• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Media Write Error

Bozopolis

About 2-3 months ago, I started having a problem intermittently with Clone DVD. It happens as the burner starts to write to the disc. It says setting up and erasing and then writing and then I get an error message saying that there is a media write error, replace the disc and try again. However, after a month of this happening and throwing away about 20 DVD's, I looked at the DVD and it didn't look like anything was written. So, I put the DVD back in and hit write and it works every time. I alway update to the latest version of Clone DVD and when it first started happening I had switched to Taiyo Yuden premium 8X white inkjet hub printable media. I usually use Ritek Ridata 8 or 16X media I buy at Meritline. It kept happening when I switched back so I updated my firmware and it continued. I decided to upgrade my burner since it was about 4 years old. I bought a new 20X lite-on lightscribe writer (OEM) and the problem still happens. Sometimes I can do 6-8 DVD's without it happening at all. The other night I did 8 and it happened every time. It's kind of annoying because I usually start it and leave expecting to come back to a completed DVD instead of a Media Write error message.

I have a basic clone desktop PC with an INTEL Pentium 4 hyperthreading 2.8ghz processor running Windows XP home. I've even tried reinstalling my motherboard drivers and unistalling Clone DVD and reinstalling it. I don't usually use my computer when I'm burning and the only program that's loaded is the AVAST antivirus one. No screen savers or anything like that.

I can't figure it out so I thought I'd ask for help. A new DVD writer, different media, reinstillation of drivers and reinstallation of Clone DVD didn't seem to help so I'm open to other suggestions. Again, I use inkjet media. No paper labels (which I hate). And, the discs seem okay because they write fine the second time and play okay. I have less than 1% of DVD's that have errors.

Thanks,

Richard aka Bozopolis

About 2-3 months ago, I started having a problem intermittently with Clone DVD. It happens as the burner starts to write to the disc. It says setting up and erasing and then writing and then I get an error message saying that there is a media write error, replace the disc and try again. However, after a month of this happening and throwing away about 20 DVD's, I looked at the DVD and it didn't look like anything was written. So, I put the DVD back in and hit write and it works every time. I alway update to the latest version of Clone DVD and when it first started happening I had switched to Taiyo Yuden premium 8X white inkjet hub printable media. I usually use Ritek Ridata 8 or 16X media I buy at Meritline. It kept happening when I switched back so I updated my firmware and it continued. I decided to upgrade my burner since it was about 4 years old. I bought a new 20X lite-on lightscribe writer (OEM) and the problem still happens. Sometimes I can do 6-8 DVD's without it happening at all. The other night I did 8 and it happened every time. It's kind of annoying because I usually start it and leave expecting to come back to a completed DVD instead of a Media Write error message.

I have a basic clone desktop PC with an INTEL Pentium 4 hyperthreading 2.8ghz processor running Windows XP home. I've even tried reinstalling my motherboard drivers and unistalling Clone DVD and reinstalling it. I don't usually use my computer when I'm burning and the only program that's loaded is the AVAST antivirus one. No screen savers or anything like that.

I can't figure it out so I thought I'd ask for help. A new DVD writer, different media, reinstillation of drivers and reinstallation of Clone DVD didn't seem to help so I'm open to other suggestions. Again, I use inkjet media. No paper labels (which I hate). And, the discs seem okay because they write fine the second time and play okay. I have less than 1% of DVD's that have errors.

Thanks,

Richard aka Bozopolis

Still happening

I followed the steps explicitly. It's still happening. Now I have a different computer and it's still happening. CloneDVD copies completely. It says it's setting up and erasing. Then it says media write error. Replace the media and try again. I take the same blank DVD out, put it back in, hit write and then it writes. Happened today 2 out of 2 times. I now have a completely different system (except for the DVD writer) and it's still doing it. It's my second writer that this has happened with so I don't think it's the writer. Again, my motherboard, processor, memory, and hard drive are new. Everything is freshly installed with XP Home service pack 2. Why does this keep happening.

I followed the steps explicitly.

No. You didn't. This time do so.

Also stop using Ritek blank media. Use Taiyo Yuden Premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus or Maxell Broadcast Quality.

Additionally (that is, in addition to doing what I actually requested in my initial reply this time), also answer these questions: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=393

Last edited:
I forgot

It asked me to post this information in my next message:

ab (default) REG_SZ DVD/CD-ROM drives
ab Class REG_SZ CDROM
ab EnumPropPages32 REG_SZ mSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider
ab Icon REG_SZ -51
ab Installer32 REG_SZ storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller
ab LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ PXHELP20 AFS2K ELBYYDELAY ANYDVD
ab NoInstallClass REG_SZ 1
ab SilentInstall REG_SZ 1
ab TroubleShooter-0 REG_SZ hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm

There wasn't an UpperFilters line. This was exact (I hope).

It asked me to post this information in my next message:

ab LowerFilters REG_MULTI_SZ PXHELP20 AFS2K

AFS2K - CD-Rom Driver by OAK Software and HP Memories Disc.

pxhelp20 - Part of Sonic Burning engine, it's made by prassi/veritas and licensed to Sonic. Comes with Winamp, 1click DivxToDVD

Well, as I doubt afs2k.sys and pxhelp20.sys are causing problems, your filters appear to be fine. Thank you for posting them.

