a HD T.V. then you have option #2 buy a HD to anolog box price of this is unknown. All T.V. in the U.S. will only be using HD signals from my findings. Just thought I would share this as well.

Important information about the February 17, 2009 "DTV Transition"
Questions & Answers

1. When will the transition from analog to DTV broadcasting occur?
The Congress has now passed legislation requiring all conventional "analog" TV broadcasting to stop on February 17, 2009. After that date, your local television broadcasters will be making only "DTV" broadcasts. If received via an antenna these broadcasts will require different TV tuners.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/-13416/edOid/145447/rpem/ccd/lookLearn.do

If you have cable or satellite it won't affect you.

If you have cable or satellite it won't affect you.

Don't know about where you're at but digital cable here isn't actually digital, but they charge for it though. There was a mix up on their hardware order so said but I myself use satellite.

Don't know about where you're at but digital cable here isn't actually digital, but they charge for it though. There was a mix up on their hardware order so said but I myself use satellite.

Other than the cable companies having to provide broadcast channels in digital format, I don't think they are prevented from converting them to analog the way they currently do for many satellite channels. Thus, you would be able to receive them on your analog sets without a converter.

hi guys thanx for the reply, i have satelite tv, [and im from canada] by the way, and it has HD outputs, on my reciever, but, even though i have a great quality projecter, it may be hd compatable, it may not, i dont know because i dont watch much tv, im mostly on my dual setup 19 inch NON hd dvi monitors on my computer...am i the only one not on the bandwagon for hd?

EDIT, no one answered ANY of my questions:confused::agree: for example, my questions were about the quality of rips...would the quality of a Bluray [for example] converted into a XVID, [for example] be better quality than if the source was a dvd??

Last edited:
EDIT, no one answered ANY of my questions:confused::agree: for example, my questions were about the quality of rips...would the quality of a Bluray [for example] converted into a XVID, [for example] be better quality than if the source was a dvd??

If you can figure out how to do it, and you make the XVID movie file as large as you can fit on a dual-layer DVD then, theoretically, you should be able to get a better quality picture than that on DVD.

The problem with converting it to Divx or any other format seems to be decoders for the content. There was a thread on doom9 about it and it seems some people have a sonic decoder that seems to work. I'd like to figure out how to do this myself as I think it'd be useful. I think we're a ways away from easily being able to do that, though. Quality, as long as you used the HD divx profile, would be far superior to DVD.

Quality, as long as you used the HD divx profile, would be far superior to DVD.

Unless you're using something like an Intel C2D I wonder how long this conversion would take. Far longer than my patience could tolerate, I think.

Run it overnight like I taught you to do with DVD-RB. :) Then you won't care.

Back