• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Strange problems when ripping using xbox hd-dvd drive

amrud

[When I tried to post the first time, I got an error. Hopefully, this wont get posted twice.]

I have some strange problems when trying to rip planet earth disc 1. Using the anydvd-hd ripper, I get a "error reading from drive:" error message about half-way through the disc. Thinking that I have a bad disc, I tried to rip another planet earth disc 1. I got the same error -- but now towards the end of the disc.

I am using vista ultimate, anydvd-hd 6.1.6.0, and xbox hd-dvd drive. I tried a different computer (vista ultimate) and the anydvd-hd beta version and got the same problem. On a different disc ("the fountain"), I had the same problem ripping on one computer but no problems on the other one.

I also used a friend's xbox hd-dvd drive and ran into the same problem.

When I try to copy/paste instead of using anydvd-hd ripper, I first get a error that vplst000.xpl from the adv_obj directory cannot be copied (0x80070570 - the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable). If I skip copying that file, then the copy process copies most of the hd-dvd but throws a "the specified destination does not exist..." error towards the end while trying to copy a large evo file. I am copying to the local hard disk and there are no hard disk problems.

The discs play fine using powerdvd ultra.

By using different discs of the same title, different computers, different x-box hd-dvd drives, I still havent been able to pin-point what might be causing the problem. Any ideas re: what might be going wrong?

Hi there,

I am already using 6.1.6.2 on one of the computers. Information from status tab is shown below. I should also mention that when using anydvd-hd ripper on differen computers, I get the same error at different points in the disc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.2)
TOSHIBA DVD/HDX807616 MC08 10/03/06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a HD DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 5810240 sectors (11348 MBytes)
Total size: 11620480 sectors (22696 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: PLANET_EARTH_D1
Media is AACS protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!

1) It's entirely possible you have a bad original disc, even if it plays fine. Have you tried exchanging it (try another)?

2) Have you tried dragging and dropping the files off the disc instead?

Maybe James or peer will have other suggestions.

Hi there,

I am already using 6.1.6.2 on one of the computers. Information from status tab is shown below. I should also mention that when using anydvd-hd ripper on differen computers, I get the same error at different points in the disc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.1.6.2)
TOSHIBA DVD/HDX807616 MC08 10/03/06
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

Media is a HD DVD.
Booktype: hd-dvd (version 3), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 5810240 sectors (11348 MBytes)
Total size: 11620480 sectors (22696 MBytes)
Video HD DVD label: PLANET_EARTH_D1
Media is AACS protected!
Removed AACS copy protection!

This sounds like the problem I ran into with Norbit on blu-ray.

Try uninstalling AnyDVD HD, restart, install AnyDVD HD 6.1.6.2, restart, then try ripping again.

As I mentioned above, I already tried a friend's disc (same title). Both play fine in cyberlink and on xbox 360 but both have problems I mentioned above when ripping.

Also, I already tried draggig/dropping the files. From my post above:

"When I try to copy/paste instead of using anydvd-hd ripper, I first get a error that vplst000.xpl from the adv_obj directory cannot be copied (0x80070570 - the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable). If I skip copying that file, then the copy process copies most of the hd-dvd but throws a "the specified destination does not exist..." error towards the end while trying to copy a large evo file. I am copying to the local hard disk and there are no hard disk problems."

As I mentioned above, I already tried a friend's disc (same title). Both play fine in cyberlink and on xbox 360 but both have problems I mentioned above when ripping.

Also, I already tried draggig/dropping the files. From my post above:

O.k., try what roog suggested.

I just tried what roog suggesed. I get the same error.

I just tried what roog suggesed. I get the same error.

Try copying every file but vplst000.xpl using drag and drop or copy and paste. Since it plays ok you may not even need it.

When I skip the xpl file, it copies a few evo files but then I run into the same error as mentioned above when copying a larger evo file: it throws a "the specified destination does not exist..." error.

(I am copying to local hard disk and chkdsk shows no problems -- this is a strange error)

When I skip the xpl file, it copies a few evo files but then I run into the same error as mentioned above when copying a larger evo file: it throws a "the specified destination does not exist..." error.

(I am copying to local hard disk and chkdsk shows no problems -- this is a strange error)

To rule out hardware problems, rip another disc without deleting any of the files you've created so far.

Last edited:
Try copying every file but vplst000.xpl using drag and drop or copy and paste. Since it plays ok you may not even need it.

Can you copy & paste vplst000.xpl while AnyDVD is temporary disabled?
What UDF2.5 file system do you use?
Insert the disc, right click, Properties, FileSystem, please quote the *exact* name (might be UDF, UDF2.5 or UDF2.50)
Are you using VISTA? XP?

Sorry for the late reply.

Roog: I tried ripping "king kong". I didnt get any errors with either anydvd-hd ripping or drag/drop. With drag/drop for "king kong", I did get the same "file is corrupted and unreadable" for vplst000.xpl file but all other files copied ok. Powerdvd plays the anydvd-hd ripped version fine but not the drag/drop version of "king kong".

James: if I disable anydvd-hd, I can indeed copy vplst000.xpl file from the "planet earth disc 1" hd-dvd. The file system is "udf". I am using vista ultimate.

Thx.

Sorry for the late reply.

Roog: I tried ripping "king kong". I didnt get any errors with either anydvd-hd ripping or drag/drop. With drag/drop for "king kong", I did get the same "file is corrupted and unreadable" for vplst000.xpl file but all other files copied ok. Powerdvd plays the anydvd-hd ripped version fine but not the drag/drop version of "king kong".

James: if I disable anydvd-hd, I can indeed copy vplst000.xpl file from the "planet earth disc 1" hd-dvd. The file system is "udf". I am using vista ultimate.

Thx.

Do you have hard drive encryption enabled under Vista Ultimate? It may be causing your problems. Not many people have ultimate so you're blazing new ground here.

Roog: I am not using drive encryption (bitlocker). In fact, I am not using any of the ultimate features except for the remote desktop client.

Roog: I am not using drive encryption (bitlocker). In fact, I am not using any of the ultimate features except for the remote desktop client.

This is a tough one! Part of me says hardware the other part says software.

What we need is someone else who has successfully ripped the Planet Earth disc.

Let me sleep on it. Maybe, in the meantime, someone else will speak up.

This seems to indicate some sort of issue with Anydvd HD. I'll wait to see what James or peer has to say.

Do you have Nero's Incd, Directcd, DLA, or Dragtodisc on your system? If so, please uninstall that program.

Webslinger: other than clonedvd, I dont have any other cd/dvd ripping or burning programs on the pc's.

Running filtercheck from that link gives the following output:

Filter Check Tool v3.4

No Upper Filters found.

A Lower Filter found is: AnyDVD
Filterdriver properties are:
Name: AnyDVD
Caption: AnyDVD
Description: AnyDVD
AcceptPause: False
AcceptStop: True
DesktopInteract: False
DisplayName: AnyDVD