• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blockbuster picks Blu-ray

Ouch,….

“HD DVD” we hardly knew ye,…..

But wait netflix offers both HD DVD and Blu-ray why would they think they don’t have to compete on this level?

***edit***

It’s a little confusing:

Blockbuster will continue to rent the HD DVD titles it already offers and may expand its HD DVD inventory in the future but, for now, the company has placed all its chips on Blu-ray.

So what sales are they referring to?

Last edited:
I have to agree with how confusing this all is when you read contradictory statements.

That said, I wonder if Blockbuster is getting a financial reward for picking Blu-Ray. Personally, I think big name rental stores should not be making this type of decision. They should support both formats and let the market make its own decision given time. It's still far far too early to do what they are supposedly going to do. To me this isn't about picking the winner or even the better choice. It's a decision that may actually impact who ends up being the winner in the HD vs BD wars. Some will say this is purely a money issue. Yes and no. They will lose money by not stocking HD titles, IMO. They can stock both and make money from both sides of the battle. By only stocking BD they are shooting themselves in the foot. This does a disservice to the consumers at large and, frankly, could completely alienate a large portion of their customer base who only own an HD player be it a standalone Toshiba or XBox HD drive. A very very bad strategy. Someone didn't look at the big picture when deciding on this route, IMO. I hope this comes back to bite Blockbuster in the ass.

I have to agree with how confusing this all is when you read contradictory statements.

That said, I wonder if Blockbuster is getting a financial reward for picking Blu-Ray. Personally, I think big name rental stores should not be making this type of decision.
Not only rental stores. Tell it Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Lions Gate, Studio Canal, Weinstein Co. and Universal...

Time for SlySoft to "make a decision" and drop Blu-ray support for a change. :p :D

Notice that they didn't say that they would stop renting new HD DVD movies online.

Last edited:
Not only rental stores. Tell it Sony Pictures, Disney, Fox, Lions Gate, Studio Canal, Weinstein Co. and Universal...

I agree that it's wrong but it's also a choice they can make as a studio. I definitely feel that the #1 movie rental chain in the US making a decision like this is irresponsible, however.

Time for SlySoft to "make a decision" and drop Blu-ray support for a change. :p :D

Yes and no. [Some] People will still buy BD. If Slysoft were to drop support it would allow BD to go on in peace w/o worrying about you guys finding solutions for the crap that BD makes its users deal with. At the same time you'd support HD. While your support of HD might help the market... more studios might switch to BD because you aren't touching it.

I am definitely not a BD fan but I think your continued handling of protections for both formats is the best decision. It keeps pressure on both sides of the format war. Yes, it's more work for you and peer but it gives the users of your software more freedom for the time being.

Notice that they didn't say that they would stop renting new HD DVD movies online.

I have no subscriptions with NetFlix or Blockbuster for rental via mail.

[rant]
Heck, I don't even have a valid membership for Blockbuster. Like 7 years ago they changed some things and I had to fill out a new application so my old membership could be updated. I had a membership with Blockbuster for 9 years before that. 7 years have passed and I never got a new membership card or anything I was supposed to get. I contacted them and they had no record of anything. What in hell did I fill out in the store then? They also closed their nearest store and opened a new one that is just not worth the drive. Nonetheless, I have absolutely no love for Blockbuster anymore. I prefer Movie Gallery, anyway.
[/rant]

Anyway to get back on topic, handcuffing an HD user into needing to pay a monthly fee to rent via mail is a load of BS. That, to me, is extortion. "Sure you can still get HD via mail but you have to pay us every month for the ability to do so but if you'd just switch to BD you could pick it up at your nearest Blockbuster store..." That's crap plain and simple.

Of course time will tell what Blockbuster actually does. Until they actually go all BD in stores I won't take it as a 100% certainty. Speculation is just speculation and I don't see this as a completely done deal.

Me? I don't care. When I see the movie I want to see, I buy it.

I am sure someone got a huge payload for making this Blockbuster decision.

Netflix got a headstart then.

HD DVD is way better and affordable IMHO.

And easier to back up.

Well, after reading more and more articles I have a better grasp of what's going on but I still dislike it. They aren't discontinuing HD-DVD rentals in all stores but it's headed that way and they are basing it on sales figures, location, and essentially how much space it entails to have shelves of both HD and BD titles plus old school DVDs. I still think they're getting a financial incentive for their decision but we'll never know... til someone leaks it. It's still in their best interest to rent HD and BD online, of course, but for the people who want a rental now they'll be stuck with the old school DVD release or BD. Ah well.

Last edited:
just wondering why the only tested hd and bluray in 250 stores and where were these stores -sure note in my state i think it unfare to base these findings if the stores were in say LA hollywood vegas and such places im still sticking with hd

Back