• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Newbie with newbie problems :(

Frank

SlySoft Support Team
Hi,

This is probably the only reasonable forum around so I am confident :)

I have a welll-running XP PRO system. Aside from normal Windows problems it really runs well.
Now I want to "get in the business" of working with DVDs and here is where I ran into big trouble.

I bought a Samsung SH-S182M Writer hung it on the SLAVE channel and powered up. The MASTER is a CD R/W device.I went downhill fast from there.

During the boot I got a Machine Check Exception X'9C'. :(
Since the reason for this was not clear I thought about my power supply.
I put in a 480W new supply - same thing :mad:

Just for fun I brought my old 1.2GHz PC out of the crypt and plugged the drive into the IDE channel and this booted clean. I can read CDs on it but after installing the Nero6 suite all I get when trying to run a DVD is "program is not correctly installed" in "ShowTime", an error I see in other forum input.
I was able to run Samsungs "Live Update" for the firmware.

So, back to the initial problem. Now that I know the drive is probably OK what is the problem on my other PC?

It is a KN8E Deluxe board, AMD 2800+CPU, 512MB RAM and Gainward + PNY graphic cards.
Nothing exotic.
I have seen some news on the web about "nVidia" chipset drivers causing problems. I did use the driver CD to install the nVidia set of drivers for the ASUS board. Could this be my problem?

Any tips appreciated.

Expat83

Not sure............
I would try switching dvd burner to Master, and cd-rw to slave. If that doesn't work, maybe set both to cable select? Worth a try anyway......
Good luck!

can you uninstall the secondary ide channel from device manager and reboot, that way it'll load MS drivers and not nvidia's. (this is if your using PATA, not SATA, i'm not sure about that)

but i'd put the dvd/rw on top as master, leave out your cd/rw just now, to see if the dvd/rw gets recognised, if it does, add your cd/rw as slave and try again, or leave the cd/rw out & just use the dvd/rw, as making an image to your HDD first then burning from there is better than burning on the fly. IMO

Last edited:
Samsung DVD Writer problem

Hi

Thanks for all these tips. I'll get on this today.
The cable is one that came with the MoBo and is very new, labeled with a tag "CD Drive" or something similar. The one for the HDD has "HDD" on its label.
I am using the standard IDE interface.

Thanks again !! :)

expat83

It works!!

Hi!

Thanks for the help - I plugged it as MASTER into the MASTER IDE connector (first coming away from the board) and let XP find it and identify it (driver is from MS, 2001 as CD ROM) and it didn't crash.
I threw in a DVD, started Nero ShowTime and the thing played!!

So now I know that a Machine Check Exception X'9C' can be a conflict or other disaster with a device, not necessarily memory, bus or power.
I suspect now it did not like being SLAVE.

I installed AnyDVD now and it works. I am really glad. :)

BTW: I note this drive has no region set. That's not a problem, right?

And the idea about leaving the CD R/W device out is a good one.
I'll plug this thing in just for fun but I'm really glad to have this DVD drive
running now. I can always copy to the HDD and then burn a CD.

:clap: thanks!!!

expat83

or, with out anydvd running, right click the red fox in the task bar and exit, and play a dvd from your region

Hi!

Thanks for the help - I plugged it as MASTER into the MASTER IDE connector (first coming away from the board)

The Primary (Master) connector is the one farthest away from the MOBO connection. Having only one device connected to the cable will not be any problem.
80 wire cable connections:
Blue: Motherboard
Gray: Secondary (Slave)
Black: Primary (Master)

Back