• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HP DVD1040i compatibility problem?

Pinback

I just replaced a defective DVD drive with a HP DVD1040i. AnyDVD now gives me two new problems:

1) Software still thinks the DVD has copy protection, even though AnyDVD is running and scanned the DVD. Is AnyDVD not compatible with this drive for some reason? I even upgraded to the 6.1.6.4 beta and same thing.

2) I set the region code on the drive to 1, but AnyDVD still reports it as region 0. From AnyDVD:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.4)
HP DVD WRITER 1040D EH23 2007/02/02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pinback said:
Software still thinks the DVD has copy protection

1. What software? What version number?
2. What is the full error message?
3. Is the drive installed as master?
4. Are you using an 80 wire cable?
5. Do step 8 from here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=321
6. Do steps 3 and 4 from here: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559
(note that step 4 requires you to post information)

2) I set the region code on the drive to 1, but AnyDVD still reports it as region 0

i. Right click the fox on your toolbar. Exit Anydvd
ii. Click start. Right click on "My computer"--->select "properties".
iii.Click on the 'Hardware' tab--->click the 'device manager' button.
iv. Open the dvd/cdrom branch---> right click on your optical drive
v. Click "properties".
vi. You should have a region tab. From there you can select a region.
vii. Select the region that matches the region on the disc
viii. Start Anydvd
ix. click the fox icon on your toolbar. Go to Video dvd--->settings
x. Change the default to match the region on the disc
xi. Click Ok

Last edited:
Thanks... that took care of the region problem. I had actually done that, but it didn't keep for some reason. Maybe because I had a DVD in the drive when I did it. Anyway, AnyDVD is showing the region now... thanks.

Now does anyone know why AnyDVD won't do it's magic with that drive? DVD Shrink gives a "Copy protection error - the read failed because the sector is encrypted". If I put the same DVD in my older Sony, DVD Shrink reads it just fine (thanks to AnyDVD).

Oops! Sorry... didn't see the first part of your post. I'll go do all the things you mention there and post additional information if necessary.

Thanks...

17. Help! My (SATA Lite-on burners) SH-16A7S sata and 20x LH-20A1H drives are not working with Anydvd and DVD Shrink/ Nero Recode. What should I do?

In Shrink's preferences, do you have "burn with nero" enabled? If so disable that option, and try again.

For Nero Recode, visit here

Thanks... that took care of the region problem. I had actually done that, but it didn't keep for some reason. Maybe because I had a DVD in the drive when I did it. Anyway, AnyDVD is showing the region now... thanks.

Now does anyone know why AnyDVD won't do it's magic with that drive? DVD Shrink gives a "Copy protection error - the read failed because the sector is encrypted". If I put the same DVD in my older Sony, DVD Shrink reads it just fine (thanks to AnyDVD).

How is the drive connected? IDE? SATA? USB?

Step 8:

Summary for drive F: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.4)
HP DVD WRITER 1040D EH23 2007/02/02
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2236597 sectors (4368 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: VOYAGEBOTTOMSEA_S3_V1_D2B
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

---------------

The drive is master on 2nd IDE bus. (Two hard drives on 1st IDE bus.)

---------------

Step 3 done. No difference.

---------------

Step 4:

Filter Check Tool v3.4

An Upper Filter found is: maplom
Filterdriver properties are:

A Lower Filter found is: AnyDVD
Name: AnyDVD
Caption: AnyDVD
Description: AnyDVD
AcceptPause: False
AcceptStop: True
DesktopInteract: False
DisplayName: AnyDVD
ErrorControl: Normal
ExitCode: 0
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
Version Info: 6.1.6.4
ServiceSpecificExitCode: 0
ServiceType: Kernel Driver
Started: True
StartMode: Manual
StartName:
State: Running
TagId: 0

A Lower Filter found is: PxHelp20
Name: PxHelp20
Caption: PxHelp20
Description: PxHelp20
DisplayName: PxHelp20
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PxHelp20.sys
Version Info: 3.0.43.9
StartMode: Boot
StartName:
TagId: 7

A Lower Filter found is: ElbyCDFL
Name: ElbyCDFL
Caption: ElbyCDFL
Description: ElbyCDFL
DisplayName: ElbyCDFL
PathName: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
Version Info: 5.2.1.2
StartMode: Manual
StartName:
TagId: 0

---------------

Hope some of that helps! I appreciate the effort...

Your filters are fine. Is your drive using a SATA or ide interface?

In Shrink's preferences, do you have "burn with nero" enabled? If so disable that option, and try again.

17. Help! My (SATA Lite-on burners) SH-16A7S sata and 20x LH-20A1H drives are not working with Anydvd and DVD Shrink/ Nero Recode. What should I do?

For Nero Recode, visit here

No difference. DVD Shrink still sees the DVD as copy protected.

No difference. DVD Shrink still sees the DVD as copy protected.

1. Is your drive using a SATA burner?
2. If no, is the drive installed as master?
3. If it's not a SATA burner, are you using an 80 wire cable?

Your filters are fine. Is your drive using a SATA or ide interface?

IDE.

Turned off "burn with nero" and tried to generate to hard drive but it still aborted with the copy protection error.

Have drive manufacturers gotten sneaky and figured out how to defeat AnyDVD? I hope not!

No. They haven't.

1. Is your burner set to Master?
2. Are you using an 80 wire cable?

(picture from www.mikeshardware.com)
ide8040pin.jpg

Sorry, I lied. The drive is 2nd device on IDE cable and set to slave. I have a hard drive as 1st device. (My 2nd hard drive is master on the 2nd IDE bus.)

An 80 wire cable? I have no idea. Does it matter that the drive it replaced was an equivalent Lite-On DVD burner and it worked fine with AnyDVD? Why would this drive require an 80-pin cable and the other not? I'm using the same cable I used with the Lite-On (I just pulled and swapped the drives).

Thanks again...

No. They haven't.

1. Is your burner set to Master?
2. Are you using an 80 wire cable?

(picture from www.mikeshardware.com)
ide8040pin.jpg

Judging by the pictures, I'd say 40 wire (the picture didn't load for me before I made the first reply). So you're saying I need an 80 wire IDE cable? I don't understand why the previous DVD burner would have worked with the current cable, but I'll go scrounge up an 80 wire cable and give it a shot!

Thanks...

Sorry, I lied. The drive is 2nd device on IDE cable and set to slave. I have a hard drive as 1st device. (My 2nd hard drive is master on the 2nd IDE bus.)

Some burners function better when set to master. As yours isn't functioning well with Anydvd, I recommend trying the burner set as master.

An 80 wire cable? I have no idea. Does it matter that the drive it replaced was an equivalent Lite-On DVD burner and it worked fine with AnyDVD?

Yes it does. Your drive is a 20x oem rebadged Lite-on burner (with lightscribe). And for udma4 support, which I'm pretty sure your drive does support, you need an 80 wire cable. Try one. They're cheap.

Last edited:
If that's a Darkstar reference, I'm impressed! I don't remember that line, but I'm impressed that you recognized the name.

No. Another user named fortworth had a similar issue recently with another lite-on HP rebadge. He was on just before you posted. I thought I saw him looking at your thread. A number of us also told him to use an 80 wire cable. Someone even offered to give him a free one, and he has never responded again although he does still visit these forums.

Some burners function better when set to master. As yours isn't I recommend you do so.

Yes it does. Your drive is a 20x oem rebadged Lite-on burner (with lightscribe). And for udma4 support, which your drive does support, you need an 80 wire cable. Try one. They're cheap.

Will do. Thanks again for your help...

Back