1. Answer these questions please:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=393
(especially 6,7, 8--I do want Anydvd's status window and 9)

2. I would especially like to know if your burner is ide, sata, or external (usb or whatever)

3. If it's an ide burner, are you using an 80 wire cable? This is a very important question.

(picture from www.mikeshardware.com)
ide8040pin.jpg

4. If it's an ide burner, did you do this yet? http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1455402&postcount=3

5. If it's an ide burner, is the jumper on the back of the burner set to master? Is it installed properly as master?

6. Check windows task manager and before burning, ensure you don't have a ton of unnecessary programs running in the background.

7. Update your burner's firmware if available: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

8. Do not use Ritek blank media. Use something decent such as Taiyo Yuden Premium or Verbatim.

Last edited:
Sorry.

I did download the latest version of AnyDVD and CloneDVD yesterday before I installed it onto my hard drive.

2. I don't have any other Packet writing software on my computer

3. AnyDVD version is 6.1.6.0. CloneDVD is 2.9.0.9. I have no other burning sofware on my computer. Everything installed fresh yesterday including the operating system.

4. The problem occurs with the writing. This happens whether I'm writing from a DVD I just copied, or one that's stored on my hard drive. I have many old movies that I burn from my hard drive. I'm assuming they're either region 1 or region free.

5 . DVD-Reader = HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B Firmware version 0L06
DVD Writer = LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H Firmware version LL06

I'm using Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

I downloaded firmware for the LH-20A1H LL07. It said I didn't have a supported drive meaning mine is probably OEM?

I apologize. I can't find firmware for the LG DVD reader. Both are fairly new. I purchased them not more than 3 months ago.

6. I have 3 types of Media. I have the Ritek Ridata crap as you refer to it that I've used for years. It's 16X hub printable media. I have Taiyo Yuden 8X hub printable media and I have some Verbatim 8X hub printable media. The problem happens equally with all media I have used. It burns fine. It just doesn't burn until I take it back out and put it back in.

7. I've tried burning at 8X, 6X and 4X with the same results. Again, once it starts burning, everything seems fine. The end result has always been a DVD that plays.

8. I don't think this applies?

9. A window pops up saying media write error. I don't run anything else when I'm burning DVD's. I shut down everything from my taskbar except AnyDVD. It says to replace media and try again. I put the same media back in and it writes.

Finally, this started happening almost 4 months ago. It doesn't happen every time. I've replaced my DVD reader, writer, and now complete system. I've used different media. I dont' want to overstate it, but again when I put whatever media back into the DVD burner it writes fine and I've had only 1-2 bad DVD's over the last 4 months (out of 100's burned). I just wish CloneDVD would start writing after reading without my having to take the bland DVD out and putting it back. I do appreciate your help and suggestions. I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't want to do things right. If I still haven't provided the correct information, please be patient and I'll try again.

Richard

More infor

I found your message after postin.

1. Hopefully I answered the questions correctly.

2. The burner is an internal IDE one.

3. I think it's a 40 wire cable. It's the one that came with the motherboard and said CD-ROM. I was using a round cable before. My hard drive is SATA so I didn't use the 80 wire cable. I have lots of cables I could use. Which one is desirable:
Again, right now my reader is set as master and on the end of the 40 wire cable. The burner is set to slave in the middle of the cable. The cable is connected to my secondary IDE connector.

4. Yes I'm using the standard microsoft drivers. I did that with my old system and it defaulted to those on the new install.

5. The reader is master, the writer is slave I'm pretty sure.

6. I always check the tasks before burning. I remember when you'd get coasters if you tried burning a CD with anything else going so I don't multitask.

7. Again, I downloaded firmware from the Lite-On website. When I tried to run it, it said I didn't have a supported drive. So, mine must be an OEM drive. Nero Infotool (I don't have nero, just the infotool which I just downloaded to check my firmware version) says the firmware is LL06.

8. I have tried and will continue to try other media. My next order will be for Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. I think I only have about 75 or so of the Ritek ones. I accept your critique of the media. I thought it was okay. I've been using it for years.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
3. AnyDVD version is 6.1.6.0.

Try Anydvd 6.1.6.4: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=5048

DVD Writer = LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H Firmware version LL06

Does this firmware work? http://www.liteonit.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/ODD/LH-20A1H/firmware/DR20LL0A.zip

I apologize. I can't find firmware for the LG DVD reader. Both are fairly new. I purchased them not more than 3 months ago.

No need to apologize. I'm less concerned about the reader at the moment, since this is a writing issue.

Last edited:
3. I think it's a 40 wire cable. It's the one that came with the motherboard and said CD-ROM. I was using a round cable before. My hard drive is SATA so I didn't use the 80 wire cable. I have lots of cables I could use. Which one is desirable.

Use an 80 wire cable. This is required for most 18x or higher burners, since they support udma4. The blue (sometimes red) end goes into the motherboard. The black end goes into the burner. Please ensure the jumper on the back of your burner is set to Master. Generally, burners tend to work better when set to master.

