• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which BR discs do most use?

cp1966

I have AnyDVD HD, and a Blu Ray burner but I have yet to use it so to speak, as the cost of DL Blu Rays still seem to be to expensive to make it worthwhile.

What discs do most of you (that make BR back-ups) use?

Thanks in advance!

I have been using Optical Quantum 25gb 4X for approx. 2-3 years now. Absolutely no complaints yet! The best price I've ever come across was on runtechmedia.com...300 for $209 w/shipping (on sale). I doubt that can be beat!

Last edited:
Might help if you say what part of the world you are in as that can determine what cheaper discs are available to you. I'm in the UK and use TDK DL BD-R's which work out at £2.49 each before tax and shipping. When buying SL BD-R's try and get High to Low (HTL) with the dark underside as they are more reliable than the Low to High (LTH) discs with the yellow/gold underside

Sorry, Im in Region 1, USA.

I have used Optical Quantum sinle layer Blu Ray for home movies, and they are cheap and work great. But I dont have any studio Blu Rays that are under 25 gb. And I was unde the impression that largr movies could not be shrunk.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I was looking for DL discs.

Smartblu 50gb Dual Layer....

Try smartblu at media mega mall.com. You will need 50gb dual layer especially for the 1:1 3-D back ups. You will need a newer Bluyray player to use them such as the Pioneer 206 D. it is an excellent burner. I burn at 4X with no problems...

$3.56 ea with free shipping....
SmartBlu Blu-ray Disc BD-R 6x 50GB SBR6SSH50 - Lacquer Non-Hub Print 50pk Cakebox

MediaMegaMall.com

Sorry, Im in Region 1, USA.

I have used Optical Quantum sinle layer Blu Ray for home movies, and they are cheap and work great. But I dont have any studio Blu Rays that are under 25 gb. And I was unde the impression that largr movies could not be shrunk.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I was looking for DL discs.

Buy single layer Verbatim BD-R discs from Amazon. Avoid Low to High. An example of what I would buy at $1.60 per disc: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97457-Blu-ray-Recordable-25-Disc/dp/B00471HK0Q/

I used to recommend buying BD-R DL discs from the Japanese sellers on eBay as they were the cheapest price I knew of; however, the Japanese sellers now have their items on Amazon for even less. So, buy Mitsubishi-Verbatim BD-R DL discs from Amazon now. An example of what I would buy at $3.78 per disc: http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Disc-50-Spindle/dp/B0056DV0L4/

Ritek-4x BD-R media

I have had excellent results with Ritek 4x BD-R inkjet printable media. They are inexpensive (under $1 each), burn fine, and seem to work fine afterwards.

Using TDK BD-R DL 50GB 6x buring @ 8x on LG BH14NS40

They're not cheap though. Close to $6us/unit.

Thanks for the responses!

I have used newegg for many items, and was unaware of BD Rebuilder. I will check that out.

RiData has worked for me and is my first choice for 25GB BDR. For 50GB TDK from Japan is the best value.

Otherwise about 90 percent of Blu ray releases have a bunch of garbage to cross the 25GB threshold. I Use ClownBD and BDRebuilder to shrink it with little loss in quality. ;)

Cabong, be careful how fast you burn. Faster is not always better. But if you are burning that fast, make sure the verify is enabled. ;)

I recommend not burning above 4X speed. And also recommend not using the top speed of the disks' label. If you want it to work every time, choose the slowest possible burn speed and leave your computer alone while it's burning.

BTW, my interest is just in a clean reliable backup. I am not interested in high speed reproductiion.

Last edited:
RiData has worked for me and is my first choice for 25GB BDR. For 50GB TDK from Japan is the best value.

Otherwise about 90 percent of Blu ray releases have a bunch of garbage to cross the 25GB threshold. I Use ClownBD and BDRebuilder to shrink it with little loss in quality. ;)

I bought a bunch of RiData DVD-R discs years ago, 100 of them. Not a one of them burned successfully. After troubleshooting (rememeber this was a long time ago now) I found out that it was the discs that were the problem. I looked online (was new to burning then) and found that everyone agreed, RiData = bad. So, I would be extremely cautious about using any of their products. Perhaps their Blu-Rays are OK, but I'm not willing to play with RiData ever again.

I've written over 1000 Ridata Blu-ray discs with around 20 failures, and discs I wrote from 5 years ago still work fine now

I've bought hundreds of Optical Quantum discs and quickly ran out of storage space. With the impending domination of Cinavia, I thought it sage to invest in a AIOS media player and store my movies on HDDs and it has worked beautifully! Just this past Black Friday, Seagate had 3TB USB 3.0 external hard drives for $99 each! That will roughly store around 120 movies that would fit on just as many discs. Go HDD, guys... trust me. It will bulwark you against the Cinavia threat as well as assuage the need for storage space.

Last edited:
2 things I'd have to say.
1 If like me you always shrink your discs to Single layer then it's cheaper to buy SL BD-R's than to buy a hard drive Unless you manage to get one in a sale.
2 If your HD dies you lose everything, if 1 BD-R fails you only lose 1 disc.

As to Cinavia, just don't use a player that detects it

Cabong, be careful how fast you burn. Faster is not always better. But if you are burning that fast, make sure the verify is enabled. ;)

I recommend not burning above 4X speed. And also recommend not using the top speed of the disks' label. If you want it to work every time, choose the slowest possible burn speed and leave your computer alone while it's burning.

BTW, my interest is just in a clean reliable backup. I am not interested in high speed reproductiion.

I've watched most of all the movies I've burned, they're all 100% OK.

I knew I could do this, this is why I got that brand. Not sure it worth the difference in price thought.

Back