The reader is master, the writer is slave I'm pretty sure.

Please change that. Make the writer master.

7. Again, I downloaded firmware from the Lite-On website. When I tried to run it, it said I didn't have a supported drive. So, mine must be an OEM drive. Nero Infotool (I don't have nero, just the infotool which I just downloaded to check my firmware version) says the firmware is LL06.

There are newer firmwares available. Whether they work for oem Lite-ons, I'm not sure. Please check my previous post.

firmware

No, that was the firmware I tried. I also found the previous one LL07, but the same thing happened when I clicked on that one. Message said, "No supported drive installed. When I use Nero's Infotool, it says it's that drive, LH 20A1H.

I'll change the cable and the jumper settings on the two drives (reader and writer) and see if that makes a difference. It may not happen again for a day or so. It just happens that it happened twice today and I only used it twice. When I used it yesterday it didn't happen at all.

I'll change the cable and the jumper settings on the two drives (reader and writer) and see if that makes a difference.

Yeah, do that (80 wire cable, set to master, etc.), and then try the firmware update again (with no disc in the drive)--and with Anydvd disabled.

No solution yet...

I changed the jumpers on the drives; the reader to slave and the writer to master. I also changed the ribbon cable from the 40 wire to the 80 wire. I tried burning two DVD's today. First one started fine and then actually did fail while writing. I had to replace the DVD and start again. 2nd time worked okay. 2nd DVD finished reading and before writing I got the same media write error. Took the DVD out, put it back and it wrote fine.

Yes, having AnyDVD on was not allowing the firmware upgrade. With it off, the firmware was upgraded fine. I just did it so I don't know if that will fix the problem. Since this is the 2nd writer I've experienced this with I'm really confused as to what I might be doing wrong. I've used CloneDVD for years and until this started a few months ago I never had any trouble at all despite the burner being a slave. If it was crappy media, why would it work after putting it back in? I'll try another DVD or two later tonight or tomorrow and see if the firmware upgrade changed anything. I'll also try that beta version of the AnyDVD. Am I the only person reporting this problem? I like being an individual, but not like this.

Again, thanks for the hint in doing the firmware upgrade. I'm now at LL0A from LL06. I never thought about turning AnyDVD off. Hopefully I'll figure it out eventually.

If it was crappy media, why would it work after putting it back in?

I doubt that's a bad blank media issue. The one that failed while writing is more likely a bad blank media issue. And again, Ritek is pretty terrible.

Am I the only person reporting this problem?

Others had similar issues, but they also had packet writing software installed (like Nero's Incd)--or they weren't using Microsoft IDE/ATA busmaster drivers. You did do this, right? visit http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1455402&postcount=3

Last edited:
One more thought...

Yes, my IDE driver is the Microsoft Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller version 5.1.2600.1106. When I reinstalled XP a couple of days ago, that's what driver it installed.

I have an idea, although I'm not sure if it is valid. This started to occur after I started using AVAST virus protection. I'm pretty sure the time frame coincides with the problem starting. I could be wrong. The only part that doesn't make sense with that is I have that on my wife's computer and I've never experienced the same problem. For years I used Norton, but when I was in Utah my Internet provider gave us McAfee for free so I used it for about 2 years. When I moved to California this last January my McAfee wouldn't work anymore because I'm no longer a Comcast customer. So, someone suggested AVAST because it was free and it was rated highly. I don't know if that could be the problem, but I thought I'd throw it out and see what you thought.

Again, I don't think I have packet writers. I don't have Nero or any other writing software that I'm aware of. I'm sure I don't have INCD.

I have an idea, although I'm not sure if it is valid. This started to occur after I started using AVAST virus protection.

That's a possibility. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with Avast, but other antivirus programs have caused issues before:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4027

I don't recall antivirus programs causing media write errors with Clonedvd.

Anyway, I would try some Verbatim blank media (as they tend to be less expensive than TY Premium if the discs fail) with your new firmware to see if the problem goes away. If that doesn't work, then yeah, try disabling Avast to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Whatever you do, don't bother testing with Ritek. I would just naturally expect problems.

Last edited:
Problem Resolved

Just wanted to report that the problem hasn't occurred for 2 weeks and dozens of DVDs. It wasn't the master/slave settings or cable that fixed the problem because it still happened after making those changes. It stopped after firmware upgrade and the latest AnyDVD upgrade. I'm guessing the firmware thing did it. Whatever, I'm happy it's working again and I appreciate all of the help. I've used up the last of my Ritek ridata blanks and have some Verbatim media to try next. I'm still surprised at the disdain for Ritek. I've used 1000's of them with 1% or less problems. But, live and learn. Verbatim isn't considerably more expensive so I'll see if there's a noticable difference.

Richard

I'm guessing the firmware thing did it.

More than likely . . .

Probably the Ritek blank media you were using wasn't well supported by the previous firmware you were using.

I'm still surprised at the disdain for Ritek.

Horrible junk, especially the G05s (G04 was o.k.) and Ritek +R DL blank media

Back